New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

Wiping my Powerbook G4 clean

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

sammacbook

sammacbook is on a distinguished road

Im going to put this bluntly,
I've sold my powerbook G4, they are collecting it tomorrow at 4.
I would like to completely wipe it clean so its all fresh and my personal informations safe. The disc drive on the laptop isnt working so i cant insert any CD's. I have both reinstall disc's but cant use them.
I want it to be completely usable for them still.
Any advice? Thanks.
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

Moved to the correct forum. This post has nothing to do with Macworld.

Without a working disk drive you have no way to wipe the hard drive clean unless you remove it and attach it to another machine. If you have another Mac that you can use, you might be able to wipe it clean using Target Disk mode.
QUOTE Thanks
sammacbook

I've sold my powerbook G4, hes collecting it tomorrow at 4pm.
Im looking to wipe it clean, i want to get all my information off it.
I dont know much about macs, but i just want it restored to how if would have been when it was first turned on. I do have the restore disc's but the disc drive doesn't work so this isnt an option. Any advice would be appreciated!
Thanks in advance.
QUOTE Thanks
Buzzard2010

Buzzard2010 is just really niceBuzzard2010 is just really niceBuzzard2010 is just really niceBuzzard2010 is just really niceBuzzard2010 is just really nice
Mac Specs: iMac 21.5" i3 500gb HDD 4gb RAM OSX 10.9.2 - iPhone 5s 16gb

If you have another mac you could put the other into target disk mode and use it's disk drive to format and re-install the OS.
Can't think of another way to do it at the moment.

- Simon

If you have been helped, don't forget to use the Reputation system at the bottom of the users profile.
May 2011
Nominated: March 2011 & April 2011
QUOTE Thanks
sammacbook

Im afraid i dont, ok no worries. I will just delete everything off it and hope for the best. Unless anyone else has any suggestions?
Sam.
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

Do not cross post or double post. You first posted to the wrong forum and you thread was moved and answered. I have combined both your threads.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Mbp 2,2 only work in safe mode | Backlight Problem when logging in »