Unhappy Two small hairline cracks on the hinge of my unibody Macbook
    Last night i realised that the two haves of my mac were not sitting flush, on closer inspection i realised that on the screen have there were two small hair line cracks coming from the very corners where the hinge is at. Any help of information as to why this may be would be greatly appreciated.

n.b i have not dropped my mac and it is only 5 months old

Specs:
    MacBook Pro 15" 2014, 2.2GHz i7, 16GB RAM, 250GB SSD, OSX 10.9.5 - iPhone 5s 16gb
    If it is only 5 months old from new then take it to an Apple store and get it replaced or fixed.

- Simon

If you have been helped, don't forget to use the Reputation system at the top right of their post.
    May 2011
    Nominated: March 2011 & April 2011

Specs:
    2012 MBP i7 2.7 GHz 15" Matte - 16 GB RAM - 120 GB Intel SSD - 500 GB DataDoubler Mac OS 10.9
    Yes, take it to the Apple Store or you might kick yourself later when it gets even bigger and it isn't covered anymore.
    There are three ways I can think of that maybe did it.
    a. Pushing the screen to far back once
    b. Picking up the the computer by the screen, it's a big no-no but I have observed plenty of people doing this
    c. A manufacture defect that you didn't notice at first.
    Use the reputation system if a post helps you!
    Mac Forums IRC Channel - Help build it by hanging out with us
    The next sentence is true. The previous sentence is false.

Specs:
    Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)

I thought only non- unibodies experienced this issue (if the cracks are where I am picturing) and that the unibody was supposed to fix this issue that is almost inevitable with non Unibody Macbooks. Can you include a picture? My MBP was less than one year old when it started getting these out of no where, and was told by apple that it was only cosmetic and it would not be covered under warranty. Well needless to say even with the utmost care the cracks eventually gave way and the whole screen fell off! Hopefully Apple has learned and yours may be fixed or replaced before your display falls off.

MacBook Pro CRACKED HINGE - anyone else?
    I was very, very surprised to start seeing hairline cracks appear on the hinge on my MacBook Pro. At the first crack sighting, I thought it was a hair, but when I tried to brush it away, I could feel it was a crack. Not one to panic, I wasn't overly concerned, but wondered about how it randomly appeared out of nowhere. I never take my laptop anywhere. My laptop has NEVER been dropped, nor has my screen has ever been bent backwards, which seems at a glance that it could be the logical cause. It looks like a stress fracture, BUT, the hinge on this laptop has never been stressed (again, never a drop or a backward bend or any other kind of rough treatment...I baby it!).

Today I called Apple about it, as slowly but surely, there are more and more cracks appearing, and one of them is huge. The cracks are on the bottom (underside of the hinge, too, I just discovered today). I'm worried that my screen will soon separate from the body. AppleCare suggested that I take it in to my local Apple Store, which I will do tomorrow. My warranty extends through December 2011.

Has anyone else reported a cracked hinge on their Macbook Pro to Apple, with success on getting it repaired or the MBP replaced? It sure seems to me that this is a materials defect. AppleCare rep wasn't willing to say whether this was a known issue, but he did reiterate that I take 'er in to the Apple Store for inspection.

I am attaching a picture of it that I just took with my phone....

-Karen
    Attached Images Attached Images

Specs:
    Late 2013 27" iMac, iPad 3, iPhone 6s+, iPhone 6+, 3 iPods, El Capitan
    Karen:

I would be surprised if they didn't offer to repair it for free. As a precautionary measure, make a backup of your hard drive prior to taking it on in. Use Time Machine to back up to an external drive.

Let us know how it went.

hi. not been on here for ages. thought i would log in. my unibody macbook also has 2 hailline cracks appeared overnight from the hinges. oh dear. 10 month old

my cracks are on the outter lid coming from the corner or the hinges...i am very careful with this item....

Specs:
    MacBook Pro 15" 2014, 2.2GHz i7, 16GB RAM, 250GB SSD, OSX 10.9.5 - iPhone 5s 16gb
    Quote Originally Posted by craigmackem View Post
    hi. not been on here for ages. thought i would log in. my unibody macbook also has 2 hailline cracks appeared overnight from the hinges. oh dear. 10 month old
    My advice to the previous poster applies to you too, 10 months old it will still be under the 12month warranty, get it into the Apple Store before it runs out

- Simon

If you have been helped, don't forget to use the Reputation system at the top right of their post.
    May 2011
    Nominated: March 2011 & April 2011

Thread Information