New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

Macbook whines when charging

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

cvgator

cvgator is on a distinguished road

I just got a brand new 17" MBP and right out of the box, it whines noticeably when plugged in. The whine goes away when I unplug the power, but if you leave the power connected and turn the computer off, it continues to whine. Any suggestions? I don't live very close to an Apple store, so taking it in will be a bit inconvenient.
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

Since the machine is brand new and a MBP 17" model is quite expensive to purchase, I'm sure you want to resolve the whining. Take it to the nearest Apple store. Call ahead and make an appointment first.
QUOTE Thanks
ClockworkWorld

ClockworkWorld has a spectacular aura about

I understand it's inconvenient to drive to the store... I'm not sure how far it is from you, ours is about 3 hours so I understand the hassle... But as much as these cost, and as serious a problem as that could be, +1 for finding a way to take it in. Make an appointment as chscag said, they'll get you taken care of

Late 2010 iMac 27 inch  2.93GHz i7 16GB RAM 2TB HDD
2011 Macbook Pro 17 inch Glossy  2.3GHz Quad-core i7 8GB RAM 750GB HDD
QUOTE Thanks
MacForCash

MacForCash is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: iMac 27 i7, MacBook Pro 15 i5, MacBook 2.4, iPad, iPhone

Apple tired to setup a new mac addict with a "New MacBook Pro" Hahaha joke. Can't you turn on the computer at the apple store before you buy it?
QUOTE Thanks
ClockworkWorld

ClockworkWorld has a spectacular aura about

No... As far as I know they will not let you take a computer brand new, still sealed in the box, open it, get your fingers all over it, and test it out. What happens if you decide you don't want it? That's why they have shelf demos. I guess you could open it and turn it on before you leave, but not before you buy it...

Late 2010 iMac 27 inch  2.93GHz i7 16GB RAM 2TB HDD
2011 Macbook Pro 17 inch Glossy  2.3GHz Quad-core i7 8GB RAM 750GB HDD
QUOTE Thanks
6string

6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)

If it is brand new though, as in within 14days since purchase, I believe in most if not all Apple stores worldwide, just like here in Australia, you can just walk into the store and they will exchange it for a new machine.

As much as my believe that this is world wide, I know that this is at least the case for Australia and America.

Returns & Refunds - Apple Store (Australia)
Apple - Legal - Sales Policies - U.S. Retail Sales

Quote:
If you are not satisfied with your Apple purchase, return it with the original receipt and original packaging within fourteen (14) calendar days of the date of purchase. If the item is returned unopened, in the original box, we will exchange it or offer a refund based only on the original payment method.
Even though it says unopened, if it is damaged (faulty), it is accepted as a valid reason for being opened and returned, and the refund or exchange will still be honoured.

Quote:
If you are a consumer and have purchased faulty or mis-described products, you should return them as soon as possible after discovery of the fault or mis-description. You must also provide the original receipt or proof of purchase. If investigation reveals the products as sold were faulty or mis-described, Apple will replace or repair them or provide you with a full refund.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Hard drive upgrade questions | Macbook Pro stops detecting external display. »