New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

Original Install discs

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

ThePope43

ThePope43 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 2010 17" MBP |core i7 2.66|4gb ddr3|500gb 7200rpm|snow leopard|

Now although I'm becoming where I would consider highly knowledgable in the Mac field in only 6 months, there's something that's been nagging me and I've been meaning to ask; so I am now.

Why is it so extremely important to keep your original install discs?

Don't forget the +reputation button on the left!
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePope43 View Post
Now although I'm becoming where I would consider highly knowledgable in the Mac field in only 6 months, there's something that's been nagging me and I've been meaning to ask; so I am now.

Why is it so extremely important to keep your original install discs?
Because they are model specific...any only work in the model Mac that they were shipped with. Disc#1 can be used to restore a persons Mac to it's original shipping OS version. Disc #2 contains a "hardware test" program.

Having CD/DVD to "boot" from is also very important when trying to troubleshoot a problem...especially if it is hard drive related.

HTH,

- Nick

- Computer slow, too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
6string

6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)

^^ and also considered essential by many buyers if ever selling your Mac.
QUOTE Thanks
djdawson

djdawson will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: MacPro & 17" MacBook Pro

You can also use the install disks to reset your password in case you forget it, though there are other methods for doing that as well.

Dana
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz OS X.9.4 and OS X.10

And one of the best diagnostic tools is Apple Hardware Test which of course is located on the original install discs. Checks out logic board, memory, drives, graphics etc.

Hang on to those original install discs like grim death! Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!
QUOTE Thanks
ThePope43

So if you lose them...and seriously want them, can you re-buy them from apple?

QUOTE Thanks
6string

6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)

Quote:
Up to date, yes
QUOTE Thanks
ThePope43

That's good to know because I lost both my mothers and my girlfriends!!!!!!!!!!

I know I know, shame shame on me...I have my own discs and lost theirs! What's more sad is that all of our laptops are about only 6 months old....wow.

Thanks a lot, I'm going to get on that immediately because I want to make sure they have them.

QUOTE Thanks
Randy B. Singer

Randy B. Singer is a name known to allRandy B. Singer is a name known to allRandy B. Singer is a name known to allRandy B. Singer is a name known to allRandy B. Singer is a name known to allRandy B. Singer is a name known to allRandy B. Singer is a name known to all

Quote:
I don't want to sound too much like the attorney that I am, but if you purchased your Macintosh new, you purchased not just the hardware, but a *license* to own and use the software on those disks.

If you have lost those disks, you still haven't lost the right to that license. You still have a legal right to access to that software and Apple is legally obligated to make sure that you have that access.

What that means to you is that if you can prove to Apple that you purchased your Mac new (i.e. with a store receipt, or a credit card bill) you have a right to have that software replaced at no additional charge, though they are entitled to charge you a nominal sum to cover the cost of the physical media and shipping.

If you approach Apple and are really polite, and can show unequivocally that you purchased your Mac new, and explain the above, I've known them to just send a user replacement disks.

I can't guaranty that it will work that way for you, but in a perfect world, that's how it is supposed to work.

Randy B. Singer
Co-author of The Macintosh Bible (4th, 5th, and 6th editions)

Macintosh OS X Routine Maintenance
OS X Maintenance And Troubleshooting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy B. Singer View Post
I don't want to sound too much like the attorney that I am, but if you purchased your Macintosh new, you purchased not just the hardware, but a *license* to own and use the software on those disks.

If you have lost those disks, you still haven't lost the right to that license. You still have a legal right to access to that software and Apple is legally obligated to make sure that you have that access.

What that means to you is that if you can prove to Apple that you purchased your Mac new (i.e. with a store receipt, or a credit card bill) you have a right to have that software replaced at no additional charge, though they are entitled to charge you a nominal sum to cover the cost of the physical media and shipping.

If you approach Apple and are really polite, and can show unequivocally that you purchased your Mac new, and explain the above, I've known them to just send a user replacement disks.

I can't guaranty that it will work that way for you, but in a perfect world, that's how it is supposed to work.

Randy B. Singer

I suppose if you buy a cd and loose it, the vendor has to give you a free one?!
QUOTE Thanks
ClockworkWorld

ClockworkWorld has a spectacular aura about

Agreed... Buying the machine by no stretch means that Apple is "obligated" to make sure you have access to the software. Sure, you bought a license. But you lose the CD's, that's your fault, your problem. Now, they may or may not be kind and give them to you for no cost depending on the situation, but I wouldn't count on it, nor by any means are they obligated to do so. But of course you can buy them from Apple, it's easy to do and when you get them, keep them in a safe place

Late 2010 iMac 27 inch  2.93GHz i7 16GB RAM 2TB HDD
2011 Macbook Pro 17 inch Glossy  2.3GHz Quad-core i7 8GB RAM 750GB HDD
QUOTE Thanks
Randy B. Singer

Randy B. Singer is a name known to allRandy B. Singer is a name known to allRandy B. Singer is a name known to allRandy B. Singer is a name known to allRandy B. Singer is a name known to allRandy B. Singer is a name known to allRandy B. Singer is a name known to all

Other thoughts:

The Installer disks that came with your Mac aren't necessarily specific to that model (though sometimes they are). Often, but not always, you can use the disks that came with a contemporaneous or newer model of Mac with another model of Macintosh.
What's a "computer-specific Mac OS X release"?

The commercial OS X disks that you can purchase separately (i.e. they aren't the ones that come with a new Mac) are universal. (Or at least they are for the models that are new enough to meet the hardware requirements.)
Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard - Apple Store (U.S.)
Note that OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard) is only $29.

You don't always need the original disks to run Disk Utility. You can run Repair Permissions from the copy of Disk Utility (that is automatically installed with OS X) that resides in your Applications/Utilities folder.

While you can't run Disk Utility/Repair Disk from the copy of Disk Utility that resides on your hard drive, you can run the equivalent of Repair Disk without the need of your OS X Installer disks by performing a Safe Boot, or by booting into Single User Mode and running FSCK:
Resolve startup issues and perform disk maintenance with Disk Utility and fsck
Mac OS X: Starting up in Safe Mode

You definitely need the OS X Installer Disks to run Hardware Test, but you can do a RAM test without them. Actually a more thorough RAM test, if you use:

rember (free)
Kelley Computing - Rember

Randy B. Singer

Well once I buy new discs again I'm planning on making copies of them and giving them those "copies" to keep with them, for whatever the reason may be and keep the original discs in my filing cabinet.

I'm more interested in having the discs specifically for the sake of having the discs on hand for things such as resale or something else I cannot name at the moment.

QUOTE Thanks
6string

Some flaws in your post, and I really don't want to see others misled, so.....

[QUOTE=Randy B. Singer;1179454]Other thoughts:

The Installer disks that came with your Mac aren't necessarily specific to that model (though sometimes they are). Often, but not always, you can use the disks that came with a contemporaneous or newer model of Mac with another model of Macintosh.
What's a "computer-specific Mac OS X release"?[QUOTE]

The Installer disks that came with your Mac aren't necessarily specific to that model but most often are!
It is vary rare that you can use the disks that came with a contemporaneous or newer model of Mac with another model of Macintosh.

Quote:
The commercial OS X disks that you can purchase separately (i.e. they aren't the ones that come with a new Mac) are universal. (Or at least they are for the models that are new enough to meet the hardware requirements.)
Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard - Apple Store (U.S.)
This is true, unless the model came with an OS newer than than that release.
ie. A retail version of OS X 10.6.0 won't work on a Mac that was released with OS X 10.6.3.

Quote:
You don't always need the original disks to run Disk Utility. You can run Repair Permissions from the copy of Disk Utility (that is automatically installed with OS X) that resides in your Applications/Utilities folder.

About Disk Utility's Repair Disk Permissions feature
Quote:
When possible, disk permissions should be repaired while started up from a Mac OS X volume (hard disk) that contains Mac OS X, instead of a Mac OS X installation disc. Mac OS X software updates may change permissions on some files to improve security. When this occurs, the version of Disk Utility on the Mac OS X volume is updated to account for the new permissions. Running Disk Utility while started from the Mac OS X volume ensures that the changes made by software updates are preserved.
Quote:
While you can't run Disk Utility/Repair Disk from the copy of Disk Utility that resides on your hard drive, you can run the equivalent of Repair Disk without the need of your OS X Installer disks by performing a Safe Boot, or by booting into Single User Mode and running FSCK:
Mac OS X: Starting up in Safe Mode
Quote:
Tip: Always start up your computer from an Install or Restore disc when using Disk Utility to verify or repair your startup volume. Otherwise, you might see some disk error messages.
QUOTE Thanks
ClockworkWorld

ClockworkWorld has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6string View Post
The Installer disks that came with your Mac aren't necessarily specific to that model but most often are!
It is vary rare that you can use the disks that came with a contemporaneous or newer model of Mac with another model of Macintosh.
Indeed. To show just how specific... My wife's friend has a 15 inch MBP, from mid-2010. We have a 17 inch from this January. They lost their discs, and we tried to use ours. It would not work. Popped up a message saying it could not be used on that MBP. So the discs are VERY specific to your EXACT model. That's why the discs that come with your machine quite specifically say the model they are for. Even down to the screen size.

Late 2010 iMac 27 inch  2.93GHz i7 16GB RAM 2TB HDD
2011 Macbook Pro 17 inch Glossy  2.3GHz Quad-core i7 8GB RAM 750GB HDD
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Ok to buy this MBP | Can't download torrents!!! please help!!! »