Mac Forums

Mac Forums (http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/)
-   Apple Notebooks (http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/apple-notebooks/)
-   -   Hard drive upgrade questions (http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/apple-notebooks/228733-hard-drive-upgrade-questions.html)

ATXguy 02-05-2011 11:55 PM

Hard drive upgrade questions

Ok, I'm a total computer novice, so i'm asking you guys for advice on this issue. I've almost maxed out my 120 GB hard drive on my Macbook. I'm looking to upgrade my hard drive but I don't have a clue where to start. What is the largest size hard drive I can get? Where is the best place to purchase it and what kind of price would I be looking at? I bought this Macbook new in May 2007. Also, after I decide on which hard drive to get, should I have someone install it for me, or is there a place I can go that will provide detailed instructions on how to do it myself? Any advice you guys can give is greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Eric

CrimsonRequiem 02-06-2011 12:37 AM

iFixit has instructions on how to replace and repair. You just need to find your model. OWC, and newegg to find a HDD. You need a HDD that is 2.5" Wide, 9.5mm heigh. SATA. The RPM and the size is up to you.

ATXguy 02-06-2011 11:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CrimsonRequiem (Post 1181424)
iFixit has instructions on how to replace and repair. You just need to find your model. OWC, and newegg to find a HDD. You need a HDD that is 2.5" Wide, 9.5mm heigh. SATA. The RPM and the size is up to you.

Ok, thanks for the input. I looked on OWC and I found this one here that I kind of like, but I don't know anything about Seagate. Are they pretty good hard drives? They seemed cheaper than some of the other brands, but they were the only company that offered 7200 RPM and 750 GB. If Seagate isn't any good, what brand would you recommend?

Here is the link:

DIY KIT: 750GB 7200RPM HD for MacBook,... (OWCYST9750420AS) at OWC

ATXguy 02-07-2011 11:50 AM

bump...anybody have any feedback on the quality of Seagate hard drive replacements. Any feedback or suggestions is greatly appreciated. The Seagate seems to be cheaper than some of the other brands is why I was asking. Here is the one I am looking at:

DIY KIT: 750GB 7200RPM HD for MacBook,... (OWCYST9750420AS) at OWC

harryb2448 02-07-2011 04:49 PM

Have always found Seagate to be reliable, but then all leading brands, Seagate, Western Digital, Hitachi etc are much of a muchness. The three year warranty with Seagate is attractive and make sure you register the drive.

ATXguy 02-07-2011 06:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by harryb2448 (Post 1182324)
...make sure you register the drive.

Thanks for the reply. I think i'll go ahead and pull the trigger on the Seagate drive then. What do you mean by "register the drive"? How do you do it and what are the benefits? Sorry for the dumb questions, but as I said earlier...I'm not very knowledgable about computer stuff.

chscag 02-07-2011 10:06 PM

What harry means is if a warranty or registration card comes with the drive send it on in to Seagate. However, based on my own experience with buying drives, they seldom come with a registration card. Usually the manufacturer can tell by serial number and batch number when the drive was sold and if it's still under warranty. Just make sure you keep your sales receipt.

harryb2448 02-07-2011 10:15 PM

You can register your new drive online here:-

Support | Seagate

Most manufacturers use a similar online registration system.