New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

Faulty Logicboard?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

steve7100

steve7100 is on a distinguished road

Hi all - Thanks for taking a look and any possible help.

I have a 13" macbook (mid 2007) that recently died (I think). I've already replaced it, but decided to see if I could salvage it anyway. In short, I was using it fine, closed it, and 5 minutes later it never woke up.

I powered off, powered back on, the optical drive spins briefly, and I get a solid white light in the front (so I am getting some power), but thats it!

I have reset SMC, PRAM. I put the hard drive (mainly to recover) in an enclosure and that seems to work, I pulled out and reinsert the RAM, still nothing.

Any ideas? Or is it the motherboard?
QUOTE Thanks
Buzzard2010

Buzzard2010 is just really niceBuzzard2010 is just really niceBuzzard2010 is just really niceBuzzard2010 is just really niceBuzzard2010 is just really nice
Mac Specs: iMac 21.5" i3 500gb HDD 4gb RAM OSX 10.9.2 - iPhone 5s 16gb

Is it that the screen isn't coming on at all or that the backlight isn't coming on? You have to look really really hard to see if it is just the backlight but worth checking.

- Simon

If you have been helped, don't forget to use the Reputation system at the bottom of the users profile.
May 2011
Nominated: March 2011 & April 2011
QUOTE Thanks
steve7100

I looked at the display, I don't see anything. I tried to shine a flashlight on it and also used an external monitor. It powers on, but just stops. I don't get a startup sound other than the initial revving.
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

The GPU might have died and if it did, that effectively means a new logic board. You might be able to find a refurbished logic board and replace it yourself if you have the skills... Dig up a MacWorld magazine and look in the back at the ads. There are numerous ads for Mac repairs. Or, you could have Apple repair it at their flat rate depot repair price which is somewhere around $300 or so. I'm not sure of the exact price so be sure to call and check first before taking it on in to them.
QUOTE Thanks
steve7100

Thanks for the feedback. I took it to an Apple store last week. The genius said its either the display or logicboard. I think I ruled out the display and it could be the GPU. Apple quoted me at least $350 maybe up to 600. I bought a new macbook instead.

I looked for logic boards, but I didn't want to shell out another $300, so I guess I will gut it and sell off the parts.

Thanks
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve7100 View Post
I looked for logic boards, but I didn't want to shell out another $300, so I guess I will gut it and sell off the parts.

Thanks
Unfortunately that's pretty much the way it goes when the something on the logic goes bad. Hopefully you can offset some of the costs of the new notebook by selling off the parts from the old one.

Good luck,

- Nick

- Computer slow, too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Isight doesn't work no matter what | Do I need a new Hard Drive? »