New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

My G4 smells like burnt rubber!

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

animematt

animematt is on a distinguished road

So I have a G4 macbook that I bought in 2004 and its having a big issue! I stepped away for all of 10 sec and when I came back the macs fan went into overdrive and the screen went dark....and then I started to smell burnt rubber. I turned off the book and gave it a few min to cool down, now evertime I turn on the macbook the fan just kicks on into overdrive and I hear nothing else no harddrive or processor in it. So I am hoping that anyone can give any ideas to what this could possibly be. Thanks for looking!
QUOTE Thanks
MacDude121

MacDude121 is a glorious beacon of lightMacDude121 is a glorious beacon of lightMacDude121 is a glorious beacon of lightMacDude121 is a glorious beacon of lightMacDude121 is a glorious beacon of lightMacDude121 is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: Black MacBook 2.2GHz C2D, 4GB Ram - iMac G4 700MHz, 512MB Ram

There's no G4 MacBook, it sounds like you have an iBook G4. Also, to me it sounds like the logic board or some other internal component fried. Odds also are, that it will cost more to fix than the computer is worth.
QUOTE Thanks
Kevriano

Kevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.

G4 iBooks are prone to logic board failure, and this is the main symptom.
It's fixable. Google "iBook G4 solder fix".

Try my custom Mac Forums Search Engine: Mac Forums Google Search

Please use the reputation system if you consider any help given useful (it's the little ✓/✘ on the left <---)

QUOTE Thanks
animematt

animematt is on a distinguished road

It's a G4 Powerbook Pro, sorry-- still think it's the logic board? Does it help to say that the hinge for the screen has been loose and had fallen flat when it happened? I know it's not just the screen that's having problems because, like I said, only the fan will turn on. I know it's an old laptop-- it's not worth anything-- but it has one excell spreadsheet on it that I haven't backed up and would really like to recover. Any suggestions?
QUOTE Thanks
Kevriano

Kevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.

If you have access to another Mac you may be able to get to it via Target disc mode IF it will power up.
It could well still be the logic board, yes.

Try my custom Mac Forums Search Engine: Mac Forums Google Search

Please use the reputation system if you consider any help given useful (it's the little ✓/✘ on the left <---)

QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by animematt View Post
It's a G4 Powerbook Pro, sorry--
Still not 100% correct...there was no such thing as a "G4 Powerbook Pro"...it's simply a G4 Powerbook.

- Nick

- Too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Battery Calibration isnt changing anything!! | CD drive questions »