New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

Used Macbook

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

kribensis12

kribensis12 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 13" 2.4 Ghz Duo Core with 8GB of RAM and a 500GB 7200 rpm Hybrid Drive

Hey, I have a friend who was complaining to me about how she wants a macbook. But she can't afford one. I asked her about getting a used one, and she said that's fine with her. I know a lot of people on here buy used macs. My question is, where can I reference her to get hers? What's a reputable website with good prices?
QUOTE Thanks
MacForCash

MacForCash is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: iMac 27 i7, MacBook Pro 15 i5, MacBook 2.4, iPad, iPhone

Some great places to check would be eBay, Amozon, or even Craigslist. I would be careful though with the spam. Make sure the person you buying it from is located in the same state and in person transactions.

Good Luck!
QUOTE Thanks
Buzzard2010

Buzzard2010 is just really niceBuzzard2010 is just really niceBuzzard2010 is just really niceBuzzard2010 is just really niceBuzzard2010 is just really nice
Mac Specs: iMac 21.5" i3 500gb HDD 4gb RAM OSX 10.9.2 - iPhone 5s 16gb

You can also try Apple's very own refurbished store

Special Deals - Apple Store (UK) (UK)

Refurbished*and*Clearance iPod, iPad, & Mac Products - Apple Store (U.S.) (US)

You get the product in the right box with all the correct cables, and you can be certain that it works fine.

More info on the refurbishment process here:

Apple Certified Refurbished Products

HTH
- Simon

If you have been helped, don't forget to use the Reputation system at the bottom of the users profile.
May 2011
Nominated: March 2011 & April 2011
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

I agree with Buzzard. Buy refurbished from Apple. Stay away from used computers on eBay or Craig's list. Too many bad deals there and as of late, lots of flakey sellers. Also, buying from people who advertise on Craig's list can be dangerous to your health.

Buying from Amazon is safe enough since they guaranty the sale and keep a close hold on sellers.
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

If you're going to buy used...you really need to know what to look for...and that usually means seeing & using the computer before buying it. If you buy off Craig's List you can do this. With e-Bay you cannot. But with e-Bay...if the item is not as described...usually you can either work the problem out with the seller...including returning it & getting a refund. If this doesn't happen & you paid with Paypal...then Paypal has a dispute process...which seems to usually rule in the favor of the buyer.

Of course there are scammers out there...so buying used has it's risks. But if you're careful & knowledgeable...buying used also has it's rewards.

- Nick

- Computer slow, too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
kribensis12

kribensis12 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 13" 2.4 Ghz Duo Core with 8GB of RAM and a 500GB 7200 rpm Hybrid Drive

I've seen the refurb store on apple, but I think she is aiming a little cheaper. I may search amazon for her and see what I can find. Thanks for the help!
QUOTE Thanks
Buzzard2010

Buzzard2010 is just really niceBuzzard2010 is just really niceBuzzard2010 is just really niceBuzzard2010 is just really niceBuzzard2010 is just really nice
Mac Specs: iMac 21.5" i3 500gb HDD 4gb RAM OSX 10.9.2 - iPhone 5s 16gb

If you need any more help you know where we are

- Simon

If you have been helped, don't forget to use the Reputation system at the bottom of the users profile.
May 2011
Nominated: March 2011 & April 2011
QUOTE Thanks
ClockworkWorld

ClockworkWorld has a spectacular aura about

Something to keep in mind though: Though the refurb store is more pricey... It's worth saving a bit longer and getting one through there. If she spends say $1,000 dollars getting a cheapy from ebay or Amazon or Craigslist, and it dies tomorrow, she's out the $1,000. If she buys a $1,700 (or whatever) from the refurb store, and it dies tomorrow, (assuming it's not because she drops it or something considered abusive) Apple takes care of it the SAME way they take care of a brand new one. That full warranty and Applecare eligibility is well worth waiting a few more weeks/months and saving, if at all possible... It may be used, but it will be like brand-spanking new when she gets it, and taken care of as such if it should have problems. Used from elsewhere, you might get who knows what kind of cosmetic damage, and absolutely no guarantee whatsoever that it will work for even a year.

Late 2010 iMac 27 inch  2.93GHz i7 16GB RAM 2TB HDD
2011 Macbook Pro 17 inch Glossy  2.3GHz Quad-core i7 8GB RAM 750GB HDD
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute

There are two common reasons why folks are interested in purchasing a used computer:

1. Buying a used computer is like buying a used automobile. Sometimes folks cannot afford to pay $30,000 dollars for a new car...so they buy a 3-4 year-old "used" car for $18,000.

2. Just like a new car...new computers depreciate VERY quickly. Why pay $999 for a new MacBook...when you can buy a 3 year-old MacBook for $350 (which I have done).

How many of us on Mac-Forums have purchase a used car...and are currently driving a used car? Would we rather be driving a nice brand new car...SURE!!!...buy sometimes it doesn't make financial sense to do so. An automobile is just as complex as a computer (lots of parts to go bad, lots of electronics, not to speak of traffic accidents)...and an automobile is just a mobile as a computer...so is just as likely to get "broken" or damaged.

And...I would suggest that the average member on Mac-Forums is no more knowledgeable as far as being an auto-mechanic...as they are knowledgeable as a computer repair technician. So there is probably just as much risk for the average Mac-Forums member to buy a "lemon" used car...as a "lemon" used computer.

Of course the very very important common element here is the "test drive". If you buy a used car...you test drive it. Same thing applies with a used computer. It is best to take it for a "test drive" before buying. This is where Craig's List is a great place to purchase a used computer (test drive before buying). e-Bay is a bit more complex...but there is a recourse system when buying on e-Bay & when paying with Paypal.

So again I say...if someone is ok with purchasing a used automobile...purchasing a used computer is not a whole lot different.

- Nick

- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
QUOTE Thanks
CrimsonRequiem

CrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to all
Mac Specs: MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB

The other good thing about buying refurbished from the Apple store is that you get the standard 1 year warranty, and you are eligible for the extended warranty (Apple Care). That might not be the case with other used machines. Especially if it's off ebay, or some other online retailers.

死神はリンゴしか食べない。
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonRequiem View Post
The other good thing about buying refurbished from the Apple store is that you get the standard 1 year warranty, and you are eligible for the extended warranty (Apple Care). That might not be the case with other used machines. Especially if it's off ebay, or some other online retailers.
I agree...for someone that has the money...buying a refurbished computer from Apple is probably the best risk/reward compromise...especially for folks who are "risk averse".

- Nick

p.s. I still enjoy getting a perfectly operating 3 year-old MacBook for $350!...and two others for $400 each!

QUOTE Thanks
chipz

chipz is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Early 2012 13" MBA Core i5 1.8 GHz, 4GB RAM, 128 GB SSD, OS X 10.7.4

If your girlfriend cannot afford a refurbished unit from the AppleStore. look at powermax.com. They are a reputable Apple seller and they sell both new and used Macs. The used macs come with a 90 day warranty and a trade in policy. Look on their website for more info.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« New User... Macbook Air, buy now or wait | How long until items reach the refurb store?? »