New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

Is my 07 macbookpro worth fixing!!!!

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

wilsh17

wilsh17 is on a distinguished road

hi there, This is my first post ön any forum. It seems my late 2007 macbookpro is dying on me, i seem to be having multiple failures and wanted some advice on fixes i could try, cost of repairs etc....

list of failures:-

1. If i unplug the power adaptor.. 9 out 10 times my mac shuts down ..instantly. Thought it was a battery issue.. took it to a mac shop swapped bat... still no good. Was then told my logic board had gone they wanted £400 to fix it.(new one) Havent got this done ... is there a cheaper fix?? is it possible to buy and fix myself??

2. i use a 2nd monitor, large hd tv.... now that doesnt seem to be working, the tv has no input whatsoever. Have tried another pc and its not the tv at fault.... its the mac again!!

3. Last problem, but probably the biggest, recently my DVD drive has just packed up.... Discs and CD's go in, it crunches, clicks... makes a lot of niose then just spits them out again. It is trying but to no avail. on any disc!!!
Is ther any tips or tricks to try? maybe a clean? Or is it a new drive?? And can this be done on the cheap???

I know this is alot of questions but i appreciate any advise on any of these matters...... been thinkin of getting a windows PC, so if you can help... i wont!!

Thanks in advance!!
mark
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

If your logic board is bad (as the Mac Shop you took it to suggested)...this would probably be enough to say that it's probably not worth fixing. Then add problems 2 & 3...and now you have three problems...making repair of this MBP financially not worth it.

Problem #3 is NOT the biggest problem. A busted DVD drive is no where near as bad as a bad logic board (if the logic board truly is bad).

As far as repairing the logic board...I doubt it. It's a pretty complex thing to do. You certainly could try to find a used logic board...and replace it yourself. But finding a good used one is not easy...and may not even save you much money over a new one.

As far as getting a Windows computer. If you feel this is what you got to do...then do it. We're not here to convince anyone to stay "Mac" if they don't want to. But since you have been a "Mac User"...I assume you like the Mac OS...and thus going to Windows will be different.

Good luck deciding,

- Nick

- Too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
ClockworkWorld

ClockworkWorld has a spectacular aura about

Welcome to the forums! Sorry to hear about your troubles!

Just did a quick Google search on logic boards for a 2007 Macbook Pro… They don't seem to be cheap Actually, a couple that popped up for sale, were even marked very near £400. So it seems like that's not an unreasonable price for repair, sadly they are an expensive fix. But it is completely possible to buy and fix yourself, depending on your skill set

I don't use external monitors, so I don't know much about it. But I suppose it's possible that your external monitor trouble and the disc drive problems could be related to the logic board? I'm not sure of any tricks or tips as far as making them work, but perhaps someone here will be able to help

Like pig said, we can't convince to to stay with your Mac. But you might do a little more investigating. Even though it might end up being a pricy fix, it's possible that the fix could still be cheaper than a new Windows PC

Best of luck and I hope someone here pops up with a cheaper way to do things for you!

Late 2010 iMac 27 inch  2.93GHz i7 16GB RAM 2TB HDD
2011 Macbook Pro 17 inch Glossy  2.3GHz Quad-core i7 8GB RAM 750GB HDD
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz, 16GB memory, OS 10.10.1

Pig? Pig? I think he much prefers Nick clockwork!

You would like a new model just go ahead and purchase, and then see what you can get for the MB selling it for parts on eBay.

Hang on to those original install discs like grim death! Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!
QUOTE Thanks
EvenStranger

EvenStranger is just really niceEvenStranger is just really niceEvenStranger is just really niceEvenStranger is just really niceEvenStranger is just really nice
Mac Specs: Currently 13" Late 2010 MBA, 4GB/128GB; Early 2011 13" MBP, dual core i7 2.7ghz, 4gb ram, 500gb hd

Before you purchase a new unit, consider Apple's depot repair service. If the computer doesn't have any case damage, you can have Apple repair it under their flat rate program for around $310 plus tax. Case damage would increase that price substantially, as much as $1200, since the optical drive's involved. But, if the case is in good shape and there's no liquid damage, $310 might be worth getting everything fixed at one time. Turn around time is usually a week or so.
QUOTE Thanks
ClockworkWorld

ClockworkWorld has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by harryb2448 View Post
Pig? Pig? I think he much prefers Nick clockwork!
Oops Was very sleepy at that time of the morning... Apologies Nick!!

Late 2010 iMac 27 inch  2.93GHz i7 16GB RAM 2TB HDD
2011 Macbook Pro 17 inch Glossy  2.3GHz Quad-core i7 8GB RAM 750GB HDD
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClockworkWorld View Post
Oops Was very sleepy at that time of the morning... Apologies Nick!!
No problems...all's good.

- Nick

- Too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
Kevriano

Kevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.

Yeah, but Pig is short for Pigoo, so easily done, right porky?

To the OP, though that flat rate is decent, I still think that with the extra issues, it really is beyond economical repair to be fair.

Try my custom Mac Forums Search Engine: Mac Forums Google Search

Please use the reputation system if you consider any help given useful (it's the little ✓/✘ on the left <---)

QUOTE Thanks
robduckyworth

robduckyworth is a name known to allrobduckyworth is a name known to allrobduckyworth is a name known to allrobduckyworth is a name known to allrobduckyworth is a name known to allrobduckyworth is a name known to allrobduckyworth is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, 2.5GHz i7, 750GB, 6770M 1GB, iPad 3, iPhone 4, custom PC

buy a new one, take the old one apart, sell the RAM and Hard drive. youll get a bit of money back.

If you find a post helpful, don't forget to use the reputation system (top right of post.)
Join us in the IRC! How? Add me on Steam, Origin or PSN (Vita): robduckyworth
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Macbook Pro Start Up Loading Bar | SDXC in mid-2010 MacBook Pro »