New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

logic board

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

matty78

matty78 is on a distinguished road

Hello I have 2006 15inc 2.2GHz core 2/2GB/128MB MACbook pro that I dropped and cracked the logic board. So what I would like to know is how to ID what board I need and where I can buy a used one. Brand new they are way to much. Also I would like to know if I can down grade the board to save $$$ thanks
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by matty78 View Post
Hello I have 2006 15inc 2.2GHz core 2/2GB/128MB MACbook pro that I dropped and cracked the logic board. So what I would like to know is how to ID what board I need and where I can buy a used one. Brand new they are way to much. Also I would like to know if I can down grade the board to save $$$ thanks
Go to:

iFixit: The free repair manual

...this site should be able to help you with the logic board info you need (model or part #). Buying a used one is probably not going to be easy or cheap...you might get lucky with e-Bay (you just got to be sure you're getting the correct logic board).

If you try buying a used logic board from an online retailer...BELIEVE me...they know how much new ones sell for...and thus you won't save much money.

As far as downgrading...whoa...even if you could...this is just going to make things a lot more complex. Just finding the correct replacement logic board is tough enough.

The last & most important thing to consider is...a 2006 MBP is not really worth as much as you may think. In fact...a new or used replacement logic board may cost as much as 75% or more of the value of this MBP...and it may even exceed it's value. Unless you can find a used logic board for a very good price...replacing the logic board on a 4+ year-old Apple laptop probably isn't a financially good idea.

I realized that you may not be able to purchase a new laptop...but if you were to spend $400-$600 replacing the logic board on your current MBP...that same money would go a long way in purchasing another used MBP.

Just some stuff to consider,

- Nick

- Computer slow, too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
RustProofCorn

RustProofCorn has a spectacular aura about

With the 400 to 600 mentioned I wonder how much apple would put torwards trade in value to that machine. Even if you get into the 600 to 800 range with The trade in value you might only be a few hundred shy of a new 13 inch mbp.
QUOTE Thanks
matty78

OK thanks that's what I was thinking as well. But I got the MAC for free because of the damage that's why I was considering repairing. But like you said it is hard to find the correct board as I have no experience at all with MACS. my EMC NO: 2136 if this helps could you please tell me the board I need. I really appreciate all your help and thanks in advance
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by RustProofCorn View Post
With the 400 to 600 mentioned I wonder how much apple would put torwards trade in value to that machine. Even if you get into the 600 to 800 range with The trade in value you might only be a few hundred shy of a new 13 inch mbp.
What "trade in value"...as far as I know...Apple isn't like a used car dealer where they take an old computer in on trade. And even if they did...a 4 year-old laptop computer with a busted logic board is not worth very much!

But I agree...if the OP took the $400 to $600 spent repairing the old computer + (maybe $200) from selling the broken computer...that would be $600-$800 towards a new or newer computer.

- Nick

- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

double post.

QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

Quote:
OK thanks that's what I was thinking as well. But I got the MAC for free because of the damage that's why I was considering repairing. But like you said it is hard to find the correct board as I have no experience at all with MACS. my EMC NO: 2136 if this helps could you please tell me the board I need. I really appreciate all your help and thanks in advance
Did you go to the link I provided above to identify what board you need?

If you cannot do this...you probably shouldn't be thinking about doing a logic board swap.

It's sort of like saying...if you cannot change a flat tire on a car...someone shouldn't be thinking about pulling & replacing the engine!

- Nick

QUOTE Thanks
matty78

Ok thanks I didn't notice the link at first. I was able to find a board for $350 which I think is a good price seeing as how a used MBP is at least double that. So thanks for all your help. Oh I should mention that my wife works in IT and a co-worker of hers is MAC certified and will be doing the repair. MACS are crazy hard to understand just peeling of the case is hard. Oh well still worth it in the end.
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

Quote:
Ok thanks I didn't notice the link at first. I was able to find a board for $350 which I think is a good price seeing as how a used MBP is at least double that. So thanks for all your help. Oh I should mention that my wife works in IT and a co-worker of hers is MAC certified and will be doing the repair. MACS are crazy hard to understand just peeling of the case is hard. Oh well still worth it in the end.
$350 seems to be a doable price for a replacement logic board...and if you have someone who can do the repair...that's great as well!

Good luck,

- Nick

QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« RAM upgrade in non-unibody 17" to 8Gb 800mhz? | Just bought my first Macbook »