New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

My MacBook's really slow...

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

paperclip777

paperclip777 is on a distinguished road

Hi guys, first post, hope you can help me out.

I have a white MacBook. Bought it Dec 2009, so it's the new model.

For the past few months, it's really slowed down, I'm seeing the spinning beach ball allot more, and I'm talking about simple tasks, like word processing... copying text, and the ball appears, it's like being back in the late 90's on Windows!

I'm not running a huge amount of programmes, and I've about 20gb hard drive space left. My thrash bin is empty.

What can I do? I'd rather not have to boot disc the whole laptop, as I'd have to re install all my software...

What are my options?

Cheers.
QUOTE Thanks
6string

6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)

Well, 20GB HD space is pretty much running on the bare minimum, so I'm not surprised that you are seeing the spinning beach ball constantly.
I recommend freeing up as much HD space as you can, and then running OnyX to do a bit of a system clean up.

Be sure to get the download the version for the OS you are using.

http://www.macupdate.com/app/mac/11582/onyx

Once you have it, and it has verified your HD, use the automation tab.
QUOTE Thanks
Ritka

Ritka is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Macbook 13" Unibody, 2.4ghz, 2gb Ram, 250GB HD

Agreed, having very minimum hard drive space can greatly slow down your machine. It's best to store all big files on an external HD and free up as much space as you can in your puter.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Dust scratching MBP? | Macbook pro »