New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

I7 processor upgrade

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

AbdulaOblongata

AbdulaOblongata is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Mackbook Pro 17";3.06 ghz ntel core 2 duo; 8 gb ddr3; nvidia 9600m GT; OSx 10.6.7

Hi,
I have a mbp, 2009 model, with a 3.06 GHz Intel core 2 duo processor and I was interested in upgrading to the I7 processor chip that comes in the new models. I know that it requires solder work but that wont be a problem. Does anyone know if the I7 processor is compatible with the current mobo that I have installed. I believe this is the motherboard that is installed MacBook Pro 15" Unibody (Mid 2009) 2.66 GHz Logic Board (661-5212) - iFixit
thanks,
AO
QUOTE Thanks
CrimsonRequiem

CrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to all
Mac Specs: MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB

How is soldering not a problem? There are thousands of pins...>_>" Not to mention your warranty would be voided.

死神はリンゴしか食べない。
QUOTE Thanks
AbdulaOblongata

Mac Specs: Mackbook Pro 17";3.06 ghz ntel core 2 duo; 8 gb ddr3; nvidia 9600m GT; OSx 10.6.7

i work on c130 avionics and electronics. soldering circuit boards and and pins is kind of my job. as far as the warranty, its pretty much worthless to me anyway. I have about 5k insurance specifically on my computer which covers everything from spills to software issues to throwing it against a wall. Thanks for your concern but I don't want to know the reasons not to try it, I just want to know if it will be compatible.
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

It's very likely that even if you should successfully surface mount the new CPU after removing the old one, that it will not be compatible with the current logic board you have. Supporting chipset is different for one thing. You can go to iFixit: The free repair manual and compare the two by looking up their take apart instructions for both machines.
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

Aside from the chipset, am pretty sure the pin count is different also. But, I have not researched the mobile chips in that much detail.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
AbdulaOblongata

ok i'll check that out. thanks for the input
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Will a13.3" Macbook Pro A1278 run Final cut comfortably | No Sound Output Powerbook G4 »