New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

Help needed

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Elizabeth W

Elizabeth W is on a distinguished road

Hi - Hope someone can help me - I have a mac OS x version 10.5.8. last week I opened it up to a blue screen and nothing I could do would make it come back. I referred to my handbook which told me how to reset it. I was quite proud that I had, or rather thought I had been successful. Now it will only let me log into guest account, I have tried to reset it, but no joy. Any geniuses out there that can help?
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elizabeth W View Post
Any geniuses out there that can help?
Plenty of knowledgeable folks here on Mac-Forums...but we cannot read minds. So it would REALLY help if you told us:

- which Macintosh model you have
- it's specifications (processor speed, ram, etc.)
- if you purchased it new or used
- anything that you've done so far to try & fix it

Basically as much info you can give us regarding the problem

Thanks,

- Nick

- Computer slow, too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
Elizabeth W

Hi - Hope this helps. I purchased it new 2.5 years ago and this is the first problem I have had with it. I have tried changing my password - thanks

Model Name: MacBook Air
Model Identifier: MacBookAir1,1
Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo
Processor Speed: 1.6 GHz
Number Of Processors: 1
Total Number Of Cores: 2
L2 Cache: 4 MB
Memory: 2 GB
Bus Speed: 800 MHz
Boot ROM Version: MBA11.00BB.B03
SMC Version (system): 1.23f20
QUOTE Thanks
Buzzard2010

Buzzard2010 is just really niceBuzzard2010 is just really niceBuzzard2010 is just really niceBuzzard2010 is just really niceBuzzard2010 is just really nice
Mac Specs: iMac 21.5" i3 500gb HDD 4gb RAM OSX 10.9.2 - iPhone 5s 16gb

Try booting into your usb stick that came with the machine that has the OS installation on it.
Boot it up with that, click Utilities > Disk Utility, click your hdd, click the First Aid tab, click Repair Disk, after this has completed click Repair Permissions. This could take a little while so be patient with it.
Once completed reboot and see if the problem persists.

- Simon

If you have been helped, don't forget to use the Reputation system at the bottom of the users profile.
May 2011
Nominated: March 2011 & April 2011
QUOTE Thanks
Elizabeth W

Hi - I dont think I got one with it. I looked in more info on computer and it says Host Controller Location: Built In USB
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

Note: Thread moved to appropriate forum.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Hi - Hope this helps. I purchased it new 2.5 years ago and this is the first problem I have had with it. I have tried changing my password - thanks

Model Name: MacBook Air
Model Identifier: MacBookAir1,1
Telling us that you have a MacBook Air...is a MAJOR major important bit of information (left out in your initial post). As you very well know...MacBook Air's do not have a CD/DVD drive...so some troubleshooting options that we might normally suggest...are not possible.

All Mac's (other than the MacBook Air) come with "restore disks" which allow you to boot your computer from the CD/DVD instead of your hard drive...which aids in troubleshooting or restoring the computer.

If you do not have or (did not get) a "USB Key"/"USB Stick" with your MBA (they may not have come with older MBA's...they do come with newer MBA's)...and if you don't have an external CD/DVD drive to boot your computer from a Mac OS install disk...it's going to be tougher to troubleshoot this problem.

- Nick

- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
QUOTE Thanks
Elizabeth W

Hi Nick - I dont have an external cd/dvd. Also when I check on the info it says the USB is built in - Elizabeth
QUOTE Thanks
Buzzard2010

Buzzard2010 is just really niceBuzzard2010 is just really niceBuzzard2010 is just really niceBuzzard2010 is just really niceBuzzard2010 is just really nice
Mac Specs: iMac 21.5" i3 500gb HDD 4gb RAM OSX 10.9.2 - iPhone 5s 16gb

Restart the MBA, just after you hear the startup chime hold the "alt" key. This should gives you boot options. You should definitely see your hdd, but if you have another option let us know.

- Simon

If you have been helped, don't forget to use the Reputation system at the bottom of the users profile.
May 2011
Nominated: March 2011 & April 2011
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

Quote:
Hi Nick - I dont have an external cd/dvd. Also when I check on the info it says the USB is built in - Elizabeth
I think that you're misunderstanding the "USB" portion of this discussion. Just about EVERY laptop/notebook computer sold in the past 10 years or so has one more more "built-in" USB ports.

What we're talking about is a USB "flash drive" (those small "thumb drives" or "memory sticks" that you plug into the computer to transfer files/data).

- Nick

QUOTE Thanks
Elizabeth W

um!!! Dont think I got one - but then again maybe have to have a good look - thx
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

Quote:
um!!! Dont think I got one - but then again maybe have to have a good look - thx
You may not have one...these may only have been included with newer MacBook Airs. Here's a link to an older User Manual for older MacBook Air's:

http://manuals.info.apple.com/en/mac...sers_guide.pdf

...here's a quote from page 9 of the User Manual "Although your MacBook Air doesn’t have an optical disc drive, it does include DVD discs with important software."

Thus you should have received 2 "gray-colored" DVD disks with the computer when you purchased it new 2.5 years ago. If you cannot find these disks...your best option is to call Apple at their "800" number...and request a duplicate set of these disks for your computer. Usually a $15-$20 dollar charge. Or you could go to your nearest Apple Store & purchase an OS 10.6 Sow Leopard install disk for $29.

Keep in mind...once you receive these disks...you will still need the "special" external DVD drive made for the MacBook Air...or have your MacBook Air networked to a 2nd Macintosh computer so that the gray DVD disks (or 10.6 Snow Leopard disk) can be booted from.

As you can see this is not necessarily a simple process...and so you may be better of going to the Apple Store and see if they can diagnose what is wrong (which may cost you some $$$).

I should also ask (since this computer is 2.5 years old)...do you happen to have the 3-year extended Applecare? If so...then definitely take the computer to the Apple Store have them look at it...since any troubleshooting/repairs would hopefully be covered by the Applecare warranty.

HTH,

- Nick

QUOTE Thanks
Elizabeth W

Thanks for your help Nick-I have the disks they are still unopened in the box. I think I will have to go into my Apple store to sort this problem - hope it doesnt cost to much as I never took out extended warranty. Kind regards Elizabeth
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Partitioning the Hard Drive | MBP 13 Advice before i buy »