Can't download torrents!!! please help!!!
    OK,

This has been an issue I have been having for a very very long time. Please let me know what I am missing, because I have scoured forums and google trying to find the answer.

OSX 10.4.11
    My firewall is turned off
    Transmission claims my 51413 port is open, and I an be seen by canyouseeme.org
    Yet, when I load a torrent to Transmission, 0 peers. I do use a wireless router, but from what I have read, a router firewall should not be an issue if plugged in by ethernet cable, which I am now.

Using bittorrent, I get "Checking for Firewall"...

I am so fed up that I am considering buying a new computer even though this one works perfectly (otherwise).

Please Help!

Specs:
    27" iMac i7 (2011) 10.11, Mac Mini i5 (2014), iPhone6s, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 9.7, AppleTV (4)
    Do other computers work through that router?

Does you ISP use Traffic Shaping to block torrent traffic?
    Not been around these parts for a while. Trying to change that . .

Please use the reputation system if you think you've been helped - bottom left of this post

Specs:
    15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
    Purchasing whatever it is you're trying to get via torrent would be cheaper than a new computer.
    I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
    In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.

Specs:
    20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.
    Is what you're grabbing well seeded?
    Try my custom Mac Forums Search Engine: Mac Forums Google Search

Please use the reputation system if you consider any help given useful (it's the little ✓/✘ on the left <---)

Specs:
    27" iMac i7 (2011) 10.11, Mac Mini i5 (2014), iPhone6s, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 9.7, AppleTV (4)
    Quote Originally Posted by bobtomay View Post
    Purchasing whatever it is you're trying to get via torrent would be cheaper than a new computer.
    Benefit of the doubt? . . . . . there are many free and legal reasons to use a torrent client.

Please use the reputation system if you think you've been helped - bottom left of this post

Specs:
    15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
    And almost all of them have other ways to get their stuff that don't require getting it via torrent - it's only a suggestion - no aspersion intended.

Even trying to download most Linux variants that are pretty much all by torrent - a CD can be ordered for extremely cheap - like less than $5 - a lot cheaper than a new computer.

Especially as this has been going on for a "very very long time" - just a thought.

I am no torrent expert, use it extremely rarely, and have found that almost everything I've wanted that can be had via torrent can be had via other ways.
    I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
    In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.

Specs:
    4.1 Mac Pro. 15" MBP. 13" MBP. 17" PB. PM G5. iPhone 6S+ 64gb Gold. Apple Watch 42mm.
    Transmission should work perfectly fine right after downloading. One problem I can think of is that maybe your ISP has provisions to deny access to torrent downloads. Try using someone else's internet to double check.
    “If you are distressed by anything external, the pain is not due to the thing itself but to your own estimate of it; and this you have the power to revoke at any moment.” Marcus Aurelius

Specs:
    Late 2013 27" iMac, iPad 3, iPhone 6s+, iPhone 6+, 3 iPods, Sierra
    I am no torrent expert, use it extremely rarely, and have found that almost everything I've wanted that can be had via torrent can be had via other ways.
    Gotta agree. In my humble opinion, torrents exist for one reason: And that is to get software that you don't want to pay for. In other words, illegal downloads. With today's high speed connections, (most places) there should never be a reason to use torrents. Some folks will say that they use it to download large downloads (Linux Ubuntu, etc) that are easily interrupted, but like stated, you can get a CD or use a download manager.

Quote Originally Posted by mrplow View Post
    Do other computers work through that router?

Does you ISP use Traffic Shaping to block torrent traffic?
    I had the same issue where I lived last, and I was downloading torrents through ethernet on another there with no problems. My service provieder is the largest in Canada, if they were blocking torrents it would be well documented, but can't find anything on it.

Any chance reformatting might have an effect?

Specs:
    It's very unlikely re-formatting will help. There's slim to no chance

Things I'd try:
    1. try your Mac at a friends house (you don't say what hardware you have so not sure on the practicalities of this)
    2. Have a friend try a torrent using the same ports at your home using thier hardware
    3. Try a different torrent client.

I'm in the UK, no idea which ISP is Canada's biggest. Is your ISP Rogers? If so they admit traffic shaping

Thread Information