Results 1 to 12 of 12

Thread: MBP with SSD??

  1. #1
    MBP with SSD??
    cjjr72984's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jan 10, 2011
    Posts
    23
    Specs:
    MBP 13" (2011) 2.3GHZ Core i5, 320 GB HD, Intel HD Graphics 3000 , Snow Leopard
    MBP with SSD??
    Soon I'll be purchasing a 2010 Macbook Pro 13". I'm just a little torn if I should have Apple install a 128gb SSD or just roll with a Hard Drive.


    I've seen Youtube vids and have read about the Solid State Drive technology on this website. Seems like it makes your computer faster, and quieter. However, I've also heard the performance over time doesn't sustain.


    Can anybody shed some light on this? I'm confused

  2. #2
    MBP with SSD??
    chscag's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jan 23, 2008
    Location
    Fort Worth, Texas
    Posts
    45,293
    Specs:
    27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, iPhone 6+, 3 iPods, Yosemite
    You can always install an SSD hard drive later on if you wish. It's best to purchase your MBP with a standard hard drive offered by Apple and the standard amount of memory. Both of these are easy upgrades to do later on if you should desire. Neither will void your warranty and it will be less expensive as a do it yourself project. Apple charges premium prices for SSD drives and memory.

  3. #3
    MBP with SSD??
    cjjr72984's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jan 10, 2011
    Posts
    23
    Specs:
    MBP 13" (2011) 2.3GHZ Core i5, 320 GB HD, Intel HD Graphics 3000 , Snow Leopard
    Quote Originally Posted by chscag View Post
    You can always install an SSD hard drive later on if you wish. It's best to purchase your MBP with a standard hard drive offered by Apple and the standard amount of memory. Both of these are easy upgrades to do later on if you should desire. Neither will void your warranty and it will be less expensive as a do it yourself project. Apple charges premium prices for SSD drives and memory.
    Thanks for responding.


    But I've read different answers to this question so I'll ask again....

    If I installed a 3rd party SSD into my Macbook, will that void the Applecare warranty?

  4. #4
    MBP with SSD??
    chscag's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jan 23, 2008
    Location
    Fort Worth, Texas
    Posts
    45,293
    Specs:
    27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, iPhone 6+, 3 iPods, Yosemite
    But I've read different answers to this question so I'll ask again....

    If I installed a 3rd party SSD into my Macbook, will that void the Applecare warranty?
    Installing a hard drive (SSD or standard) in your MBP - in other words removing the original and replacing it with one you purchased - does not void your warranty.

    Now of course this doesn't mean you can install a drive that is not compatible with or may cause damage to your MBP. Common sense prevails here. And, if you damage anything when changing out the hard drive, the cost of repair is on you. Again, common sense.

    Same goes for replacing or adding memory to your MBP.

  5. #5
    MBP with SSD??
    cjjr72984's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jan 10, 2011
    Posts
    23
    Specs:
    MBP 13" (2011) 2.3GHZ Core i5, 320 GB HD, Intel HD Graphics 3000 , Snow Leopard
    Quote Originally Posted by chscag View Post
    Installing a hard drive (SSD or standard) in your MBP - in other words removing the original and replacing it with one you purchased - does not void your warranty.

    Now of course this doesn't mean you can install a drive that is not compatible with or may cause damage to your MBP. Common sense prevails here. And, if you damage anything when changing out the hard drive, the cost of repair is on you. Again, common sense.

    Same goes for replacing or adding memory to your MBP.
    Ok so....if I install this SSD

    Amazon.com: ADATA 128 GB S599 Sandforce 2.5-Inch SATA II 3.0Gb/s Internal Solid State Drive (SSD) AS599S-128GM-C (Black): Electronics

    Would I be able to un-install it in a year or two? Or are SSD's permanent once installed?

  6. #6
    MBP with SSD??
    techo91's Avatar
    Member Since
    Dec 09, 2009
    Location
    Spain
    Posts
    59
    Specs:
    MacBook Pro 17'' late 2010, core i7 2.66, 4 Gb ram
    Yes you would, there's nothing permanent about installing a SSD, you can always replace it later with some other HDD.

  7. #7
    MBP with SSD??
    chscag's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jan 23, 2008
    Location
    Fort Worth, Texas
    Posts
    45,293
    Specs:
    27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, iPhone 6+, 3 iPods, Yosemite
    What Amazon sells is sometimes great and sometimes not. I don't know anything at all about that particular SSD. I recommend you go to the Other World Computing site (they're Mac specialists) and take a look at what they have to offer for SSD drives. LINK I do all my on line purchases from them and have never been disappointed with their items or their service.

    And, of course an SSD can be removed and replaced just like any other hard drive. Many of us have updated our hard drives several times over the years. No hard drive is permanent.

  8. #8
    MBP with SSD??
    cjjr72984's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jan 10, 2011
    Posts
    23
    Specs:
    MBP 13" (2011) 2.3GHZ Core i5, 320 GB HD, Intel HD Graphics 3000 , Snow Leopard
    Quote Originally Posted by techo91 View Post
    Yes you would, there's nothing permanent about installing a SSD, you can always replace it later with some other HDD.
    Quote Originally Posted by chscag View Post
    What Amazon sells is sometimes great and sometimes not. I don't know anything at all about that particular SSD. I recommend you go to the Other World Computing site (they're Mac specialists) and take a look at what they have to offer for SSD drives. LINK I do all my on line purchases from them and have never been disappointed with their items or their service.

    And, of course an SSD can be removed and replaced just like any other hard drive. Many of us have updated our hard drives several times over the years. No hard drive is permanent.
    Thank you both for your responses (and the link). Much appreciated.

    I'm still wondering if that hoopla about SSD's not being as fast over time is true.

    That's the only thing holding me back from the technology.

  9. #9
    MBP with SSD??
    cjjr72984's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jan 10, 2011
    Posts
    23
    Specs:
    MBP 13" (2011) 2.3GHZ Core i5, 320 GB HD, Intel HD Graphics 3000 , Snow Leopard
    Oh yea, another question.


    If I buy my MBP brand new then install my SSD before my first boot-up, do I still have to do a data transfer?

  10. #10
    MBP with SSD??
    techo91's Avatar
    Member Since
    Dec 09, 2009
    Location
    Spain
    Posts
    59
    Specs:
    MacBook Pro 17'' late 2010, core i7 2.66, 4 Gb ram
    When you buy your new MBP, it'll come with installation CD. You can swap the HDD with an SSD and afterwards install Snow Leopard from that CD, but if you don't swap it, Snow Leopard will be preinstalled on your Mac (with the original HDD). It's totally up to you.

  11. #11
    MBP with SSD??
    cjjr72984's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jan 10, 2011
    Posts
    23
    Specs:
    MBP 13" (2011) 2.3GHZ Core i5, 320 GB HD, Intel HD Graphics 3000 , Snow Leopard
    Quote Originally Posted by techo91 View Post
    When you buy your new MBP, it'll come with installation CD. You can swap the HDD with an SSD and afterwards install Snow Leopard from that CD, but if you don't swap it, Snow Leopard will be preinstalled on your Mac (with the original HDD). It's totally up to you.
    And the Snow Leapord disc has all the software on it? Garageband, iPhoto, iMovie, etc etc??

  12. #12
    MBP with SSD??
    cjjr72984's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jan 10, 2011
    Posts
    23
    Specs:
    MBP 13" (2011) 2.3GHZ Core i5, 320 GB HD, Intel HD Graphics 3000 , Snow Leopard
    Nevermind, I looked and saw that the Snow Leapord disc has everything on it.


    Thanks for all the responses!

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 06-14-2012, 03:01 AM
  2. SSD for 06 mbp?
    By jhdogg in forum Apple Notebooks
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 10-19-2011, 12:13 AM
  3. 2 SSD in MBP
    By optikalefx in forum Apple Notebooks
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 12-13-2009, 03:33 AM
  4. Replies: 4
    Last Post: 07-26-2009, 11:11 AM
  5. best SSD for MBP 17'?
    By itsmejaehoon in forum Apple Notebooks
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 06-15-2009, 04:11 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •