New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

Macbook memory - what to buy/more than 4gb will it work?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

cscott0202

cscott0202 is on a distinguished road

Hi to all,

I have a late 2008 Macbook Pro (one of the first unibody released versions) and it is desperately struggling.

I work with music, media, video editing etc but seem to be asking for more than i am bargaining for.

I run: Logic Studio, Photoshop, Dreamweaver (along with background apps such as mail, i tunes, safari). Obviously the main media apps I try to run by themselves but still seem to have memory problems. I am always encountering overload problems with playback on Logic.
I am looking to run boot camp too for Flash cs4/5.

The laptop currently has 2 x 1gb memory.

Size: 1 GB
Type: DDR3
Speed: 1067 MHz
Manufacturer: 0x80AD
Part Number: 0x484D54313132533641465236432D47372020

Do i upgrade to 2x2gb or to a 6gb/8gb. I have been told this laptop doesnt take more than 4gb.

Apple have quotes 166 for 2 x 2gb.

Would love to hear your advice??

Regards,
Chris
QUOTE Thanks
Buzzard2010

Buzzard2010 is just really niceBuzzard2010 is just really niceBuzzard2010 is just really niceBuzzard2010 is just really niceBuzzard2010 is just really nice
Mac Specs: iMac 21.5" i3 500gb HDD 4gb RAM OSX 10.9.2 - iPhone 5s 16gb

If i'm right about which machine you have Apple's official response is 4GB but unofficially it's 6GB.
Get yourself over to Crucial.com , in the top right hand corner choose your country. Let crucial scan your computer then it will give you your maximum RAM info etc along with links to buy the RAM yourself.
For what you need I suggest the 4GB option but if you have the money get the 6GB.

Hope this helps
- Simon

If you have been helped, don't forget to use the Reputation system at the bottom of the users profile.
May 2011
Nominated: March 2011 & April 2011
QUOTE Thanks
True Bassist

True Bassist is a jewel in the roughTrue Bassist is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: MBP/2.53GHz i5/4GB RAM/500GB HDD/15" LED Screen/Intel HD Graphics & NVIDIA GeForce GT 330M

Are you in the UK? I have the RAM you need sitting around collecting dust if so.
QUOTE Thanks
cscott0202

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzzard2010 View Post
If i'm right about which machine you have Apple's official response is 4GB but unofficially it's 6GB.
Get yourself over to Crucial.com , in the top right hand corner choose your country. Let crucial scan your computer then it will give you your maximum RAM info etc along with links to buy the RAM yourself.
For what you need I suggest the 4GB option but if you have the money get the 6GB.

Hope this helps
- Simon
Hi Simon, thanks for your reply.

I have scanned my macbook using crucial, and it seems to say the maximum is 2 x 2gb. For what I am going to be doing in the future, it makes sense to at least go for the 6gb. What do you think.? will 2 x 2gb (4gb) run faster as a pair than the unmatched 2gb and 4gb?

Cheeers
QUOTE Thanks
cscott0202

Quote:
Originally Posted by True Bassist View Post
Are you in the UK? I have the RAM you need sitting around collecting dust if so.
Hi true bassist,

Yes I am located in the West Midlands.

Sounds wicked mate, whats the exact specs you have?

Do you mind me asking whether its been used or not? Have you upgraded since?

Cheers bud
QUOTE Thanks
robduckyworth

robduckyworth is a name known to allrobduckyworth is a name known to allrobduckyworth is a name known to allrobduckyworth is a name known to allrobduckyworth is a name known to allrobduckyworth is a name known to allrobduckyworth is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, 2.5GHz i7, 750GB, 6770M 1GB, iPad 3, iPhone 4, custom PC

my advice would be do not buy it from apple. look on amazon and crucial.

If you find a post helpful, don't forget to use the reputation system (top right of post.)
Join us in the IRC! How? Add me on Steam, Origin or PSN (Vita): robduckyworth
QUOTE Thanks
True Bassist

Mac Specs: MBP/2.53GHz i5/4GB RAM/500GB HDD/15" LED Screen/Intel HD Graphics & NVIDIA GeForce GT 330M

Quote:
Originally Posted by cscott0202 View Post
Hi true bassist,

Yes I am located in the West Midlands.

Sounds wicked mate, whats the exact specs you have?

Do you mind me asking whether its been used or not? Have you upgraded since?

Cheers bud
Hey cscott0202.

It was in my previous MBP which was one of the first 2008 Unibody designs (same as yours most likely) for about 2 weeks. It's been living in it's anti-static packaging in it's box from crucial since then.

Had no problems with it, I just upgraded to newer unibody 2 weeks after I upgraded the RAM!

The spec is (as written on the packaging) 2 x 2GB 204-PINN SODIMM 256MX64 DDR3 PC38500.
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

Guys.... please do your transaction by PM. Thanks.
QUOTE Thanks
cscott0202

Thanks all!, I'll let you know how I get on.

Cheers
QUOTE Thanks
cscott0202

any suggestions?

came across this....what do you think?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0031GNYBW/
QUOTE Thanks
True Bassist

I think that'll work (wait for others to reply just in case).
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

From what I can tell in a couple of places, the first model unibody will not recognize over 6GB. Max officially supported by Apple is 4GB.

Verify for yourself, you can check your machine at everymac.com, OWC, Crucial.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
robduckyworth

robduckyworth is a name known to allrobduckyworth is a name known to allrobduckyworth is a name known to allrobduckyworth is a name known to allrobduckyworth is a name known to allrobduckyworth is a name known to allrobduckyworth is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, 2.5GHz i7, 750GB, 6770M 1GB, iPad 3, iPhone 4, custom PC

just to let you know, the link to the amazon site you gave is the ram im using, an 8gb kit. it runs really well. i did a bench test before and after with the original 4gb and 8gb and it performs at the same speed.

however im using it in a mid 2010 macbook pro.

If you find a post helpful, don't forget to use the reputation system (top right of post.)
Join us in the IRC! How? Add me on Steam, Origin or PSN (Vita): robduckyworth
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« MiniDVI port not working | MacBook not Loading. »