New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

Looking for advice on buying a used Powerbook G4

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

SteelblueTJ

SteelblueTJ is on a distinguished road

Hi, This is my first time posting here and I have a question. I have been a Mac user since 2005. My mom has a new 10" HP netbook 1GB ram, which my dad got her for Christmas. It's running windows 7 and is slow as crap. I helped her set it up and whatnot and I couldn't believe how slow and sluggish it is for a new computer. After doing some research most PC netbooks are like this I guess. Now my mom has used my Mac many times and likes it, so I am thinking about finding her a used powerbook. She doesn't do anything elaborate, just mainly internet browsing, email, and an occasional word processing. I can't spend anymore than $200-$250 tops. I understand buying any computer used is a gamble, but I don't want to get one and have it crash out after a week or something. Are Powerbooks reliable and how long do you guys think they can be expected to last, or what's the average lifetime? I know they have been off the market for around 4-5 years now, so anything I get will be at least that old, but I was looking for either the 12" or 15" aluminum G4 series with at least 1.5 ghz, preferably 1.67 ghz. Do you think a 5 year old powerbook would out perform a 2010 netbook? Any advice or input is appreciated. Thanks
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelblueTJ View Post
I don't want to spend anymore than $200-$250 tops. I understand buying any computer used is a gamble, but I don't want to get one and have it crash out after a week or something. Are Powerbooks reliable and how long do you guys think they can be expected to last, or what's the average lifetime? I know they have been off the market for around 4-5 years now, so anything I get will be at least that old, but I was looking for either the 12" or 15" aluminum G4 series with at least 1.5 ghz, preferably 1.67 ghz. I think a 5 year old powerbook would out perform a netbook. Any advice or input is appreciated. Thanks
I think that you're really asking for a lot. I think that most of the info you mentioned is doable ($200-$250, 1.5ghz Powerbook G4)...and I'm a BIG proponent of buying used computers.

But like you said...all the Powerbook models out there are at least 5 years old & older...and because laptops are "portable"...almost anything can happen to them. As opposed to a desktop computer that "just sits there" for most of it's life.

How long will a Powerbook last?...what is it's average lifetime?...who knows. How many more miles are you going to get out of your car?...how long are you or I going to live...I sure as heck don't know!

I think that all of your numbers makes sense...you just got to find the deal on a Powerbook that interests you...check it out for it's condition...and then decide to buy or not.

Good luck,

- Nick

- Computer slow, too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Safari Problem on MacBook | Macbook Pro battery indicator not working? »