CD drive questions
    CD drive questions
    I've almost had my Macbook for 4 years now (my first Mac) and I LOVE how the thing keeps going! The battery still lasts for quite awhile, and my operating system is about as fast as new, and no virus's! We got my daughter a new pc for Christmas, and it already has a virus!

However the thing is physically falling apart. My ethernet connection died a long time ago. The casing is falling apart. The screen is scratched. And, the CD rom drive has stopped working. From a little research that seems to be common. No biggie, I really only need something to read and write cd's for storage. I have no problem buying an external. ( I don't think I'm computer adept enough to repair it on my own, and I think the external would be the cheaper fix)

Can you use any external drive with a Mac? Is there something to look for. Any ballpark idea of what it would cost if I took my Macbook into Apple to be repaired?

Thanks
    Lori

CD drive questions
    Specs:
    20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.
    Yes you can use an external drive, no problem at all, and it certainly will be cheaper than taking it to Apple. They will have a minimum charge that will most likely be higher than the price of an external burner, which can be picked up for very little these days.
    I personally would aim for one with a Firewire interface, providing your Mac has Firewire, as it's more stable, but USB2 works too.
    Try my custom Mac Forums Search Engine: Mac Forums Google Search

Please use the reputation system if you consider any help given useful (it's the little ✓/✘ on the left <---)

CD drive questions
    I personally would aim for one with a Firewire interface, providing your Mac has Firewire, as it's more stable, but USB2 works too.[/QUOTE]

LOL, I think my Firewire connection is toast too! I have a external HD that had both the USB and Firewire and I can only connect via USB now.

I am bound and determined to see how long I can go with the computer. It's been so good to me, I can work around it's aging!

CD drive questions
    Specs:
    20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.
    Cool. USB 2 it is then. Anyway, once you get one it will show up as an option in a drop down menu when you burn discs.

I do have to question whether it's really worth it given the Macs condition, but understand the desire to keep it going.
    Try my custom Mac Forums Search Engine: Mac Forums Google Search

Please use the reputation system if you consider any help given useful (it's the little ✓/✘ on the left <---)

Thread Information