New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

Apple disc question

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

cam00007678

cam00007678 is on a distinguished road

i have a 13" macbook pro and I need my discs because i'm going to be installing windows over the weekend. I might have lost my discs so i borrowed my friend's. He has a 15" macbook pro and i was just wondering if they would work for my 13"

thanks
QUOTE Thanks
Buzzard2010

Buzzard2010 is just really niceBuzzard2010 is just really niceBuzzard2010 is just really niceBuzzard2010 is just really niceBuzzard2010 is just really nice
Mac Specs: iMac 21.5" i3 500gb HDD 4gb RAM OSX 10.9.2 - iPhone 5s 16gb

Simply put if they are the disks that came with the machine then more than likely not no. The disks that come with machines are extremely model specific
Question though: why do you need the disks to install windows? Is it for the windows side boot camp drivers? if so you can download them.
Go to the following page after installing windows and look on the right hand side for the drivers
Apple - Support - Boot Camp

- Simon

If you have been helped, don't forget to use the Reputation system at the bottom of the users profile.
May 2011
Nominated: March 2011 & April 2011
QUOTE Thanks
cam00007678

yeah its for the drivers, if i can download them that would be great. and thanks!
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

You will need the correct DVD or a retail copy of Snow Leopard. Those downloads that buzzard referred to are updates to Boot Camp and will not install without first having Boot Camp.

Buy a copy of Snow Leopard from Apple or Best Buy. $29
QUOTE Thanks
cam00007678

I have snow leopard already, the discs should be home as well. I found a download, could you let me know if its the right thing?
Boot Camp Update for MacBook Pro (13-inch, Mid 2010) (Windows 64 bit)
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute

I just stated in my previous reply that an update will not work. The link you provided is an update not the original Boot Camp software found on your install DVD. Again, buy a copy of Snow Leopard if you really want to install Windows or wait until you get home.
QUOTE Thanks
cam00007678

I already have boot camp on my computer, i'm just looking for something that i could use as a replacement for the drivers disc that came with my computer.
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

You have the Boot Camp Assistant on your machine not the Boot Camp drivers or software that get's installed from the DVD to the Windows partition. That's why you can't update it with the those downloads - you need the DVD.
QUOTE Thanks
EvenStranger

EvenStranger is just really niceEvenStranger is just really niceEvenStranger is just really niceEvenStranger is just really niceEvenStranger is just really nice
Mac Specs: Currently 13" Late 2010 MBA, 4GB/128GB; Early 2011 13" MBP, dual core i7 2.7ghz, 4gb ram, 500gb hd

I think I understand what you're asking. You've got Boot Camp installed, I assume you have the Windows installer already, so you're looking for the Windows drivers for the Mac hardware. In this instance, the disks for the MacBook Pro should be fine to load the Windows drivers. The disks themselves won't have the correct drivers for the Mac OS side of things, as it's designed for a different model, but the Windows side is fairly generic, and from past experience should be ok.

The update you reference above is to enhance stability and security running Boot Camp, not for updating drivers necessarily, although it wouldn't surprise me if they hid one or two driver updates in it.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Ibook G4 Component Issue | Dashboard issues »