New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

17 mbp or 15 with high res screen???

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Djroonsteruk

Djroonsteruk is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: macbook pro 17 inch 2.9 c2d with anti glare display, 8 gb of ram and 320gb 7200rpm hard drive

hey guys i currently have a 13 inch macbook pro which i have had a few problems with which were in another thread. but on saturday its going back to the apple store and i am going to get myself an upgrade but im stuck with which to go for. i know i want another macbook because i'm allways moving about. but does anyone know if there is a much between a 17 inch mbp or a 15 with a high res display? i mean i know what the difference is pixel wise but never seen em together in the flesh to know the real difference. processing power isn't massively important to me as this 13 inch one copes well its purely the display here. because for my degree i do lots of programming, image processing and web development which can become very screen hungry. i also do the odd bit of freelance web design work for friends and the odd person who asks so the screen size is rather nessacerry. but if the 15 inch could be gotten away with i would rather that as then i wouldnt have such a mamoth laptop the rest of the time i dont need one . Tried the whole external display thing with this one and its just been nothing but problems if anyone has seen my previous thread lol.
any comments and opinions would be great
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

A 17" MBP is a fairly large and bulky machine to carry around. IMO, the 15" model is best because of performance and size|weight. Also, take into account the difference in price between the two.

Don't know what issues you had using an external monitor but I've been using one with my 13" MacBook for 3 years and for me it's ideal because it gives me the portability I need. And the 13" subs as a great desktop when using it at home or in the office.
QUOTE Thanks
Djroonsteruk

Mac Specs: macbook pro 17 inch 2.9 c2d with anti glare display, 8 gb of ram and 320gb 7200rpm hard drive

Quote:
Originally Posted by chscag View Post
Don't know what issues you had using an external monitor .
long story short. brand new monitor and brand new macbook plugged it in and any resolution above 1024 x 768 on the external display gave the equivalent of red snow all over my screen getting worse as the res goes up. 1080 you can barely see the image on the screen. this is a monitor which is used for my ps3 at 1080 p fine. and tried two other laptops through the dvi and works fine. after buying two adapters, 5 dvi leads and still getting the problem i just gave in lol. tried the macbook on other monitors appeared to be ok but then had the same problem on other monitors lol
QUOTE Thanks
iggibar

iggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: Mac Pro 4.1 15" MBP. 13" MBP. 17" PB. Power Mac G5. Galaxy Note 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Djroonsteruk View Post
hey guys i currently have a 13 inch macbook pro which i have had a few problems with which were in another thread. but on saturday its going back to the apple store and i am going to get myself an upgrade but im stuck with which to go for. i know i want another macbook because i'm allways moving about. but does anyone know if there is a much between a 17 inch mbp or a 15 with a high res display? i mean i know what the difference is pixel wise but never seen em together in the flesh to know the real difference. processing power isn't massively important to me as this 13 inch one copes well its purely the display here. because for my degree i do lots of programming, image processing and web development which can become very screen hungry. i also do the odd bit of freelance web design work for friends and the odd person who asks so the screen size is rather nessacerry. but if the 15 inch could be gotten away with i would rather that as then i wouldnt have such a mamoth laptop the rest of the time i dont need one . Tried the whole external display thing with this one and its just been nothing but problems if anyone has seen my previous thread lol.
any comments and opinions would be great
The difference between the two is basically you get more pixels per square inch on a high res model...meaning your text will show up smaller, while being able to display more stuff on one screen. The apple store sometimes has high-res models to look at. I personally do see the advantage...the 15" with the regular resolution is the best choice in my opinion.

Quote:
long story short. brand new monitor and brand new macbook plugged it in and any resolution above 1024 x 768 on the external display gave the equivalent of red snow all over my screen getting worse as the res goes up. 1080 you can barely see the image on the screen. this is a monitor which is used for my ps3 at 1080 p fine. and tried two other laptops through the dvi and works fine. after buying two adapters, 5 dvi leads and still getting the problem i just gave in lol. tried the macbook on other monitors appeared to be ok but then had the same problem on other monitors lol
I got my 15" uMBP connected to my 32" toshiba 1080p...and it looks gorgeous! What kind of display port-hdmi adapter do you have, and where are you getting all of them from??

“If you are distressed by anything external, the pain is not due to the thing itself but to your own estimate of it; and this you have the power to revoke at any moment.” Marcus Aurelius
QUOTE Thanks
RiDE

RiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: Mac's

I have the 15" i7 with the High-Res display... I couldn't be happier. I too debated about getting the 17" for the screen real estate, but as was noted above... it is bulky, those 2" diagonally make a really big difference to me. I went with the 15" and would do it again and again.
QUOTE Thanks
Djroonsteruk

Quote:
Originally Posted by idrinorbarsaku View Post
I got my 15" uMBP connected to my 32" toshiba 1080p...and it looks gorgeous! What kind of display port-hdmi adapter do you have, and where are you getting all of them from??
i got 2 mini display port to dvi adapters from the apple store. they both have exactly the same problem so i think my port is faulty. Not only do i get this red fuzz, the image becomes really unstable and if i move my macbook even an inch while plugged into the display the picture is lost. but as soon as you turn down the resolution the problems gone and the image is rock solid. but at that point ive got a resolution lower than the laptops native only streached accross a 23" screen. so it kinda defeates the object of a bigger screen.
QUOTE Thanks
Djroonsteruk

and it makes it hard because bulk realy isnt a problem with me because where ever i take it i'm only 10 minuet walk from my car to a solid surface to put it on. and at uni my lecture hall is about 5 second walk from my other rooms . but yeah i see the point about the more managable package.

And i know you get more pixels i've just never seen em side by side to see how much more you get to the eye. But ive definatly ruled out the 13 inch for the next one. no choice of matte screens is killing me as i suffer from migraines and trying to focus through the shiny glass all the time makes for a lot of migraines lol.
QUOTE Thanks
Djroonsteruk

thans for te help guys i think im leaning towards the 15 now because i can see a big laptop getting anoying after a while.
QUOTE Thanks
iggibar

iggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
i got 2 mini display port to dvi adapters from the apple store. they both have exactly the same problem so i think my port is faulty. Not only do i get this red fuzz, the image becomes really unstable and if i move my macbook even an inch while plugged into the display the picture is lost. but as soon as you turn down the resolution the problems gone and the image is rock solid. but at that point ive got a resolution lower than the laptops native only streached accross a 23" screen. so it kinda defeates the object of a bigger screen.
Have you taken it to the apple store to check it out?

Quote:
any resolution above 1024 x 768 on the external display gave the equivalent of red snow
Though, from this last comment, that's a typical sign of a compatibility problem. Same thing happens when I plug in my g5 into my tv. If the display port was faulty, no resolution would work. Have them check it out. They have their own displays to test it with, even with your own connections compared to theirs.

Adapting to a DVI-i/d connection is a touchy thing to deal with...signal degradation, transfer way compatibility, frequency rates, dual/single link cables, DRM issues...lot's of things can get in your way. Are you sure your cables are dual link dvi? That seems to be the largest problem with most users who have this problem.

I also have a projector that has a dvi connection. Normal resolution doesn't work at all(splits the image between red/blue static) at all running from an hdmi to dvi or display port to dvi. But it works perfectly fine with component at the max resolution.

I wish you luck! I was going to write something else, but I just got yelled at in class....so boring in here!

“If you are distressed by anything external, the pain is not due to the thing itself but to your own estimate of it; and this you have the power to revoke at any moment.” Marcus Aurelius
QUOTE Thanks
Djroonsteruk

Quote:
Originally Posted by idrinorbarsaku View Post
Have you taken it to the apple store to check it out?

Though, from this last comment, that's a typical sign of a compatibility problem. Same thing happens when I plug in my g5 into my tv. If the display port was faulty, no resolution would work. Have them check it out. They have their own displays to test it with, even with your own connections compared to theirs.

Adapting to a DVI-i/d connection is a touchy thing to deal with...signal degradation, transfer way compatibility, frequency rates, dual/single link cables, DRM issues...lot's of things can get in your way. Are you sure your cables are dual link dvi? That seems to be the largest problem with most users who have this problem.

I also have a projector that has a dvi connection. Normal resolution doesn't work at all(splits the image between red/blue static) at all running from an hdmi to dvi or display port to dvi. But it works perfectly fine with component at the max resolution.

I wish you luck! I was going to write something else, but I just got yelled at in class....so boring in here!
yes they are dual link and the thing that makes me think its the port is that moving the mackbook (and i mean like shuffling it an inch or too, not even picking it up.) with it plugged into the monitor makes the signal drop and also i thought the cable was bust because if i wiggled the cable The very first time i plugged it into the monitor sometimes the static went away. sometimes i can plug it in and the pictures perfect but one slight movement of the laptop or anything and it blacks out and then comes back with the red fuzz. the adapters work fine in my friends macbook.
And yeah it is going to the store on saturday and i think i'm gonna be trying to get a refund on it to buy a 17" one
QUOTE Thanks
iggibar

Quote:
And yeah it is going to the store on saturday and i think i'm gonna be trying to get a refund on it to buy a 17" one
Good luck with that!! That would be a nice upgrade

QUOTE Thanks
Djroonsteruk

would definatly be especially if i got the anti glare screen cause i suffer with migrains a lot and the glossy is terrable for settin em off lol
QUOTE Thanks
Djroonsteruk

Have apple been known to offer refunds or credit against new machines with a return ? not sure as this was my first mac so havent dealt with them much.
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

Apple has recently instituted a new return policy here in the US where they no longer charge a restocking fee. I'm sure, however, that the return would have to be in "new" condition and with the original packing, etc. Since you live in the UK you should check with your local Apple store as the return policy there may be different.
QUOTE Thanks
Djroonsteruk

well i went to the apple store the other day and made my mind up. went online and ordered a macbook pro 17 with antiglare, 2.9 c2d and 8 gb of ram its an awesome machine .
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Some keys not working | MBP Remote Control via Mobile Mouse »