New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

macbook probs

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

enyaw

enyaw is on a distinguished road

Hi, I was on another board and someone was asking what to do about this problem. I mentioned a time machine boot, but she doesn't know about it. Any suggestions?

thanks,

I have had a MACBOOK for a few years and love it! However, I reinserted my software CD recently to try and fix a problem. In mid run, I ejected it. Since then my screen is light blue and the small circular wheel icon keeps turning. It will not respond to keying at all.
(It is not the colorful "beachball" icon BTW).

Does anyone have some suggestions so that I can avoid taking it in???
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by enyaw View Post
Hi, I was on another board and someone was asking what to do about this problem. I mentioned a time machine boot, but she doesn't know about it. Any suggestions?

"I have had a MACBOOK for a few years and love it! However, I reinserted my software CD recently to try and fix a problem. In mid run, I ejected it. Since then my screen is light blue and the small circular wheel icon keeps turning. It will not respond to keying at all."
Depends on what this person was doing when they inserted the disk. If they were trying to reinstall the OS, or were trying to repair something on the hard drive...it wasn't a very smart idea to try to eject the disk midway thru the process!

They may have screwed things up so much (the hard drive directory)...that the computer doesn't even know what to do...and the worst case scenario might be to:

- reformat the hard drive
- reinstall the OS

Of course this will mean the user will lose all their files.

Another idea would be...boot the computer from an external drive (with an OS on it)...and then see if the internal hard drive "mounts" properly to get access to the files on it.

A 3rd idea is...boot the computer from an OS install DVD...launch Disk Utility...and see if the hard drive can be repaired (but tell the user NOT to try ejecting the DVD midway thru the process)!!!

- Nick

- Computer slow, too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
enyaw

enyaw is on a distinguished road

thanks for the info, I will forward your suggestions to her.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Remote Disc Issue - Win7 to MBP | Screwdriver to open MBP? »