New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

Spilled water on mac!

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Joyce

Joyce is on a distinguished road

I spilled quite a lot of water on my white macbook two days ago, it was on when this happened and turned off by itself a few seconds after the spillage. I quickly wiped the surface clean and took out the battery (the little light on the charger was blinking when I disconnected it). I left it to dry for more than a day and tried to turn it on, but nothing happened! It won't charge either! Which part is damaged for this kind of things to show? Is it gonna get fixed?
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joyce View Post
I spilled quite a lot of water on my white macbook two days ago, it was on when this happened and turned off by itself a few seconds after the spillage. I quickly wiped the surface clean and took out the battery (the little light on the charger was blinking when I disconnected it). I left it to dry for more than a day and tried to turn it on, but nothing happened! It won't charge either! Which part is damaged for this kind of things to show? Is it gonna get fixed?
Sorry to say it...but your MacBook sounds like it's done for! We hear of this sort of thing more often than we would like. But just in case...give this a read:

http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/app...ow-thread.html

Good luck,

- Nick

- Too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
nicecrew

nicecrew is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Model Name: MacBook Model Identifier: MacBook3,1 Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo Processor Sp

Do not give up on it yet. Once I spilled an entire glass of water on my MacBook and funny thing is, now it works even better than ever.
Take it into your local apple store there might be something they can do to help.
Try contacting apple support too. heres their number U.S. iPod, Mac and iPad technical support:
(800) APL-CARE (800-275-2273)
they can probably give some help too!
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, Yosemite

@nicecrew

You were lucky. Spilling anything on your computer while it's running will very likely fry something. Electronic components and water do not mix. I would say that well over 90% of spills wind up damaging the machine.
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicecrew View Post
Do not give up on it yet. Once I spilled an entire glass of water on my MacBook and funny thing is, now it works even better than ever.
Yes you were lucky...but I don't think that you can say this..."now it works even better than ever."

...this implies that your MacBook is running better AFTER you spilled a glass of water on it...and I truly don't think that can happen!

As far as Apple helping...they're not going to do anything...other than tell you that you need a new $600-$700 logic board!

- Nick

- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
QUOTE Thanks
alexsd123

alexsd123 has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: Macbook Pro 13"

If it doesn't end up working, you're better off selling the computer and buying a new / used one.
QUOTE Thanks
MacDude121

MacDude121 is a glorious beacon of lightMacDude121 is a glorious beacon of lightMacDude121 is a glorious beacon of lightMacDude121 is a glorious beacon of lightMacDude121 is a glorious beacon of lightMacDude121 is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: Black MacBook 2.2GHz C2D, 4GB Ram - iMac G4 700MHz, 512MB Ram

You'd think they'd come up with the spill-proof keyboard by now... Just something to give the Laptop a way to shed the liquid and to give you a chance to shut the power off and yank the battery before it fries. Then again, the more people kill their laptops with liquids, the more money the company makes when you have to go buy a new one.
QUOTE Thanks
mkjt88

mkjt88 is on a distinguished road

One thing I've known to work for phones is put it in rice and it absorbs the moisture. Not sure what it will do for the Mac but if nothing else I'd give it a try before buying parts.
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacDude121 View Post
You'd think they'd come up with the spill-proof keyboard by now... Just something to give the Laptop a way to shed the liquid and to give you a chance to shut the power off and yank the battery before it fries. Then again, the more people kill their laptops with liquids, the more money the company makes when you have to go buy a new one.
They do have that...it's called a "Toughbook":

Toughbook - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

- Nick

QUOTE Thanks
MacDude121

MacDude121 is a glorious beacon of lightMacDude121 is a glorious beacon of lightMacDude121 is a glorious beacon of lightMacDude121 is a glorious beacon of lightMacDude121 is a glorious beacon of lightMacDude121 is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: Black MacBook 2.2GHz C2D, 4GB Ram - iMac G4 700MHz, 512MB Ram

Quote:
Originally Posted by pigoo3 View Post
They do have that...it's called a "Toughbook":

Toughbook - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

- Nick
I laughed when I read this:
Quote:
Toughbooks have also inadvertently served as bulletproof vests
That's just awesome. If only my iBook could save me from a hail of gunfire.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Can't shut down. Please help! | macbook pro keyboard issues »