New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

Mac Book or Pro?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

gtirr

gtirr is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Mac Book Pro 15" 2.4 GHz. Core i5 4GB 1067 MHz. DDR-3 Ram

Hi Folks
Since this is my first post I'd better tell you a little bit about me.
I'm a 62 yr. old fart that has decided that I want to find something better than a PC even though what I have has worked for me all this time. But I'm fed up with MS and absolutely hate Win7!!!!

I do nothing but browse the web, send e-mails to my far away friends, and google everything.
I also like to take and store photos from my other hobby of trains and model railroading. So far I'm not into too many videos.

I'm trying to decide if a simple Mac Book will work for me, or if I should upgrade to a basic 13" Pro. For the extra price I will double the ram, have the extra protection of an aluminum case, have a back lit keyboard which is nice, and have an SD lot.

Any thoughts or suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Russ
QUOTE Thanks
ClockworkWorld

ClockworkWorld has a spectacular aura about

I love our Macbook Pro. So naturally I'll make a vote for the MBP. The aluminum case is beautiful, but be careful... It scratches and dents easily, aluminum is a very soft metal. It may be stronger than the material on the standard Macbook, but it will "show" damage easier if damage gets done. The benefits of the MBP outweigh the price difference, if you ask me. But you might also look at the refurb store! You might get a more powerful machine for less money! (and still the same warranty as brand new, and Applecare too if you want it!)

Welcome to the forums! Best of luck with your purchase!!

Late 2010 iMac 27 inch  2.93GHz i7 16GB RAM 2TB HDD
2011 Macbook Pro 17 inch Glossy  2.3GHz Quad-core i7 8GB RAM 750GB HDD
QUOTE Thanks
Lbatson21

Lbatson21 has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: 2011 Mac mini and 2010 13" MacBook Pro, iPhone 4 and iPad

Go pro. It also has a FireWire port and a glass screen over the LCD. All the upgrades are well worth the price difference
QUOTE Thanks
djdan

djdan is on a distinguished road

(Brand New Member)

Because... I just got the MBP Refurb from apple.com. I totally recommend that direction. It's just like new! I researched a ton, and the reviews are stellar for items from Apple's refurb store, and I am another one! Go Pro... Base 13 is 999 on refurb.
QUOTE Thanks
CrimsonRequiem

CrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to all
Mac Specs: MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB

Can't go wrong with either of them. The Pro version obviously has more features. You have to decide for yourself on what features you need, and if you can live without them. That will obviously narrow it down.

死神はリンゴしか食べない。
QUOTE Thanks
EightmanVT

To answer your question - it does sound like the MacBook will meet your relatively simple requirements for computing - but yes - certainly the MacBook Pro is a much more capable machine. But can you do everything you described with a MacBook? Yes. That's basicaly what my wife does - and her school provided MacBook is just fine. The only caveat might be if you're doing a lot of photo editing - then you'll want some additional horsepower - but that's not what I took from your post.

I couldn't agree more regarding the refurb store. Heck - I was wishing I had been a little more informed and known about the refurb store. There are quite a few MacBook pros in there right now with some great deals.
QUOTE Thanks
robduckyworth

robduckyworth is a name known to allrobduckyworth is a name known to allrobduckyworth is a name known to allrobduckyworth is a name known to allrobduckyworth is a name known to allrobduckyworth is a name known to allrobduckyworth is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, 2.5GHz i7, 750GB, 6770M 1GB, iPad 3, iPhone 4, custom PC

if it was me buying, i wouldnt be able to stand the plastic

If you find a post helpful, don't forget to use the reputation system (top right of post.)
Join us in the IRC! How? Add me on Steam, Origin or PSN (Vita): robduckyworth
QUOTE Thanks
northrnchimp

northrnchimp will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: rMBP 13 2.5GHz 121GB SSD

Don't forget that the display quality is also much higher on the Pro - colors are deeper, fonts are clearer and sharper, white is brighter etc.
QUOTE Thanks
MacForCash

MacForCash is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: iMac 27 i7, MacBook Pro 15 i5, MacBook 2.4, iPad, iPhone

Apple makes great products! Just choose something that works with you! I have both a Macbook Pro and Macbook. Pro works better with work and lots of pro things lol. I really love the MacBook becuase I can take it anywhere without disconnecting lots of wires and USB cords.

Good Luck!
QUOTE Thanks
Camps23

Camps23 is on a distinguished road

Im in the same boat...looking at the Refurb version of both and is the 150 worth jumping to the pro model...from what I can see i think so ! What about the unibody aluminum vs plastic ? To be honest I like the look of the macbook plastic but will it hold up as good as the aluminum over time ? Main uses are webbrowsing, light amount of home video editing, streaming lots of tv/movies.
QUOTE Thanks
ClockworkWorld

ClockworkWorld has a spectacular aura about

As far as Aluminum vs. Plastic... They will both hold up very well over time if you take care of them! Carry them in a bag or protective sleeve when you take them away from home, and don't leave them where the cats or kids can knock them off of things, don't use them as a surface to make notes on, set stuff on top of them, etc. and they will both stay in good cosmetic condition for a very long time

Late 2010 iMac 27 inch  2.93GHz i7 16GB RAM 2TB HDD
2011 Macbook Pro 17 inch Glossy  2.3GHz Quad-core i7 8GB RAM 750GB HDD
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« 2010 Macbook Pro - Charger no longer working properly, Can I get a free replacement? | Purchasing a Macbook Pro »