Specs:
    MacBook Pro 2.3GHz 16GB RAM 1TB SSD
    New User... Macbook Air, buy now or wait
    First let me say, WOW. I've registered on a Mac Forum. I've been a Windows user since... Win386. What used to be fun, has become a pain. It used to be fun to fiddle with and fix Windows, but I've grown sick of it. I just want my computer work work!

So here I am, soon to own a Mac.

Second, let me apologize for asking. I suspect the answer is unknown, but if anyone knows you will.

I am going to purchase a Macbook Air. The question is, should I buy it now, or wait for a new release? I don't have a good feel for how often Apple updates the hardware. When do you think a new Air bight be released.

Thanks
    Monty

Specs:
    15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD
    I'd guess it's going to be awhile as that model was released just a few months ago.

In general, if you're always waiting for the next big thing in technology, you'll be waiting forever. Buy the machine you need when you need it and it will continue to serve those needs long after an updated model arrives.
    Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!

https://youtu.be/KHZ8ek-6ccc

Specs:
    MacBook Pro 2.3GHz 16GB RAM 1TB SSD
    Quote Originally Posted by cwa107 View Post
    I'd guess it's going to be awhile as that model was released just a few months ago.

In general, if you're always waiting for the next big thing in technology, you'll be waiting forever. Buy the machine you need when you need it and it will continue to serve those needs long after an updated model arrives.
    Make sense. Same advice I have given in the PC world
    I am so excited about getting a Mac

Specs:
    Quote Originally Posted by MontyMo View Post
    Cool. Make sure you check out the Switcher's Hangout forum. Lots of good stickies and advice to be had there:

Switcher Hangout - Mac-Forums.com

And welcome to Mac-Forums.
    Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!

Specs:
    Mid 2010 27" iMac 2.8GHz i5, 4GB, 1TB HDD, 1GB Radeon HD 5750
    I too am considering grabbing a MBA 11". But with Sandy Bridge, I am really hoping Apple makes some real magic happen with the MBA and puts i3s in them.

Specs:
    Quote Originally Posted by the awakening View Post
    I too am considering grabbing a MBA 11". But with Sandy Bridge, I am really hoping Apple makes some real magic happen with the MBA and puts i3s in them.
    I would be really surprised if you'll see the i3 in that kind of form factor. The MBA is and has always been a stylish Netbook. I could see it going the other way, like maybe AMD Fusion. Apple has been in discussions with AMD and I could easily see it being about future MBAs.

Second, let me apologize for asking. I suspect the answer is unknown, but if anyone knows you will.

I am going to purchase a Macbook Air. The question is, should I buy it now, or wait for a new release? I don't have a good feel for how often Apple updates the hardware. When do you think a new Air bight be released.
    Check out this MacRumors Web page:
    Mac Buyer's Guide: Know When to Buy Your Mac, iPod or iPhone

On this page they list Apple products, and they show how long Apple usually waits between new releases and they tell you when the last release of any particular product was.

You will find the info that pertains to the MacBook Air here:
    Mac Buyer's Guide: Know When to Buy Your Mac, iPod or iPhone

As you can see, the last MacBook Air was released just this past October, and Apple is on roughly a yearly cycle for updating the MacBook Air. I would say that if you want a MacBook Air, now would be the time to buy. You more than likely won't be seeing an updated model before the end or the year, and, more likely, you won't see a new one until Spring of 2012.

Randy B. Singer
    Co-author of The Macintosh Bible (4th, 5th, and 6th editions)

Macintosh OS X Routine Maintenance
    OS X Maintenance And Troubleshooting

Specs:
    MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
    Nit-picking somewhat but a Mac is a PC so therefore it is included in the PC world.
    死神はリンゴしか食べない。

Specs:
    Macbook air 13" Iphone 5
    Go for it I bought a macbook air 13" still have my old windose pc but its more of an ornament now. Just get it you will love it.

Specs:
    15" MBP, 2.5GHz i7, 750GB, 6770M 1GB, iPad 3, iPhone 4, custom PC
    make sure you are happy with the specs! you cant open it up after you buy it.
    If you find a post helpful, don't forget to use the reputation system (top right of post.)
    Join us in the IRC! How? Add me on Steam, Origin or PSN (Vita): robduckyworth

Specs:
    MBA 13" 2.13 4gb ram 256 gb flash. MBP 13" 2.4 4gb ram 250gb HDD
    I say get the MBA now. I bought mine 2 months ago and I love. I got the 13 inch with the faster processor and upgraded ram. It is my favorite macbook that Ive owned so far and Ive had them all. YOu wont regret it.

Specs:
    ................................ OLD: MBP 13" Mid 09 .......... NEW: MBP 13" Mid 12 ..........
    Quote Originally Posted by Luckydiesel View Post
    I say get the MBA now. I bought mine 2 months ago and I love. I got the 13 inch with the faster processor and upgraded ram. It is my favorite macbook that Ive owned so far and Ive had them all. YOu wont regret it.
    yes he will because lets see
    *you run out of space FAST
    *to upgrade SSD you need to sell a kidney and you first born child
    *no disk drive
    *and the MBP is only 200$ more

Specs:
    Currently 13" Late 2010 MBA, 4GB/128GB; Early 2011 13" MBP, dual core i7 2.7ghz, 4gb ram, 500gb hd
    Quote Originally Posted by tigerbomb8 View Post
    *to upgrade SSD you need to sell a kidney and you first born child
    Thankfully, I have two kidneys and I never really liked my first born that much anyway.

Air 11
    I am looking at air 11, do i need to upgrade to faster proc and 4gb ram for email, skype and photos?

Specs:
    Quote Originally Posted by gary804 View Post
    I am looking at air 11, do i need to upgrade to faster proc and 4gb ram for email, skype and photos?
    No, the standard processor should be fine.

Thread Information