New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

Replacing a failed MacBook Hard Drive

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

whoaitsmin

whoaitsmin is on a distinguished road

I just found out my MacBook HD just died. Could I just buy an external hard drive and use that? or do I need to buy an internal one.
QUOTE Thanks
robduckyworth

robduckyworth is a name known to allrobduckyworth is a name known to allrobduckyworth is a name known to allrobduckyworth is a name known to allrobduckyworth is a name known to allrobduckyworth is a name known to allrobduckyworth is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, 2.5GHz i7, 750GB, 6770M 1GB, iPad 3, iPhone 4, custom PC

it would be slower to run off an external, you'd be better off going for an internal for higher data transfer rates.

If you find a post helpful, don't forget to use the reputation system (top right of post.)
Join us in the IRC! How? Add me on Steam, Origin or PSN (Vita): robduckyworth
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by whoaitsmin View Post
I just found out my MacBook HD just died. Could I just buy an external hard drive and use that? or do I need to buy an internal one.
Just replace the internal...it's very easy.

- Nick

- Computer slow, too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
whoaitsmin

ok, is there a company you would recommend? looking at 250 GB or 320 GB with 5400 rpm.
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
ok, is there a company you would recommend? looking at 250 GB or 320 GB with 5400 rpm.
These guys are pretty good:

OWC

...I just ordered some stuff from them on Tuesday.

- Nick

- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
QUOTE Thanks
whoaitsmin

thanks for the help
QUOTE Thanks
Jaygray

Jaygray is a jewel in the roughJaygray is a jewel in the roughJaygray is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: Unibody MacBook Pro 2.26, 4gb RAM, 500gb HD

As cheap as they are, I'd recommend a 500GB 7200 RPM. You'll notice a nice bump in performance w/ a 7200 RPM drive, and the price difference is minimal.

CompUSA.com | ST9500420AS | Seagate Momentus 7200.4 Mobile Hard Drive

Amazon.com: Western Digital Scorpio 2.5-Inch 500 GB SATA Internal Hard Drive WD5000BEKT (Black): Electronics
QUOTE Thanks
robduckyworth

robduckyworth is a name known to allrobduckyworth is a name known to allrobduckyworth is a name known to allrobduckyworth is a name known to allrobduckyworth is a name known to allrobduckyworth is a name known to allrobduckyworth is a name known to all

thats the drive i have, the momentus. its top notch.

If you find a post helpful, don't forget to use the reputation system (top right of post.)
QUOTE Thanks
whoaitsmin

ended up ordering the 320 GB seagate momentus 5400 rpm. i dont do any work on my macbook that 7200 rpm would make a difference. and i read that a higher rpm has a higher chance of frying, is this true?
QUOTE Thanks
osxx

osxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3

Quote:
ended up ordering the 320 GB seagate momentus 5400 rpm. i dont do any work on my macbook that 7200 rpm would make a difference. and i read that a higher rpm has a higher chance of frying, is this true?
A hard drive could fail without warning and the current crop of 7200 will be just as reliable as the 5400 you might take a slight hit on the battery but the performance increase would probably out weigh it.
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

Quote:
If the small price difference wasn't a concern...I would have gone with the 7200 as well.

As "osxx" mentioned...I really wouldn't have any durability concerns regarding 7200rpm drives. It's not like they're new/untested technology...they've been around a while.

- Nick

QUOTE Thanks
robduckyworth

i havent seen a noticeable drop in battery at all since i swapped mine out.

QUOTE Thanks
Jaygray

Jaygray is a jewel in the roughJaygray is a jewel in the roughJaygray is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: Unibody MacBook Pro 2.26, 4gb RAM, 500gb HD

I think it's funny that people worry so much about adding more RAM to get a bump in performance, yet no one ever asks if it's worth it to upgrade their drive--which is actually the upgrade that would give them the greater boost.
QUOTE Thanks
CrimsonRequiem

CrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to all
Mac Specs: MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaygray View Post
I think it's funny that people worry so much about adding more RAM to get a bump in performance, yet no one ever asks if it's worth it to upgrade their drive--which is actually the upgrade that would give them the greater boost.
Depends what you are doing with your machine actually. If you need to have a lot of space, access files and install stuff quickly then yes a faster HDD would be ideal. More ram helps with multi-tasking, and applications benefit as well (Less beach balling).

死神はリンゴしか食べない。
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« PowerBook G4 black box around selection and more | Upgrading macbook white ram sticks »