Looking for advice on buying a used Powerbook G4
    Hi, This is my first time posting here and I have a question. I have been a Mac user since 2005. My mom has a new 10" HP netbook 1GB ram, which my dad got her for Christmas. It's running windows 7 and is slow as crap. I helped her set it up and whatnot and I couldn't believe how slow and sluggish it is for a new computer. After doing some research most PC netbooks are like this I guess. Now my mom has used my Mac many times and likes it, so I am thinking about finding her a used powerbook. She doesn't do anything elaborate, just mainly internet browsing, email, and an occasional word processing. I can't spend anymore than $200-$250 tops. I understand buying any computer used is a gamble, but I don't want to get one and have it crash out after a week or something. Are Powerbooks reliable and how long do you guys think they can be expected to last, or what's the average lifetime? I know they have been off the market for around 4-5 years now, so anything I get will be at least that old, but I was looking for either the 12" or 15" aluminum G4 series with at least 1.5 ghz, preferably 1.67 ghz. Do you think a 5 year old powerbook would out perform a 2010 netbook? Any advice or input is appreciated. Thanks

Specs:
    2011 13" MBP 2.3ghz, 8gig ram, OS 10.8.5
    Quote Originally Posted by SteelblueTJ View Post
    I don't want to spend anymore than $200-$250 tops. I understand buying any computer used is a gamble, but I don't want to get one and have it crash out after a week or something. Are Powerbooks reliable and how long do you guys think they can be expected to last, or what's the average lifetime? I know they have been off the market for around 4-5 years now, so anything I get will be at least that old, but I was looking for either the 12" or 15" aluminum G4 series with at least 1.5 ghz, preferably 1.67 ghz. I think a 5 year old powerbook would out perform a netbook. Any advice or input is appreciated. Thanks
    I think that you're really asking for a lot. I think that most of the info you mentioned is doable ($200-$250, 1.5ghz Powerbook G4)...and I'm a BIG proponent of buying used computers.

But like you said...all the Powerbook models out there are at least 5 years old & older...and because laptops are "portable"...almost anything can happen to them. As opposed to a desktop computer that "just sits there" for most of it's life.

How long will a Powerbook last?...what is it's average lifetime?...who knows. How many more miles are you going to get out of your car?...how long are you or I going to live...I sure as heck don't know!

I think that all of your numbers makes sense...you just got to find the deal on a Powerbook that interests you...check it out for it's condition...and then decide to buy or not.

Good luck,

- Nick
    - Too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
    - Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
    - Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
    - Apple Battery Info. Battery

Thread Information