New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

External hdd for mbp.

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

RustProofCorn

RustProofCorn has a spectacular aura about

Hey fellas,

I really am in desperate need of more storage for my mbp I looked at getting a 1tb internal for my mbp but seems people just have different issues with that. So I think I'm in the market for a 1 to 2 tb hdd as fast as I can get for my machine. Is FireWire the way to go? I've read some peoples posts that USB 2.0 is 440 Mbps and FireWire is 800mbps. Then I have also read USB is actually about the same speed as FireWire. I just really want the speeds to be fast as possible. I have hundreds of gigs to transfer constantly. Anyone have a FireWire hdd? Some info would sure help.

"Before you embark on a journey of revenge,
dig two graves."

Confucius (504 B.C.)
QUOTE Thanks
Lbatson21

Lbatson21 has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: 2011 Mac mini and 2010 13" MacBook Pro, iPhone 4 and iPad

Wow, that's alot of data transfer. The issue with 1tb internal hd for MBPro is the size, the hd is to thick to fit. I believe they only have up to a 750gb now that will fit inside. Firewire 800 is definately the way to go for speed. Here's an article with comparisons FireWire Vs USB: Which Is Faster? - PCWorld Business Center
QUOTE Thanks
Buzzard2010

Buzzard2010 is just really niceBuzzard2010 is just really niceBuzzard2010 is just really niceBuzzard2010 is just really niceBuzzard2010 is just really nice
Mac Specs: iMac 21.5" i3 500gb HDD 4gb RAM OSX 10.9.2 - iPhone 5s 16gb

Firewire can certainly be faster so if you can get firewire then go for it.
As Lbatson has said they don't make a 2.5" 1TB drive yet so unfortunately it's not way to go for internal. There are reports of some people being able to do it with a 3.5 but over-heating has been a massive problem with doing this.

HTH
- Simon

If you have been helped, don't forget to use the Reputation system at the bottom of the users profile.
May 2011
Nominated: March 2011 & April 2011
QUOTE Thanks
RustProofCorn

Anyone have a FireWire external that can be recommended?
Or would I be better off buying a enclosure then a hdd?

dig two graves."

Confucius (504 B.C.)
QUOTE Thanks
Buzzard2010

Buzzard2010 is just really niceBuzzard2010 is just really niceBuzzard2010 is just really niceBuzzard2010 is just really niceBuzzard2010 is just really nice
Mac Specs: iMac 21.5" i3 500gb HDD 4gb RAM OSX 10.9.2 - iPhone 5s 16gb

Not any specific recommendations, but if you are transferring a lot then you may want to get a 7200rpm on Firewire. You could try an enclosure sure.

HTH
- Simon

If you have been helped, don't forget to use the Reputation system at the bottom of the users profile.
May 2011
Nominated: March 2011 & April 2011
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

Quote:
Originally Posted by RustProofCorn View Post
Anyone have a FireWire external that can be recommended?
Or would I be better off buying a enclosure then a hdd?
OWC stocks the best FW 800 external drives but they're a bit pricey. Have a look for yourself. LINK
QUOTE Thanks
crazypotatos

crazypotatos is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook pro 13" 2.26 GHz Core 2 Duo 8GB RAM 750 GB HDD

Firewire is faster, but the drives that have firewire are more expensive. I suggest just going out to bestbuy and getting a western digital 1tb for mac. Its already setup for mac, so you dont really have to do anything. I got mine for around 150$

QUOTE Thanks
RustProofCorn

Quote:
Originally Posted by chscag View Post
OWC stocks the best FW 800 external drives but they're a bit pricey. Have a look for yourself. LINK
Had a look at these drives my only dilemma is that I want at least 1tb with 7200rpms. So my question. Is it the drive u like or just the enclosure? I can buy that enclosure and put in my own drive but will it be up to snuff with there all in ones? Btw I've kinda been out of keeping up with hardware is my mbp capable of USB 3.0? Is 3.0 faster than fw 800?

dig two graves."

Confucius (504 B.C.)
QUOTE Thanks
SafeHarbor

SafeHarbor is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by RustProofCorn View Post
Had a look at these drives my only dilemma is that I want at least 1tb with 7200rpms. So my question. Is it the drive u like or just the enclosure? I can buy that enclosure and put in my own drive but will it be up to snuff with there all in ones? Btw I've kinda been out of keeping up with hardware is my mbp capable of USB 3.0? Is 3.0 faster than fw 800?
Capable of 5Gbps transfer speeds, the USB 3.0 interface will be significantly faster. If you have an Expresscard/34 slot, you can take advantage of it on your MacBook Pro. There are many solutions out there, but you might want to look into the CalDigit AV Drive (1TB/2TB) with dual interface USB 3.0 and FireWire 800 since it sounds like you're torn between connectivity.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Help with opening pdf file? | Macbook pro 15 inch keyboard repair »