Add a SSD to my macbook pro 13
    It it possible to add a SSD to my Macbook Pro 13". I just want a 8gb or 16gb to have my OS on. Then my standard hd for apps and files. It means I can boot up alot quicker and think its recommended to keep your OS on a seperate drive or partition. I seen a video that shows you how to remove your superdrive and add a second hd, this I do NOT want to do....

EightmanVT
    So...you want to keep your existing HD, keep the superdrive and add an SSD? I'd imagine that you'd have to add an external SSD. I don't see much unutilized space in these laptops.

Specs:
    27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 6, iPad Air 2, 4th gen Apple TV
    There's a hybrid HDD/SSD out there that seems be what you're looking for. The name has escaped me at the moment, but some quick google searching should find it for you. I think it was around $100 and offered a 500GB HDD and 8 or 16GB SSD. It supposedly adapts to your most frequently used apps and stores them on the SSD.

Seems like a pretty decent option. I'm bouncing back and forth between that and a 128GB SSD only.
    "Give so much time to the improvement of yourself that you have no time to criticize others"

Specs:
    13 inch 2012 Air
    Quote Originally Posted by fleurya View Post
    There's a hybrid HDD/SSD out there that seems be what you're looking for. The name has escaped me at the moment, but some quick google searching should find it for you. I think it was around $100 and offered a 500GB HDD and 8 or 16GB SSD. It supposedly adapts to your most frequently used apps and stores them on the SSD.

Seems like a pretty decent option. I'm bouncing back and forth between that and a 128GB SSD only.
    Newegg.com - Seagate Momentus XT ST95005620AS 500GB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache 2.5" SATA 3.0Gb/s with NCQ Solid State Hybrid Drive -Bare Drive

Still not SSD speeds but think these drives will be very good.

Specs:
    15" MBP, 2.5GHz i7, 750GB, 6770M 1GB, iPad 3, iPhone 4, custom PC
    if you want two hard drives, an ssd and a magnetic hard drive, you can get an OWC data doubler. you essentially swap out your optical drive and replace it with the SSD.
    If you find a post helpful, don't forget to use the reputation system (top right of post.)
    Join us in the IRC! How? Add me on Steam, Origin or PSN (Vita): robduckyworth

Specs:
    15" 2.4ghz i5 Macbook Pro

These momentus drives are having problems. Check out engadget.
    Late 2008 Aluminum Macbook Unibody, 2.4GHz, 250GB HD, 6GB Ram. iPad 64GB WiFi/3G, Apple TV Gen 1 and Gen 2, 1TB Time Capsule, iPhone 4, iPhone3.

Specs:
    iMac 2.7 i5 + MBP 13" 2.26 (2009) + IPad + iPhone
    Is it not possible to just add a solid state hard drive say 250gig? Pardon me for being ignorant or thick
    Les Armitage
    People make life changes because of inspiration or desperation - http://gardner-riley.com

Specs:
    15" MacBook Pro, i7 2.66Ghz, 8GB RAM, 512GB SSD; iPad 3, iPhone 5
    Quote Originally Posted by lesarmitage View Post
    Is it not possible to just add a solid state hard drive say 250gig? Pardon me for being ignorant or thick
    There isn't enough room, unless you're willing to sacrifice your optical drive (DVD). If so, then there are kits you can get to do this.
    In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is stoned to death.
    - Joan D. Vinge

Specs:
    Imac 27" Retina 3.3GHz, 512GB Flash, 16GB memory, OS X.11.4.
    Go to OWC and look at a 60GB Mercury Extreme SSD and install that and it will be large enough for your OS and applications. If you are a music and photography fan, store those on an external drive. When you set up your SSD do a clean install of the operating system and do not use cloning software.

http://eshop.macsales.com/shop/inter...olid_State_Pro
    Hang on to those original install discs like grim death! Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!

Specs:
    4.1 Mac Pro. 15" MBP. 13" MBP. 17" PB. PM G5. iPhone 6S+ 64gb Gold. Apple Watch 42mm.
    Quote Originally Posted by whitehorse84 View Post
    how many people here are using these drives?
    I'm using 2 of them, and haven't had any problems with them.

I also 1 in my mbp15 along with a 32gb ssd(in places of the optical drive). I have the OS installed on the SSD, along with some of the major apps(like imovie, iphoto, PixelMator,etc), and the rest of the files, including the Home folder in the XT drive. There's a total of 532gbs total. Took a few tries to get everything right, but now it's perfect.

This is what mine looks like:
    IMG_0108.jpg
    “If you are distressed by anything external, the pain is not due to the thing itself but to your own estimate of it; and this you have the power to revoke at any moment.” Marcus Aurelius

Thread Information