New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

MBP Running Extremely Hot

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Gravey

Gravey is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 15" MBP|i7 2.66ghz|512mb GT330M|4gb DDR3|500gb 7200rpm SATA|HD Display

Hey everyone, had a question regarding the safety of my mbp. I've had it for about 2 months and in that time I've been playing quite a lot of games; I have Starcraft 2 and The Orange Box from Steam. All in all the machine has handled them great with little/no chug on high settings. Typically running one of these games gets my cpu into the high 70's or low 80s (celsius) which wasn't a concern to me. Last Friday I purchase Counter Strike: Source and was disturbed to note that when running the game, my cpu skyrockets to an average temp of about 102. Should I be worried about cooking anything? I know there are failsafes to shut the machine down in the event of catastrophe but am I hurting my computer in the long run putting this much stress on it? I have a cooling pad as well but for some reason cs: source is extremely clocking the system even though it runs the same engine as my other Steam games.

Thanks for reading
-James
QUOTE Thanks
Buzzard2010

Buzzard2010 is just really niceBuzzard2010 is just really niceBuzzard2010 is just really niceBuzzard2010 is just really niceBuzzard2010 is just really nice
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 15" 2014, 2.2GHz i7, 16GB RAM, 250GB SSD, OSX 10.9.5 - iPhone 5s 16gb

I wouldn't worry too much about it. Sometimes I can just be playing Bejewelled Blitz on Facebook and my MBP can get between 80 - 102 just playing that. Then a minute later the fans kick in and it soon controls the temp to around 60-80.
As you say there are failsafes to keep the MBP safe. It will shut down if it gets too hot (I think we are talking around 130 though for this to happen.

Hope this helps a little

- Simon

If you have been helped, don't forget to use the Reputation system at the top right of their post.
May 2011
Nominated: March 2011 & April 2011
QUOTE Thanks
ClockworkWorld

ClockworkWorld has a spectacular aura about

I agree with Simon. My wife and I don't game on our Macs really at all, even those smaller games like Bejewelled. But Apple had their heads on straight when they designed these machines They will keep themselves within safe parameters, and if anything keeps them from doing so, there are failsafes to keep them from getting damaged.

Late 2010 iMac 27 inch  2.93GHz i7 16GB RAM 2TB HDD
2011 Macbook Pro 17 inch Glossy  2.3GHz Quad-core i7 8GB RAM 750GB HDD
QUOTE Thanks
Gravey

Mac Specs: 15" MBP|i7 2.66ghz|512mb GT330M|4gb DDR3|500gb 7200rpm SATA|HD Display

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzzard2010 View Post
I wouldn't worry too much about it. Sometimes I can just be playing Bejewelled Blitz on Facebook and my MBP can get between 80 - 102 just playing that. Then a minute later the fans kick in and it soon controls the temp to around 60-80.
As you say there are failsafes to keep the MBP safe. It will shut down if it gets too hot (I think we are talking around 130 though for this to happen.

Hope this helps a little

- Simon
The thing that concerns me is that it's running 100+ with the fans spinning at 6k+ rpm and a cooling pad under it. I suppose if it does fry in the next 10 months my warranty will have me covered.
QUOTE Thanks
ClockworkWorld

ClockworkWorld has a spectacular aura about

I wouldn't like it running that hot either, personally. As I said, we don't game, and ours always stays literally ice cold unless we're really working it extremely hard, so I can't imagine it hot. But like we said, I am sure it would prevent damage to itself Gaming is hard on any machine, Windows or OS X based, as far as cooling goes unless it's specifically designed soley for gaming, which the Mac line is not. If you're really concerned, I wonder if it would be worth taking it to the Apple store to get looked at? Nothing wrong with being on the safe side, and like you said, if it does somehow get damaged and the failsafes don't protect it, you have the warranty.

Late 2010 iMac 27 inch  2.93GHz i7 16GB RAM 2TB HDD
2011 Macbook Pro 17 inch Glossy  2.3GHz Quad-core i7 8GB RAM 750GB HDD
QUOTE Thanks
Buzzard2010

Buzzard2010 is just really niceBuzzard2010 is just really niceBuzzard2010 is just really niceBuzzard2010 is just really niceBuzzard2010 is just really nice
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 15" 2014, 2.2GHz i7, 16GB RAM, 250GB SSD, OSX 10.9.5 - iPhone 5s 16gb

I completely agree there. And this kind of thing is exactly what the Apple Genius Bar or Store is there for. If you are still worried take it in to them. I'm sure they won't mind having a look for you, and with your Applecare it won't cost anything but the trip there.

- Simon

If you have been helped, don't forget to use the Reputation system at the top right of their post.
May 2011
Nominated: March 2011 & April 2011
QUOTE Thanks
Gravey

It only runs that hot with cs:source which is what baffles me. Normal op. temp with itunes and adium and a browser running stays pretty consistently in the mid 50's to low 60's. I don't think it's a problem with my mbp itself but I don't want to keep clocking it out if it's going to shorten the machine's life. I need to do some experiments with lowering the graphics settings in the game to see if that changes anything. I'm running what's recommended for my hardware

Luckily though, Philly got an Apple store a little while back so it's not far if I need help!
QUOTE Thanks
iggibar

iggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: Mac Pro 4.1 15" MBP. 13" MBP. 17" PB. Power Mac G5. Galaxy Note 4 160gb*

I was just going to ask what your graphics are set at too. When I play on my mbp, I usually set the resolution at max, and decrease/turn off all settings for extra unneeded effects. I get very consistent results like that, while still getting great grpahics.

“If you are distressed by anything external, the pain is not due to the thing itself but to your own estimate of it; and this you have the power to revoke at any moment.” Marcus Aurelius
QUOTE Thanks
Gravey

Been really busy and haven't had time to check up on this thread. I have an update though...which is somewhat discouraging. I was importing some HD footage to aftereffects, machine started to peak around 97c so I opened iStat to see what my fan readings were. Right Fan: 5500+ rpm; Left Fan: 230 rpm?!?!?! I may have a burnt out fan or iStat is just bonkers, going to restart and see what happens.
QUOTE Thanks
TattooedMac

TattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 21" iMac 2.9Ghz 10.9.4 13"MBP 2.9Ghz i7 Yosemite 10.10 ~ iPhone5 iOS 8 ~ iPad Mini iOS 8 ~ ATV3 6.1

And if you have a read of My Macbook/Air/Pro is overheating, what do i do guide . . . Thread. There is some good info in there to go on.

Cheers

CogFrog Studio's ~ Photography, Apps and Web Development
Dont forget to use the Reputation System if someone has helped you out !!!
Arguing with a zealot is only slightly easier than tunneling through a mountain with your forehead!!!!!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Mbp will not power up battery pack is swollen | hardware and os upgrade »