New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

External Monitor Issue

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

LelandJLK

LelandJLK is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MBP 15 inch 2.8 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo 4 Gigs of ram

OK here is the issue I am having. I just bought a cheap Compaq Monitor (s20222a) as an external monitor. My computer shows the monitor is connected but the monitor itself (on the screen) says "No Signal". This is very frustrating! Help please before I throw this monitor out the window.

QUOTE Thanks
Buzzard2010

Buzzard2010 is just really niceBuzzard2010 is just really niceBuzzard2010 is just really niceBuzzard2010 is just really niceBuzzard2010 is just really nice
Mac Specs: iMac 21.5" i3 500gb HDD 4gb RAM OSX 10.9.2 - iPhone 5s 16gb

Try setting the resolution down quite low, try 1024x768 for a start and see if it then picks up the signal. If it does, keep going up the resolutions till you find one that A: Works and B: looks alright
If this does not work though you may want to reset PRAM & NVRAM

Resetting your Mac's PRAM and NVRAM

Hope this helps

- Simon

If you have been helped, don't forget to use the Reputation system at the bottom of the users profile.
May 2011
Nominated: March 2011 & April 2011
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

How do you have the monitor attached? Which adapter and cable are you using? What kind of inputs does the Compaq have?

Did you open System Preferences, Displays, and click on "Detect Displays"? If so, what does it say?
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

Have you changed the input on the monitor to match the port you have the cable plugged into?

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
LelandJLK

LelandJLK is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MBP 15 inch 2.8 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo 4 Gigs of ram

Quote:
Originally Posted by chscag View Post
How do you have the monitor attached? Which adapter and cable are you using? What kind of inputs does the Compaq have?

Did you open System Preferences, Displays, and click on "Detect Displays"? If so, what does it say?
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtomay View Post
Have you changed the input on the monitor to match the port you have the cable plugged into?
Thanks for your quick responses! It turned out Bobtomay was correct...I used the wrong cable. DVI to SGA is a no go. I had the correct adapter for my MBP but wrong cable. Glad I saved my receipt to exchange cables for free! Now don't I feel like the fool.
QUOTE Thanks
artemiscon

artemiscon is on a distinguished road

Glad you got everything smoothed out!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« superdrive problem | Average Lifespan of OEM MBP Battery »