New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

Macbook slipped off bed

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

ThePope43

ThePope43 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 2010 17" MBP |core i7 2.66|4gb ddr3|500gb 7200rpm|snow leopard|

No problems....at least nothing bad...yet.

Here's the deal: I fell asleep last night(passed out, rather) and had my laptop on my bed with me open. I have hardwood floors in my room and yes, it slipped off my bed in the middle of the night but I like halfway kinda somewhat caught it--ish.

Anyways I've been running it all day long, and have restarted it twice since the incident early this morning and so far have not had any problems(both software and cosmetics) and I have thoroughly examined it.

Here's my problem...when you open it and listen to the center-area of the hinge I can hear a "pop/click" sound.....would anyone have any clue what this might be? It's only 6 months old and has Apple Care on it so I plan on taking it to an Apple store to let them take a look at it...I just wanted to see if you guys had any input on it; thanks!

Don't forget the +reputation button on the left!
QUOTE Thanks
imppy

imppy is on a distinguished road

There's a good chance that the hinge is damaged. The only reason wh you would hear a clicking sound near the hinge is when the hinge is either popped out of its original place, or it's broken.
QUOTE Thanks
ThePope43

ThePope43 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 2010 17" MBP |core i7 2.66|4gb ddr3|500gb 7200rpm|snow leopard|

Well I'll probably schedule to take it to the Apple Store this next week and get it looked at. Although I could look at it myself, no reason to if they're willing to do it for me.

Don't forget the +reputation button on the left!
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePope43 View Post

Here's the deal: I fell asleep last night(passed out, rather) and had my laptop on my bed with me open. I have hardwood floors in my room and yes, it slipped off my bed in the middle of the night but I like halfway kinda somewhat caught it--ish.
Sorry to say it...far from the first time this has happened. Laptop do's & don'ts:

- don't drink around a laptop
- don't eat around a laptop
- don't use your laptop in bed (and fall asleep...or pass out)
- do backup your hard drive
- do keep your cat away from the laptop
- don't insert mini CD's into a slot loading drive

Good luck,

- Nick

- Computer slow, too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
robduckyworth

robduckyworth is a name known to allrobduckyworth is a name known to allrobduckyworth is a name known to allrobduckyworth is a name known to allrobduckyworth is a name known to allrobduckyworth is a name known to allrobduckyworth is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, 2.5GHz i7, 750GB, 6770M 1GB, iPad 3, iPhone 4, custom PC

Quote:
Originally Posted by pigoo3 View Post
Sorry to say it...far from the first time this has happened. Laptop do's & don'ts:

- don't drink around a laptop
- don't eat around a laptop
- don't use your laptop in bed (and fall asleep...or pass out)
- do backup your hard drive
- do keep your cat away from the laptop
- don't insert mini CD's into a slot loading drive

Good luck,

- Nick
-dont use your laptop as a substitute eating surface (student life)
-dont use your laptop as a tennis racquet
-dont insert floppy disks into the slot loading drive
-dont leave your laptop in an oven

the list could go on....

If you find a post helpful, don't forget to use the reputation system (top right of post.)
Join us in the IRC! How? Add me on Steam, Origin or PSN (Vita): robduckyworth
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by robduckyworth View Post
the list could go on....
Don't use your laptop as a "Frisbee"!

- Computer slow, too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
brairden

brairden has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: 2 iMacs, 1 MBP, 1 UMB, 1 mini

If it is a popping sound that you hear then most likely it is the clutch cover. You will have to take it apart to see where it is catching the hinge. I have been able to bend a few of these back into shape.

15" 2.53ghz i5 MacBook Pro (2010) 8gb, 500gb HD - 60gb OWC SSD
13" 2.4ghz MacBook Unibody (late 2008) 4gb, 250gb
24" 2.4ghz Aluminum iMac (mid 2007) 3gb, 1tb
mini 2.0ghz - 32gb iPhone 4
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Bags and/or cases for new 11-inch MacBook Air | No display on MBP (Model A1261) »