New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

how to make cd drive not spin up when laptop wakes up

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

tuner1406

tuner1406 is on a distinguished road

is there any way to make the cd drive not boot up or spin up when the laptop wakes up from sleep?
QUOTE Thanks
Raz0rEdge

Raz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 27" i7 iMac, 24" iMac, 13" Macbook Air, iPhone 5 & 5S, iPod Nano 7th Gen, iPad 2 16GB WiFi, iPad 3

Do you have a CD in the drive when you wake up? If so, remove it and it shouldn't spin..

Regards
QUOTE Thanks
ClockworkWorld

ClockworkWorld has a spectacular aura about

Like Raz0r said, it shouldn't be spinning up if it's empty. If I don't have a disc in the dvd drive on our Macbook Pro, it stays silent as a mouse when it wakes.

Late 2010 iMac 27 inch  2.93GHz i7 16GB RAM 2TB HDD
2011 Macbook Pro 17 inch Glossy  2.3GHz Quad-core i7 8GB RAM 750GB HDD
QUOTE Thanks
Kash

Kash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G

The older MacBooks used to do this. My black MacBook spins up the drive whenever I open the lid, regardless of whether or not there's a disc in the drive. Not sure how to stop it.

June 2007
July 2009
QUOTE Thanks
iggibar

iggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: Mac Pro 4.1 15" MBP. 13" MBP. 17" PB. Power Mac G5. Galaxy Note 4 160gb*

My 15"uMBP used to, what's the actual right word to use here, because spinning is not right...it's the arm that moves the laser from point to point, not the actual cd mount's spinning, that makes the noise. If I remember correctly, it's only a built in precaution to keep the internal tracts clean. I believe I actually read that on Apple's own forum. I'll look it up.

My problem fixed itself when I replaced the cd drive with an ssd

“If you are distressed by anything external, the pain is not due to the thing itself but to your own estimate of it; and this you have the power to revoke at any moment.” Marcus Aurelius
QUOTE Thanks
tuner1406

@kash, thats exactly what my macbook does, it is an older black macbook, my girlfriend has a little newer white macbook that does the same thing...and no theyres no cd in the drive of either macbooks
QUOTE Thanks
McYukon

McYukon is a splendid one to beholdMcYukon is a splendid one to beholdMcYukon is a splendid one to beholdMcYukon is a splendid one to beholdMcYukon is a splendid one to beholdMcYukon is a splendid one to beholdMcYukon is a splendid one to beholdMcYukon is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: 2012 MBP i7 2.7 GHz 15" Matte - 16 GB RAM - 120 GB Intel SSD - 500 GB DataDoubler Mac OS 10.9

There was a Firmware update that stopped this behaviour.

Quote:
About MacBook EFI Firmware Update 1.4
This update eliminates the noise made by the optical disk drive during wake from sleep on MacBook computers. When installation is complete, please run Software Update again, and install SuperDrive Firmware Update 3.0
MacBook EFI Firmware Update 1.4
About SuperDrive Firmware Update 3.0

Use the reputation system if a post helps you!
Mac Forums IRC Channel - Help build it by hanging out with us
The next sentence is true. The previous sentence is false.
QUOTE Thanks
tuner1406

@McYukon- i just tried installing that firmware update and it told me that my laptop doesnt need it haha, is there any other way of fixing this?
QUOTE Thanks
McYukon

McYukon is a splendid one to beholdMcYukon is a splendid one to beholdMcYukon is a splendid one to beholdMcYukon is a splendid one to beholdMcYukon is a splendid one to beholdMcYukon is a splendid one to beholdMcYukon is a splendid one to beholdMcYukon is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: 2012 MBP i7 2.7 GHz 15" Matte - 16 GB RAM - 120 GB Intel SSD - 500 GB DataDoubler Mac OS 10.9

I kinda doubt it, since this is coded into the firmware of the DVD drive to check for disks on wake and the Firmware update changes this.

I found a similar thread and someone posted this, don't know though…
MacBook Pro (Mid 2009): Multiple noises from the optical disc drive on startup or waking from sleep

Use the reputation system if a post helps you!
Mac Forums IRC Channel - Help build it by hanging out with us
The next sentence is true. The previous sentence is false.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Do I need a new Hard Drive? | Hard Drive only registering 500GB after 750GB upgrade »