New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

HDMI Video not working

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

mgc77

mgc77 is on a distinguished road

I recently bought an hdmi adapter for my macbook pro. Since I bought the macbook(feb 2010) before the mini display port supported audio , I bought a cable that connected to the display port for video and usb for audio. When I plugged it into my westinghouse tv though it said "mode not supported". I tried rebooting on both ends to see if it would work. I also tried all three hdmi ports and it still would not work. Then I tried it on an insignia tv and both audio and video worked fine. Is the westinghouse tv just not compatible or do i need to play with the resolution? what other 'modes' could i change to make this work?
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

1st thing to do is open up the Owner's Manual for the Westinghouse to see if it even supports a computer input. If you find one of the following: no mention at all, PC is not supported, or PC may not work, then you are likely out of luck without the DVI Doctor.

You could also see Post 2, Item 1 here.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
mgc77

mgc77 is on a distinguished road

Ok so after confirming that I could connect but with no really good description on the how to I went back to playing with the the resolutions. I noticed under the display settings for the MDA it had resolutions like 480p, 720p, 1080p, and 1080i. Mine had been on 1080i and when I changed to the ones ending in p the screen works.
I'm no computer genius so I have no clue what I changed other than some tv verison of resolution but for anyone reading this in the future I hope it helps.
QUOTE Thanks
chipz

chipz is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Early 2012 13" MBA Core i5 1.8 GHz, 4GB RAM, 128 GB SSD, OS X 10.7.4

HDMI input uses the 1080p format, not the 1080i format. As long as it works fine, use it. 1080i is the signal most used by TV stations on broadcast.
QUOTE Thanks
doha

doha is on a distinguished road

Morning:

My 2011 11" Macbook Air does not detect the external display. The Mini Display port is connected to a Belkin Mini Display Port to HDMI adapter, and the HDMI cable is plugged into an Optoma PRO160S DLP projector. The projector (and HDMI cable) work fine when connected to a DVD player.

I don't see a 1080p resolution, and so I tried all of those listed (1366x768 to 800x600) in the Display box, none of which have an I or P next to them. The detect displays button does nothing. Do I need to add a different resolution (and how?), or install a device driver? Is it the Mac hardware?

Please advise. Thanks
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

Let's see if I have this straight:

The 2011 MacBook Air is connected to the Optoma from the mini display port output on the Air through a mini display port adapter to HDMI to a HDMI cable and then into the HDMI port on the Optoma?

If the above is correct, and you've got the Optoma setup right through its internal menu, you should see a 1080P in the resolution choices on the Air. Did you scroll up and down in the box to make sure you didn't miss anything? Are you getting anything at all from the projector with the Air hooked to it? Blue screen, etc. ?

There's no way to add a different resolution nor are any drivers required. If it doesn't work the way you have it setup, contact Optoma support and inquire about the compatibility with your Mac. I would think it should be compatible as most all projectors work out of the box with Macs.
QUOTE Thanks
doha

Thanks for the quick response. There are only 13 resolutions listed in my Macbook (no 1080), and I tried each one a few times. I think the 1080p setting is the problem.

The Optoma immediately recognizes the DVD (at 1080p 60 hz) connection every time. Otherwise, it checks all ports and then displays a little 'No Source Found' at the lower right - and the rest of the screen is just blue, when connected to the Mac. The projector is set to Automatic (to detect any available or connected input). I chose this Optoma because it is compatible with Mac.

So if the 1080p (or HDMI adapter) is the real issue, then I'm not sure if Optoma can help, but I will contact them next. And/or perhaps try a Mini to VGA adapter, e.g. Please let me know if you have any other suggestions. Thank you very much,
QUOTE Thanks
doha

Optoma told me it isn't a resolution problem since this model will scale down to 800x600. He said there should be another tab (in the Mac) next to Display and Color when I connect an external device to the Mini Display port. Nothing there. Perhaps the port itself is the problem, so I need rule out this possible hardware malfunction, first.

Since this Mac is still covered by a warranty, I will contact Apple (or Best Buy) about it.
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

I'm wondering what third Tab he's referring to? I have had several external displays attached and don't remember seeing another Tab. The only two tabs that appear are "Display" and "Color".

A projector (any make or model that's compatible) should appear when detected by the Mac in the same way an external monitor does. I'm concerned because you've stated the Optoma projector is not being detected. If it's not being detected it could be that it's:

1. Not compatible

2. Defective adapter or HDMI cable

3. Projector not setup correctly

It's highly unlikely the port on your 2011 MBA is defective.
QUOTE Thanks
doha

You are correct (especially the last line). Thank you very much. The problem wasn't my MBA, HDMI cable nor the Optoma - but the Belkin adapter.

Yesterday afternoon, a Best Buy geek took a good look at the whole system, and discovered the malfunction almost by accident, at the last second (we had just about given up), when he swapped my new Belkin for a used Rocketfish adapter they had lying around. It worked immediately. This Best Buy is not an Apple retailer, so this Rocketfish adapter is not a retail item. The nearest Apple store is 70 miles away, which is why I bought the Belkin from the local Wal-Mart - twice (I returned the first one).

In System Preferences / Displays, I now have a second display dialog box titled 'Optoma SVGA' (at top), with 3 tabs: "Display", "Arrangement", "Color". After clicking the Mirror Display box (in Arrangement) and settling on 1280x960, the projection looks good, so far. Will explore further.

My first mistake was assuming that the Belkin adapter (the newest item) was the least likely item to be defective. The Rocketfish adapter is also $5 less costly.

Thank You
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Need a bit of hard drive help? | Upgrading/repairing a 2006 MacBook »