putting 3rd party memory into mac- okay? void warantee?
    Hello,
    I am sure this has been asked before; but unfortunately my net is super slow here and I can't search very well...
    but I have a macbook pro 13" and I want to max it out. It has 4GB ram and I want 8GB. The mac prices are huge but it seems third party is much cheaper. I have used 3rd party many times before with no problems.
    Does this void the warantee if 3rd party is used? Is there a way for them to tell if I needed service and went back in and put in the original memory?
    thanks,
    Micah

Specs:
    Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
    Memory and HDs in Mac notebooks are user upgradeable.
    This will not void your warranty unless you damage your Mac in the process of upgrading them.

Apple Warranty: Installing Memory, Expansion Cards, User Installable Parts Does Not Void Warranty

Specs:
    Imac 27" Retina 5K, 512GB Flash Storage, 3.3Ghz, 16GB memory, OS X.11.5.
    Suggest using recognized Mac compatible dealers for your memory such as OWC and Crucial. There is no need to pay Apple's prices for memory and installation.
    Hang on to those original install discs like grim death! Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!

Quote Originally Posted by wrightm View Post
    Does this void the warantee if 3rd party is used?
    Apple officially considers RAM to be a "user upgradeable item." So they're good with it.

I can also tell you that, legally speaking, they aren't allowed to void your entire warranty just because you didn't use their upgrade parts or have them perform the upgrade. This was determined years ago in a legal case where a car company tried to void a warranty on a car because it was repaired by an independent mechanic who used non-OEM parts.

They *can* refuse to cover under warranty any damage done to your Mac while doing the upgrade if you don't have Apple do it, and they *can* of course refuse to warranty the third-party RAM. But third party RAM is covered by the third-party's warranty.

You should know that if at some point in the future you send your Mac in to Apple for repair that they love to almost automatically remove your third-party RAM, often even in cases where the RAM can't even logically be related to the problem that your Mac is having, and return it to you in a plastic bag with your repaired Mac. (i.e. they won't re-install it for you.)

+1 on the recommendation of OWC RAM.

Randy B. Singer
    Co-author of The Macintosh Bible (4th, 5th, and 6th editions)

Macintosh OS X Routine Maintenance
    OS X Maintenance And Troubleshooting

Specs:
    15" MBP, 2.5GHz i7, 750GB, 6770M 1GB, iPad 3, iPhone 4, custom PC
    if something goes wrong somewhere else, be sure to put the apple installed parts back in before taking it to the store, or they could blame you for the failure. (unlikely, but be on the safe side.)
    If you find a post helpful, don't forget to use the reputation system (top right of post.)
    Join us in the IRC! How? Add me on Steam, Origin or PSN (Vita): robduckyworth

Specs:
    Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
    One day in Contract Law class, the professor asked one of his better students, "Now if you were to give someone an orange, how would you go about it?"

The student replied, "Here's an orange."

The professor was livid. "No! No! Think like a lawyer!"

The student then recited, "Okay, I'd tell him, 'I hereby give and convey to you all and singular, my estate and interests, rights, claim, title, claim and advantages of and in, said orange, together with all its rind, juice, pulp, and seeds, and all rights and advantages with full power to bite, cut, freeze and otherwise eat, the same, or give the same away with and without the pulp, juice, rind and seeds, anything herein before or hereinafter or in any deed, or deeds, instruments of whatever nature or kind whatsoever to the contrary in anywise notwithstanding..."

Specs:
    15" MBP, 2.5GHz i7, 750GB, 6770M 1GB, iPad 3, iPhone 4, custom PC
    Quote Originally Posted by 6string View Post
    One day in Contract Law class, the professor asked one of his better students, "Now if you were to give someone an orange, how would you go about it?"

The student replied, "Here's an orange."

The professor was livid. "No! No! Think like a lawyer!"

The student then recited, "Okay, I'd tell him, 'I hereby give and convey to you all and singular, my estate and interests, rights, claim, title, claim and advantages of and in, said orange, together with all its rind, juice, pulp, and seeds, and all rights and advantages with full power to bite, cut, freeze and otherwise eat, the same, or give the same away with and without the pulp, juice, rind and seeds, anything herein before or hereinafter or in any deed, or deeds, instruments of whatever nature or kind whatsoever to the contrary in anywise notwithstanding..."

sometimes i wish this forum had a "like" button
    If you find a post helpful, don't forget to use the reputation system (top right of post.)
    Join us in the IRC! How? Add me on Steam, Origin or PSN (Vita): robduckyworth

Quote Originally Posted by 6string View Post
    One day in Contract Law class, the professor asked one of his better students, ...

Good one!

Randy B. Singer
    Co-author of The Macintosh Bible (4th, 5th, and 6th editions)

Macintosh OS X Routine Maintenance
    OS X Maintenance And Troubleshooting

Specs:
    Imac 27" Retina 5K, 512GB Flash Storage, 3.3Ghz, 16GB memory, OS X.11.5.
    It does. Hit the tick/cross button and leave favorable comment and Randy collects lawyer jokes.
    Hang on to those original install discs like grim death! Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!

Thread Information