Female Jack (socket) too sensitive on Macbook computer

Whenever I plug something into my computer (headphones for ex.) I have to hold it as close to the computer as I can for it to work. And then, after I let go, whenever the slighest movement occurs to either the computer or the cable, it comes about 2mm out and it becomes undetected.

I have looked inside the jack socket but there seems to be no problem, nothing stuck inside and no "fluff" blocking the entry. I know it may sound petty but it is incredibly frustrating and it has been driving me crazy.

If anyone has a solution, I would be delighted.

Thank you very much.

N.B. I use a 13" Macbook I bought in December 2008.

Bretforton, Worcestershire
    MacBook Pro 15" 2014, 2.2GHz i7, 16GB RAM, 250GB SSD, OSX 10.9.5 - iPhone 5s 16gb
    Welcome to Mac-Forums Louis

Are you making sure that the jack is firmly pressed all the way in?

Have you also checked that the Jack you are trying to press into the socket is ok? i.e have you got anything else you can try and plug into it?
    The reason I ask is because 3.5mm jacks and sockets are exactly that, 3.5mm. There really shouldn't be any reason why something should not be able to be plugged securely into the socket.

- Simon

If you have been helped, don't forget to use the Reputation system at the top right of their post.
    May 2011
    Nominated: March 2011 & April 2011

Yes I have tried with several different cables and it is the same for all. They work perfectly on the jack socket on my phone though. I really can't figure out what it is...

Fort Worth, Texas
    27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, iPhone 6+, 3 iPods, El Capitan
    It's most likely a loose socket. By that I mean - on the inside of the socket there is a point where the jack fits and clicks into place at the same time telling the machine that "something's plugged in, shut off the speakers".

Is your machine covered under the Apple care extended warranty? If it is, take it on in and let Apple repair it. The headphone socket is mounted to the logic board in the machine and may require a logic board swap out. That's how Apple deals with problems regarding the headphone jack.

Ok I'll go check out the Apple Store to see if they can do anything about it.

Thanks for your help guys

Thread Information