New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

Larger internal HD or external for games?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

scottmcp432

scottmcp432 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: mid '09 13" MBP 2.53 C2D, 8Gb RAM, 250 Gb HD, SL and Win7

I have a mid 09 2.53 C2D , 8Gb , osx 10.6.6 MBP. I recently installed Win7 HP via bootcamp and realize that my internal storage space is rapidly running out. My primary (okay only) use for Win7 is gaming. To get more storage for games should I replace my 250Gb internal HD with a 500Gb model or just shell out for a full 1Tb external model? The 1Tb external SEEMS perfect since I could make partitions for time machine and Windows backup also but I am clueless as to whether or not I can boot Windows from my internal drive and then run games from an external HD. Is this possible? What would you recommend? My MBP NEVER leaves the house so getting the larger internal HD for carrying games everywhere is not a factor.
QUOTE Thanks
Buzzard2010

Buzzard2010 is just really niceBuzzard2010 is just really niceBuzzard2010 is just really niceBuzzard2010 is just really niceBuzzard2010 is just really nice
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 15" 2014, 2.2GHz i7, 16GB RAM, 250GB SSD, OSX 10.9.5 - iPhone 5s 16gb

You certainly can do this yes, when it comes to installing games just direct it to your External HDD when it asks where to install to.
Of course you then could not play the game if you were to unplug the external HDD, but thats a sacrifice you would have to make if you wanted that kind of storage.

- Simon

If you have been helped, don't forget to use the Reputation system at the top right of their post.
May 2011
Nominated: March 2011 & April 2011
QUOTE Thanks
scottmcp432

Okay, I must admit the external is tops on my list. While I have no fear of opening my MBP (I put in my own RAM sticks from Crucial) the external option is by far easier and cheaper. I would like to use a wireless backup scheme like time capsule but time capsule is out of my price range for now. Are there any other comparable HD's out there I can hook up to my Linksys E1000 router that would function similarly?
Pardon any confusing language I might have used. I stirred up a hornets nest on the Archos forums yesterday by misusing the terrm RAM when I should have said storage. The debate still rages. Boy Android people are sooooooo sensitive!
QUOTE Thanks
CrimsonRequiem

CrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to all
Mac Specs: MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottmcp432 View Post
Okay, I must admit the external is tops on my list. While I have no fear of opening my MBP (I put in my own RAM sticks from Crucial) the external option is by far easier and cheaper. I would like to use a wireless backup scheme like time capsule but time capsule is out of my price range for now. Are there any other comparable HD's out there I can hook up to my Linksys E1000 router that would function similarly?
Pardon any confusing language I might have used. I stirred up a hornets nest on the Archos forums yesterday by misusing the terrm RAM when I should have said storage. The debate still rages. Boy Android people are sooooooo sensitive!
More like computer nerds are so sensitive. If you are gaming I wouldn't do it off of an external because access data is going to be slower.

That's why gamers were obsessed with 10,000 RPM HDD in raid0. Some still are I'm sure. >_<"

死神はリンゴしか食べない。
QUOTE Thanks
scottmcp432

Slower in gameplay or loading of levels for example? Would my FPS or ping take a hit in a game like COD4 multiplayer? My OSX partition has my startegy games (civ4, warcraft3, aoe3, etc.) and my windows partition, which is where I really need new room, contains mostly shooters and RPG's I play online. Would these factors alter your suggestion in any way?
QUOTE Thanks
CrimsonRequiem

CrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to all
Mac Specs: MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottmcp432 View Post
Slower in gameplay or loading of levels for example? Would my FPS or ping take a hit in a game like COD4 multiplayer?
Slower loading levels or whenever it needs to access the drive for data. The gameplay itself wouldn't be slower. That has to do more with FPS and that's your GPU.

死神はリンゴしか食べない。
QUOTE Thanks
scottmcp432

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonRequiem View Post
Slower loading levels or whenever it needs to access the drive for data. The gameplay itself wouldn't be slower. That has to do more with FPS and that's your GPU.
That then is all I need to know. Hey, at 42 years old and with an 8 year old daughter (single dad here) I have learned enough patience to wait for something to load.
QUOTE Thanks
robduckyworth

robduckyworth is a name known to allrobduckyworth is a name known to allrobduckyworth is a name known to allrobduckyworth is a name known to allrobduckyworth is a name known to allrobduckyworth is a name known to allrobduckyworth is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, 2.5GHz i7, 750GB, 6770M 1GB, iPad 3, iPhone 4, custom PC

but it does take excruciatingly long to load games. i tried through USB2 for medieval total war, and it took about 5-10 minutes to open anything.

If you find a post helpful, don't forget to use the reputation system (top right of post.)
Join us in the IRC! How? Add me on Steam, Origin or PSN (Vita): robduckyworth
QUOTE Thanks
Buzzard2010

Buzzard2010 is just really niceBuzzard2010 is just really niceBuzzard2010 is just really niceBuzzard2010 is just really niceBuzzard2010 is just really nice
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 15" 2014, 2.2GHz i7, 16GB RAM, 250GB SSD, OSX 10.9.5 - iPhone 5s 16gb

I used WoW on an external HDD, connected by USB 2.0, I could see the change in loading times but it wasn't too bad, added another 10-20 seconds onto time but i'm quite patient

- Simon

If you have been helped, don't forget to use the Reputation system at the top right of their post.
May 2011
QUOTE Thanks
scottmcp432

Okay, firewire or usb 2.0? My boss, who considers himself some sort of Apple guru, claims that the speed advantage of firewire would be measured in milliseconds and therefore a waste of money. What I have found online indicates otherwise, speed increases of between 40% to 70%. Keep in mind that those are increases in read times only.
QUOTE Thanks
Buzzard2010

Firewire can be a great improvement to speeds in my opinion, plus they are not really much more expensive, you may even find ones cheaper if you are lucky enough

HTH
- Simon

May 2011
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Need Help With Shield! | Light Around Edges of Display? »