New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

Can't shut down. Please help!

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Stev0lution

Stev0lution is on a distinguished road

I'm using a 13" 2010 MBP. It won't seem to shut down. I can select shut down from the menu and the power button shows the shut down option, but when it powers off, it cycles right back on. Same thing with sleep. I've reset both the PRAM and SMC with neither one doing any good. Any suggestions?
QUOTE Thanks
Buzzard2010

Buzzard2010 is just really niceBuzzard2010 is just really niceBuzzard2010 is just really niceBuzzard2010 is just really niceBuzzard2010 is just really nice
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 15" 2014, 2.2GHz i7, 16GB RAM, 250GB SSD, OSX 10.9.5 - iPhone 5s 16gb

Force shut down the machine by holding the power button for about 6 seconds (or until it powers off). This should keep it off. Turn it back on let it load and shutdown like normal again. See if it solves your problem.

- Simon

If you have been helped, don't forget to use the Reputation system at the top right of their post.
May 2011
Nominated: March 2011 & April 2011
QUOTE Thanks
Stev0lution

It will only shut down via physically pressing and holding the power button. Once I turn it back on, and try to shut down again, the same thing happens. I've also tried repairing permissions with both disk utility and onyx...
QUOTE Thanks
osxx

osxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3

Do you have anything checked in sharing under system preferences and does this still happen if you are disconnected from the internet?
QUOTE Thanks
Stev0lution

Nothing is checked under system preferences and I turned off Airport. Still reboots after shutdown/sleep. Also, I don't know if this is a related issue, but I just found out that if I hold the power button to shut down and reconnect the AC adapter, it starts up without me having to press the power button.
QUOTE Thanks
osxx

osxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3

I would take it to an Apple Store and let them check it out.
QUOTE Thanks
Stev0lution

I would take it straight to an Apple Store, but unfortunately for me, the closest one is about 6 hours away.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Help needed. MacbookPro login problem. | Spilled water on mac! »