New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

Is it bad to use laptop as a desktop?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Baderup99

Baderup99 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Macbook Pro 2.16ghz, 2gigram, 320HDD 7200rpm, dual-boot with XP.

I have a macbook pro from mid 2006.

I want to run parallels windows 7 running Visual Studio and on my mac side have itunes, chrome, photoshop, adium all at once.

I only have 2gig ram on my current MBP, so I was thinking maybe it's time for an upgrade.

My laptop is almost always docked, 98% of the time, is it bad for your laptop to always be plugged in and having lots of draining peripherals(ext hdds, wireless mouse/keyboard, two external monitors).

A looked at MacPro but including tax i wont get under $3k, I could get a pretty sweet new MBP for around $2200.

What's your thoughts?

At my Computer Tech Job
Me: Don't get anymore macs please
Boss: Why?
Me: Cuz I won't have a job if things never break!
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baderup99 View Post
I have a macbook pro from mid 2006.

I only have 2gig ram on my current MBP, so I was thinking maybe it's time for an upgrade.
This depends on what model MBP you have. Some of the early MBP's had a 2gig max. ram limit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baderup99 View Post
My laptop is almost always docked, 98% of the time, is it bad for your laptop to always be plugged in and having lots of draining peripherals(ext hdds, wireless mouse/keyboard, two external monitors).
First of all...those plugged in peripherals are not "draining peripherals"...they're just "peripherals". There's really nothing "draining" about them. IMHO...there is nothing wrong with having your MBP plugged in 98% of the time...mine is plugged in 99.7% of the time. Really...I have done the calculation.

I'm curious...how are you running two external monitors on your MBP? I know it can be done...I'm just curious what method you're using.

I hope this helps,

- Nick

p.s. We have actually had a couple questions just like your's lately. If you do a search...and find them...you may find them interesting reading.

- Computer slow, too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« OWC Data Doubler Alternative in UK | MacBook Air 13" purchase »