New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

New to Forum...Need Help

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

crabapple1212

crabapple1212 is on a distinguished road

I have a 13" Macbook Pro and last weekend the hard drive crashed. Took it and had the data saved, bought a Seagate Momentus XT Hard Drive for it. Installed the HD and put the install disk in and it will not recognize the HD. Any suggestions?
QUOTE Thanks
crabapple1212

Having trouble getting the OS to load on new Hard Drive. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance for your time.
QUOTE Thanks
6string

6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)

What you need to do is insert the install disc, restart your Mac, and as soon as you hear the chime, hold down the C key, and don't release it until you see the spinning gear.
-Select language and click continue.
-Select utilities>disk utility in the menu bar (this takes a few seconds to appear).
-Select the HD at the top of the list on the left.
-Click erase tab.
-Format Mac Os Extended (Journaled).
-Name Macintosh HD.
-Click erase.
-Quit disk utility menu, and continue with installation, or, you can select utilities in the Menu bar again and select restore from Time Machine Backup.
QUOTE Thanks
6string

6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)

Please don't cross post.
Anyway, I answered your question in your other thread in Apple Notebooks.
New to Forum...Need Help
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

Note: Merged crossposts.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
crabapple1212

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6string View Post
What you need to do is insert the install disc, restart your Mac, and as soon as you hear the chime, hold down the C key, and don't release it until you see the spinning gear.
-Select language and click continue.
-Select utilities>disk utility in the menu bar (this takes a few seconds to appear).
-Select the HD at the top of the list on the left.
-Click erase tab.
-Format Mac Os Extended (Journaled).
-Name Macintosh HD.
-Click erase.
-Quit disk utility menu, and continue with installation, or, you can select utilities in the Menu bar again and select restore from Time Machine Backup.
Just went through these steps and got an error message. "POSIX reports: The operation couldn't be completed. Cannot allocate memory.
QUOTE Thanks
crabapple1212

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6string View Post
Please don't cross post.
Anyway, I answered your question in your other thread in Apple Notebooks.
New to Forum...Need Help
Sorry about that. Just in a total panic that I will have to buy another Mac. $2000.00 hurts right now....lol
QUOTE Thanks
6string

This link is for USB drives.
All the links I found are pointing to the same methods, but I couldn't find anything for internal drives.
Partitioning USB hard drives that fail in Disk Utility with 'POSIX' error | MacFixIt - CNET Reviews

Hopefully someone will come along shortly and clear things up.
QUOTE Thanks
crabapple1212

Thank you for your help
QUOTE Thanks
6string

Post back if you find a fix.
QUOTE Thanks
crabapple1212

No fix yet. I have even installed the old hard drive to try and clean it out and install the new OS and still have the same error message. What to do?????
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

Do you have a Tiger or Leopard disc? Try using one of those to do the format.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
6string

If the old HD died, I don't know how you would have success.
If you had a HD that you know to be fine, I can see how that's would rule out the new HD being defective (which is possible).
I am wondering if it is hardware related (connectors, etc.), if it's not just a problem with OS X 10.6 as all the links that I have found point to.
Hopefully as bobtomay asked, if you have either of those, or access to, maybe that will get the ball rolling.
QUOTE Thanks
crabapple1212

I don't have either of the two, just Snow Leopard. I am just about at my wits end and ready to buy a new one. I have tried to solve this problem now for three days working on it about 8-10 hours a day and still nothing. I have been to Google I know 50 times doing research and nothing I have tried has helped.
Thanks again for your time and help both of you.
QUOTE Thanks
crabapple1212

I do have Snow Leopard 10.6.2 and 10.6.3 which I have tried both and no fix.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Runing windows software on a macbook ? | What year macbook pro is this »