Question Upgrades to make games run faster?
    Hi all-- new to the forum.

I have a macbook from summer 2008. (Macbook 4,1)
    Running OSX 10.5.8
    2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo Processor
    2GB 667 Mhz DDR2 SDRAM
    Intel GMA X3100

The only games I play are Sims 3-- the base game along with the ambitions and nightlife expansion packs.

The game lags terribly, I have to put all the graphics settings within the game on low. Game freezes often, and really can't enjoy the extent of the game consider graphics/speed/freezing issues.

I'm not terribly familiar with computers, but I've been told by a few people that more RAM would help this issue. I've also been told that I should get an upgraded processor chip.

I'm wondering what you guys would recommend to up the graphics capability/speed/game play and how you would recommend doing those upgrades/where I can find any new parts at the best prices.

Thanks so much! I think I included all the info you'd need, but like I said-- I'm not super experienced so if there's anything I left out please let me know where I would find the info on my comp to relay it to you.

Thanks so much for your help!

Specs:
    2011 13" MBP 2.3ghz, 8gig ram, OS 10.8.5
    Quote Originally Posted by amyzingxcomica View Post
    I'm wondering what you guys would recommend to up the graphics capability/speed/game play and how you would recommend doing those upgrades/where I can find any new parts at the best prices.
    The ONLY thing that you can upgrade that would have ANY chance of performance gains...would be ram...and that's ONLY if Sims 3 needs more than the 2 gig of ram you already have.

Otherwise...then ONLY way to make Sims 3 run better is to get a newer/faster computer. CPU & GPU cannot be upgraded.

- Nick
    - Too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
    - Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
    - Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
    - Apple Battery Info. Battery

Specs:
    Late 2013 27" iMac, iPad 3, iPhone 6s+, iPhone 6+, 3 iPods, Sierra
    More memory is not going to help. The reason the game lags is because of the integrated graphics chipset your machine uses. The Intel GMA X3100 is not really designed to give good performance for games that need graphics speed and rendition. It's adequate for card games, simple games, and those that do not need frame speed.

If you want to play graphic intensive games you need a machine that has much better graphics capability. The best would be a machine with dedicated graphics and its own VRAM.

Specs:
    Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
    Quote Originally Posted by nedz06 View Post
    I totally agree.. RAM only improves multiple applications running at the same time, as far as for gaming, 2gb of ram is already acceptable and will run in a minimum visual setting for a game. My advise is, try to upgrade your graphics card. it'll will work fine.
    You can't upgrade the graphics card (chip) in a MacBook/MacBook Pro!

Specs:
    15" MBP, 2.5GHz i7, 750GB, 6770M 1GB, iPad 3, iPhone 4, custom PC
    Quote Originally Posted by 6string View Post
    You can't upgrade the graphics card (chip) in a MacBook/MacBook Pro!
    sucks, doesnt it.
    If you find a post helpful, don't forget to use the reputation system (top right of post.)
    Join us in the IRC! How? Add me on Steam, Origin or PSN (Vita): robduckyworth

Thanks everyone... I sort of thought that might be the case (not being able to upgrade). Guess I'll just have to deal until I can afford a new computer.

Specs:
    Quote Originally Posted by amyzingxcomica View Post
    Thanks everyone... I sort of thought that might be the case (not being able to upgrade). Guess I'll just have to deal until I can afford a new computer.
    the new unibody macbook pros are quite good for video games like the sims: the graphics arent amazing but it doesnt really lag.

then again im sure you can find a nice PC laptop (get ready... some ones not going to like that term here ) which can run the Sims quite formidably.

its whats best for you really, but anything will be an improvement.
    If you find a post helpful, don't forget to use the reputation system (top right of post.)

Specs:
    2011 13" MBP 2.3ghz, 8gig ram, OS 10.8.5
    Quote Originally Posted by robduckyworth View Post

then again im sure you can find a nice PC laptop (get ready... some ones not going to like that term here ) which can run the Sims quite formidably.
    Actually we recommend this quite frequently for folks looking for better gaming performance. Mac's just aren't the best gaming computers.

- Nick
    - Too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
    - Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
    - Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
    - Apple Battery Info. Battery

Specs:
    MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
    Quote Originally Posted by robduckyworth View Post
    the new unibody macbook pros are quite good for video games like the sims: the graphics arent amazing but it doesnt really lag.

its whats best for you really, but anything will be an improvement.
    Find me a Windows laptop with a form factor the same size or smaller that is just as well designed as a Macbook Pro that can run games "formidably."

They don't exist. Sure I can get one, but it's going to be bigger, heavier, and usually run hotter. Let's just be honest at what we're really getting here.
    schweb | community leader
    flickr facebook twitter tumblr google+ about.me

Mac-Forums: On Twitter | On Facebook | On Flickr

Specs:
    Quote Originally Posted by schweb View Post
    Find me a Windows laptop with a form factor the same size or smaller that is just as well designed as a Macbook Pro that can run games "formidably."

They don't exist. Sure I can get one, but it's going to be bigger, heavier, and usually run hotter. Let's just be honest at what we're really getting here.
    well this is true. they will always be clunkier, heavier and just generally not as nice to look at

but lets face it, if you are looking for gaming, you might aswell get one, because you get a better spec (in some areas, i.e the processor) for your money. at them moment, round the corner from where i am, they are selling i3 and i5 Dells and HP Laptops for around 600. compare that to the nearest Macbook with an i3 is well over a grand.

obviously there are reasons why they are cheap (you cant upgrade the RAM past 4GB due to restrictions in some cases).

But hey, ill not give up mine, and id much rather have a core 2 duo MBP, due to exactly what schweb described. (and lets face it, i need OSX.)

Thread Information