Question MBA hitting 105 degrees, CPU overworking. Whats wrong?
    This is now happening for the second time in a week. My CPU will randomly start working at 35-60% (both cores) with only a Safari browser open and maybe a Pages doc open, as a result the CPU temp hits 105 and the fan is maxxed at 6200rpm. I have shut down and restarted and checked the Activity Monitor for any unusual apps running and nothing is running that shouldn't be.
    Last time this happened it suddenly just stopped and went back to running normal.

What could this be?
    My MBA is a 1st gen and has never had any issues like this before.

Specs:
    Late 2013 27" iMac, iPad 3, iPhone 6s+, iPhone 6+, 3 iPods, El Capitan
    Were you watching streaming video or on a site that uses Flash for display or action movement?

Specs:
    2013 MBA 13" - OS X 10.11
    Also, .... have you selected " All Processes " in Activity monitor ( Upper right hand corner )
    What process is burning all the CPU cycles ?

Cheers ... McBie
    A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any invention in human history - with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila.
    The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.

Quote Originally Posted by chscag View Post
    Were you watching streaming video or on a site that uses Flash for display or action movement?
    Not at all, I know youtube vids will get it running hot, but not this hot. Right now I have a Safari browser open and 2 Pages docs. I can even close everything down and still the CPU is cookin.

Specs:
    21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
    *C or *F

Have a read of the The Official "My MacBook/Air/Pro is overheating, what do I do?" Guide.

Might give you some pointers

Cheers
    Dont forget to use the Reputation System if someone has helped you out !!!
    Arguing with a zealot is only slightly easier than tunneling through a mountain with your forehead!!!!!
    MoTM ☆☆☆

Specs:
    2012 13" MBP (2.5 i5, 8GB)
    I assume you're talking metric here - if not, 105 isn't anything to worry about. If it's hitting 105C, then there is something that needs to be resolved. While I agree that Flash can increase the CPU temperature given its need to use much more CPU than it has to, it shouldn't bring the temperature anywhere near 105. I've never seen my CPU go any higher than 85 and that was when this machine was working hard. What do you have open in those tabs? What kind of surface are you using your machine on? What are the specs of your machine?
    Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
    M-F Blog :: Write for the blog
    Writing a Quality Post

Quote Originally Posted by vansmith View Post
    I assume you're talking metric here - if not, 105 isn't anything to worry about. If it's hitting 105C, then there is something that needs to be resolved. While I agree that Flash can increase the CPU temperature given its need to use much more CPU than it has to, it shouldn't bring the temperature anywhere near 105. I've never seen my CPU go any higher than 85 and that was when this machine was working hard. What do you have open in those tabs? What kind of surface are you using your machine on? What are the specs of your machine?
    What ever the temps are in the Dashboard. The bottom is very hot.
    I have this web page open and had FB open for a bit, plus a Pages doc, comp in on a desk, vents are clean and open.

Specs are 1.6ghz, 80gb HD, 2gb memory, integrated video card....i can't remember the rest, its the 1st gen MBA.

Temps are in *C

Specs:
    Quote Originally Posted by Guvnerhutch View Post
    Not at all, I know youtube vids will get it running hot, but not this hot. Right now I have a Safari browser open and 2 Pages docs. I can even close everything down and still the CPU is cookin.

Close all apps and have a look at activity monitor as I suggested above.
    Sort the processes by CPU usage and post a screenshot.

Cheers ... McBie
    A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any invention in human history - with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila.
    The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.

I don't know how to post a screen shot.

The only thing using CPU on the activity monitor is the activity monitor, 2.9%

Problem solved!

thats was easy, I opened up "all processes" which i never thought to do and found a document waiting to print, CPU 98%. Quit that and already temps are down to 61, CPU just barely working.

Thanks!

Specs:
    You're welcome.

Cheers ... McBie

Specs:
    2012 13" MBP (2.5 i5, 8GB)
    I don't know how to post a screen shot.
    Just for future reference:
    • Command-Shift-3: Screenshot of entire screen.
    • Command-Shift-4: Screenshot of selected area.
    • Command-Shift-4 and then press spacebar: Picture of selected window.
    Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
    M-F Blog :: Write for the blog
    Writing a Quality Post

Specs:
    2011 13" MBP 2.3ghz, 8gig ram, OS 10.8.5
    Problem solved!

thats was easy, I opened up "all processes" which i never thought to do and found a document waiting to print, CPU 98%. Quit that and already temps are down to 61, CPU just barely working.

Thanks!
    Congratulations finding the problem! 105C is pretty darn hot!

- Nick
    - Too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
    - Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
    - Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
    - Apple Battery Info. Battery

Thread Information