Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 18
  1. #1

    Djroonsteruk's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jan 22, 2011
    Location
    yorkshire UK
    Posts
    16
    Specs:
    macbook pro 17 inch 2.9 c2d with anti glare display, 8 gb of ram and 320gb 7200rpm hard drive
    Smile 17 mbp or 15 with high res screen???
    hey guys i currently have a 13 inch macbook pro which i have had a few problems with which were in another thread. but on saturday its going back to the apple store and i am going to get myself an upgrade but im stuck with which to go for. i know i want another macbook because i'm allways moving about. but does anyone know if there is a much between a 17 inch mbp or a 15 with a high res display? i mean i know what the difference is pixel wise but never seen em together in the flesh to know the real difference. processing power isn't massively important to me as this 13 inch one copes well its purely the display here. because for my degree i do lots of programming, image processing and web development which can become very screen hungry. i also do the odd bit of freelance web design work for friends and the odd person who asks so the screen size is rather nessacerry. but if the 15 inch could be gotten away with i would rather that as then i wouldnt have such a mamoth laptop the rest of the time i dont need one . Tried the whole external display thing with this one and its just been nothing but problems if anyone has seen my previous thread lol.
    any comments and opinions would be great

  2. #2

    chscag's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jan 23, 2008
    Location
    Fort Worth, Texas
    Posts
    48,249
    Specs:
    Late 2013 27" iMac, iPad 3, iPhone 6s+, iPhone 6+, 3 iPods, El Capitan
    A 17" MBP is a fairly large and bulky machine to carry around. IMO, the 15" model is best because of performance and size|weight. Also, take into account the difference in price between the two.

    Don't know what issues you had using an external monitor but I've been using one with my 13" MacBook for 3 years and for me it's ideal because it gives me the portability I need. And the 13" subs as a great desktop when using it at home or in the office.

  3. #3

    Djroonsteruk's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jan 22, 2011
    Location
    yorkshire UK
    Posts
    16
    Specs:
    macbook pro 17 inch 2.9 c2d with anti glare display, 8 gb of ram and 320gb 7200rpm hard drive
    Quote Originally Posted by chscag View Post
    Don't know what issues you had using an external monitor .
    long story short. brand new monitor and brand new macbook plugged it in and any resolution above 1024 x 768 on the external display gave the equivalent of red snow all over my screen getting worse as the res goes up. 1080 you can barely see the image on the screen. this is a monitor which is used for my ps3 at 1080 p fine. and tried two other laptops through the dvi and works fine. after buying two adapters, 5 dvi leads and still getting the problem i just gave in lol. tried the macbook on other monitors appeared to be ok but then had the same problem on other monitors lol

  4. #4

    iggibar's Avatar
    Member Since
    Apr 20, 2009
    Location
    Cleveland
    Posts
    4,079
    Specs:
    4.1 Mac Pro. 15" MBP. 13" MBP. 17" PB. PM G5. iPhone 6S+ 64gb Gold. Apple Watch 42mm.
    Quote Originally Posted by Djroonsteruk View Post
    hey guys i currently have a 13 inch macbook pro which i have had a few problems with which were in another thread. but on saturday its going back to the apple store and i am going to get myself an upgrade but im stuck with which to go for. i know i want another macbook because i'm allways moving about. but does anyone know if there is a much between a 17 inch mbp or a 15 with a high res display? i mean i know what the difference is pixel wise but never seen em together in the flesh to know the real difference. processing power isn't massively important to me as this 13 inch one copes well its purely the display here. because for my degree i do lots of programming, image processing and web development which can become very screen hungry. i also do the odd bit of freelance web design work for friends and the odd person who asks so the screen size is rather nessacerry. but if the 15 inch could be gotten away with i would rather that as then i wouldnt have such a mamoth laptop the rest of the time i dont need one . Tried the whole external display thing with this one and its just been nothing but problems if anyone has seen my previous thread lol.
    any comments and opinions would be great
    The difference between the two is basically you get more pixels per square inch on a high res model...meaning your text will show up smaller, while being able to display more stuff on one screen. The apple store sometimes has high-res models to look at. I personally do see the advantage...the 15" with the regular resolution is the best choice in my opinion.

    Quote Originally Posted by Djroonsteruk View Post
    long story short. brand new monitor and brand new macbook plugged it in and any resolution above 1024 x 768 on the external display gave the equivalent of red snow all over my screen getting worse as the res goes up. 1080 you can barely see the image on the screen. this is a monitor which is used for my ps3 at 1080 p fine. and tried two other laptops through the dvi and works fine. after buying two adapters, 5 dvi leads and still getting the problem i just gave in lol. tried the macbook on other monitors appeared to be ok but then had the same problem on other monitors lol
    I got my 15" uMBP connected to my 32" toshiba 1080p...and it looks gorgeous! What kind of display port-hdmi adapter do you have, and where are you getting all of them from??
    “If you are distressed by anything external, the pain is not due to the thing itself but to your own estimate of it; and this you have the power to revoke at any moment.” Marcus Aurelius

  5. #5

    RiDE's Avatar
    Member Since
    Sep 13, 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    3,570
    Specs:
    Mac's
    I have the 15" i7 with the High-Res display... I couldn't be happier. I too debated about getting the 17" for the screen real estate, but as was noted above... it is bulky, those 2" diagonally make a really big difference to me. I went with the 15" and would do it again and again.

  6. #6

    Djroonsteruk's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jan 22, 2011
    Location
    yorkshire UK
    Posts
    16
    Specs:
    macbook pro 17 inch 2.9 c2d with anti glare display, 8 gb of ram and 320gb 7200rpm hard drive
    Quote Originally Posted by idrinorbarsaku View Post
    I got my 15" uMBP connected to my 32" toshiba 1080p...and it looks gorgeous! What kind of display port-hdmi adapter do you have, and where are you getting all of them from??
    i got 2 mini display port to dvi adapters from the apple store. they both have exactly the same problem so i think my port is faulty. Not only do i get this red fuzz, the image becomes really unstable and if i move my macbook even an inch while plugged into the display the picture is lost. but as soon as you turn down the resolution the problems gone and the image is rock solid. but at that point ive got a resolution lower than the laptops native only streached accross a 23" screen. so it kinda defeates the object of a bigger screen.

  7. #7

    Djroonsteruk's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jan 22, 2011
    Location
    yorkshire UK
    Posts
    16
    Specs:
    macbook pro 17 inch 2.9 c2d with anti glare display, 8 gb of ram and 320gb 7200rpm hard drive
    and it makes it hard because bulk realy isnt a problem with me because where ever i take it i'm only 10 minuet walk from my car to a solid surface to put it on. and at uni my lecture hall is about 5 second walk from my other rooms . but yeah i see the point about the more managable package.

    And i know you get more pixels i've just never seen em side by side to see how much more you get to the eye. But ive definatly ruled out the 13 inch for the next one. no choice of matte screens is killing me as i suffer from migraines and trying to focus through the shiny glass all the time makes for a lot of migraines lol.

  8. #8

    Djroonsteruk's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jan 22, 2011
    Location
    yorkshire UK
    Posts
    16
    Specs:
    macbook pro 17 inch 2.9 c2d with anti glare display, 8 gb of ram and 320gb 7200rpm hard drive
    thans for te help guys i think im leaning towards the 15 now because i can see a big laptop getting anoying after a while.

  9. #9

    iggibar's Avatar
    Member Since
    Apr 20, 2009
    Location
    Cleveland
    Posts
    4,079
    Specs:
    4.1 Mac Pro. 15" MBP. 13" MBP. 17" PB. PM G5. iPhone 6S+ 64gb Gold. Apple Watch 42mm.
    Quote Originally Posted by Djroonsteruk View Post
    i got 2 mini display port to dvi adapters from the apple store. they both have exactly the same problem so i think my port is faulty. Not only do i get this red fuzz, the image becomes really unstable and if i move my macbook even an inch while plugged into the display the picture is lost. but as soon as you turn down the resolution the problems gone and the image is rock solid. but at that point ive got a resolution lower than the laptops native only streached accross a 23" screen. so it kinda defeates the object of a bigger screen.
    Have you taken it to the apple store to check it out?

    any resolution above 1024 x 768 on the external display gave the equivalent of red snow
    Though, from this last comment, that's a typical sign of a compatibility problem. Same thing happens when I plug in my g5 into my tv. If the display port was faulty, no resolution would work. Have them check it out. They have their own displays to test it with, even with your own connections compared to theirs.

    Adapting to a DVI-i/d connection is a touchy thing to deal with...signal degradation, transfer way compatibility, frequency rates, dual/single link cables, DRM issues...lot's of things can get in your way. Are you sure your cables are dual link dvi? That seems to be the largest problem with most users who have this problem.

    I also have a projector that has a dvi connection. Normal resolution doesn't work at all(splits the image between red/blue static) at all running from an hdmi to dvi or display port to dvi. But it works perfectly fine with component at the max resolution.

    I wish you luck! I was going to write something else, but I just got yelled at in class....so boring in here!
    “If you are distressed by anything external, the pain is not due to the thing itself but to your own estimate of it; and this you have the power to revoke at any moment.” Marcus Aurelius

  10. #10

    Djroonsteruk's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jan 22, 2011
    Location
    yorkshire UK
    Posts
    16
    Specs:
    macbook pro 17 inch 2.9 c2d with anti glare display, 8 gb of ram and 320gb 7200rpm hard drive
    Lightbulb
    Quote Originally Posted by idrinorbarsaku View Post
    Have you taken it to the apple store to check it out?


    Though, from this last comment, that's a typical sign of a compatibility problem. Same thing happens when I plug in my g5 into my tv. If the display port was faulty, no resolution would work. Have them check it out. They have their own displays to test it with, even with your own connections compared to theirs.

    Adapting to a DVI-i/d connection is a touchy thing to deal with...signal degradation, transfer way compatibility, frequency rates, dual/single link cables, DRM issues...lot's of things can get in your way. Are you sure your cables are dual link dvi? That seems to be the largest problem with most users who have this problem.

    I also have a projector that has a dvi connection. Normal resolution doesn't work at all(splits the image between red/blue static) at all running from an hdmi to dvi or display port to dvi. But it works perfectly fine with component at the max resolution.

    I wish you luck! I was going to write something else, but I just got yelled at in class....so boring in here!
    yes they are dual link and the thing that makes me think its the port is that moving the mackbook (and i mean like shuffling it an inch or too, not even picking it up.) with it plugged into the monitor makes the signal drop and also i thought the cable was bust because if i wiggled the cable The very first time i plugged it into the monitor sometimes the static went away. sometimes i can plug it in and the pictures perfect but one slight movement of the laptop or anything and it blacks out and then comes back with the red fuzz. the adapters work fine in my friends macbook.
    And yeah it is going to the store on saturday and i think i'm gonna be trying to get a refund on it to buy a 17" one

  11. #11

    iggibar's Avatar
    Member Since
    Apr 20, 2009
    Location
    Cleveland
    Posts
    4,079
    Specs:
    4.1 Mac Pro. 15" MBP. 13" MBP. 17" PB. PM G5. iPhone 6S+ 64gb Gold. Apple Watch 42mm.
    Quote Originally Posted by Djroonsteruk View Post
    And yeah it is going to the store on saturday and i think i'm gonna be trying to get a refund on it to buy a 17" one
    Good luck with that!! That would be a nice upgrade
    “If you are distressed by anything external, the pain is not due to the thing itself but to your own estimate of it; and this you have the power to revoke at any moment.” Marcus Aurelius

  12. #12

    Djroonsteruk's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jan 22, 2011
    Location
    yorkshire UK
    Posts
    16
    Specs:
    macbook pro 17 inch 2.9 c2d with anti glare display, 8 gb of ram and 320gb 7200rpm hard drive
    would definatly be especially if i got the anti glare screen cause i suffer with migrains a lot and the glossy is terrable for settin em off lol

  13. #13

    Djroonsteruk's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jan 22, 2011
    Location
    yorkshire UK
    Posts
    16
    Specs:
    macbook pro 17 inch 2.9 c2d with anti glare display, 8 gb of ram and 320gb 7200rpm hard drive
    Have apple been known to offer refunds or credit against new machines with a return ? not sure as this was my first mac so havent dealt with them much.

  14. #14

    chscag's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jan 23, 2008
    Location
    Fort Worth, Texas
    Posts
    48,249
    Specs:
    Late 2013 27" iMac, iPad 3, iPhone 6s+, iPhone 6+, 3 iPods, El Capitan
    Apple has recently instituted a new return policy here in the US where they no longer charge a restocking fee. I'm sure, however, that the return would have to be in "new" condition and with the original packing, etc. Since you live in the UK you should check with your local Apple store as the return policy there may be different.

  15. #15

    Djroonsteruk's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jan 22, 2011
    Location
    yorkshire UK
    Posts
    16
    Specs:
    macbook pro 17 inch 2.9 c2d with anti glare display, 8 gb of ram and 320gb 7200rpm hard drive
    well i went to the apple store the other day and made my mind up. went online and ordered a macbook pro 17 with antiglare, 2.9 c2d and 8 gb of ram its an awesome machine .

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Hi res screen on low res TiBook
    By FatherTime in forum Apple Notebooks
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-09-2012, 07:04 PM
  2. New MacBookPro with hi res screen is low res when projected
    By Chloe Photo in forum Apple Notebooks
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 06-10-2011, 03:14 AM
  3. Gaming in High-Res?
    By Chromus in forum Apple Notebooks
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 05-20-2010, 10:16 PM
  4. Battlefield2 on MBP-what screen res????
    By Bussta in forum OS X - Apps and Games
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 03-16-2008, 06:54 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •