New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

just traded my compaq laptop for a g4 ibook 1.2

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

G4 ibookboy

G4 ibookboy is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: g4 ibook 1.2/512 leopard, 2007 MacBook 2.0 c2d lion, 20" imac 1.8 cd , 2010 mac mini

I just traded my new compaq laptop i got to replace my g4 tibook first gen model since i didnt want to spend over $100.00 for a battery on a 10 year old laptop that had water spilled in it and needed to be used with an external keyboard for a g4 ibook 1.2/512. Windows 7 is better than any windows version, but it cannot compete with os x. I've had the ibook for a week now and love every minute with it. question is should i update the ram to 1.25gb or leave it alone.... is there going to be much of a performance differance with maxed out ram? I swear I will never go back to windows again.
QUOTE Thanks
EvenStranger

EvenStranger is just really niceEvenStranger is just really niceEvenStranger is just really niceEvenStranger is just really niceEvenStranger is just really nice
Mac Specs: Currently 13" Late 2010 MBA, 4GB/128GB; Early 2011 13" MBP, dual core i7 2.7ghz, 4gb ram, 500gb hd

Think of RAM as workspace, like a desk. The less RAM you have, the smaller your workspace, so the fewer things you can have open and active at one time. Your computer uses swap memory to free up RAM for other tasks. So, just as if you were sitting at your desk, if you run out of desk space, you have to fold up a project you haven't touched in a little bit and put it away in your book bag to free up desk space for a new project. How unproductive is it going to be to keep swapping files from the desk to the bag back to the desk?

Same thing with RAM - your system will write a file you haven't touched in a while back to the hard drive in order to free up RAM for something new. If you go back to that original file, it has to pull it from the drive and move something else to the drive to make room. Increasing RAM is like increasing the size of your desk. You can now have more files open simultaneously before the system has to start moving files back to the drive again. Maybe you'll never have to move files back and forth to the drive - that's the goal.

When folks ask if they should be upgrading RAM, I recommend they check their Activity Monitor under Memory and look for Page Outs... every time your system writes out a file from RAM to the HD, that's a page out. The more you have, the more your system is choking from lack of RAM. Increasing RAM will cause a decrease in page outs, with the goal of keeping it as close to 0 as possible.
QUOTE Thanks
the awakening

the awakening is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Mid 2010 27" iMac 2.8GHz i5, 4GB, 1TB HDD, 1GB Radeon HD 5750

Nice pick up. What were the specs of the laptop though. If it was running windows 7, it must have been pretty new and maybe not worth that trade.
QUOTE Thanks
Buzzard2010

Buzzard2010 is just really niceBuzzard2010 is just really niceBuzzard2010 is just really niceBuzzard2010 is just really niceBuzzard2010 is just really nice
Mac Specs: iMac 21.5" i3 500gb HDD 4gb RAM OSX 10.9.2 - iPhone 5s 16gb

Quote:
Originally Posted by the awakening View Post
Nice pick up. What were the specs of the laptop though. If it was running windows 7, it must have been pretty new and maybe not worth that trade.
I don't know about that, as a test I put Windows 7 on my old Acer Laptop that had 1.2 GHz, 2 GB RAM, 60GB HDD, about 5 years old.

- Simon

If you have been helped, don't forget to use the Reputation system at the bottom of the users profile.
May 2011
Nominated: March 2011 & April 2011
QUOTE Thanks
G4 ibookboy

Mac Specs: g4 ibook 1.2/512 leopard, 2007 MacBook 2.0 c2d lion, 20" imac 1.8 cd , 2010 mac mini

it was about 6 months old, but it was already acting like windows to an extent, ie still sucks had to install chrome, and the constant updates it wanted to do to both the os and the antivirus was enough to drive someone who was used to os x nuts. it may have been worth more money wise but to not have to completely learn how to use the new type of windows it seems worth it! im much happier with my sweet little ibook, plus its much lighter to carry around! easier to use too Apples os just works, no constant thinking about how to use it!
QUOTE Thanks
hugtheslug

hugtheslug is a jewel in the roughhugtheslug is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 2013 MacBook Air i5 13" / MacBook C2D 2.13GHz / iMac G5 iSight 1.9GHz / iMac G5 1.6 GHz / Pismo G4

When I had an iBook G4 1.2 ghz it made so much difference maxing the RAM out, especially running Leopard. You're only on the minimum RAM for that at the moment.

Cheers

Hugh

A little knowledge is a dangerous thing.
Warning - this user has only a little knowledge
QUOTE Thanks
G4 ibookboy

im planning on getting a 1 ghz ram stick in the next few days, just had a monster of a snow storm here. the weather service says chicago got 20.2 inches but it sure seems more like closer to 3 feet.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Early death of MAcBook (04.2008) is that it? | I need advice!! »