New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

Macbook pro kernel panic

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

kbossert

kbossert is on a distinguished road

I have a late 2007 MBP 2.2ghz 2gigs of ram, I got the kernel panic message about a week ago after downloading a word document for school. I then followed the online guides of how to fix it to no avail. After my computer gets the "you must restart now" screen I shut it down remove the ram and reinstall it. After the ram is reinstalled the computer will start up normally and run for several minutes then get the restart screen again. I have installed other ram with the same results. I made another partition on my hard drive in an attempt to install osx on the other partition. The install was going flawlessly and was around 50% complete when the restart screen stopped it. I have reset the pram and verified the disk permissions and verified the disk. What should be my next step? My warranty ended 6 months ago so I am attempting to repair this on my own.

Thanks for any help,
Kellen
QUOTE Thanks
kbossert

ps I am unsure if this is the proper place for this question, feel free to move it to the proper place if you see fit.

Kellen
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

This is the right forum and Welcome.

The next time your MBP goes into kernel panic, copy the contents from the crash log and post it here for us to look at. Perhaps we can figure something out.
QUOTE Thanks
kbossert

Here is the log from the failure.

Thanks for the help,
Kellen
Attached Files
File Type: doc Interval Since Last Panic Report.doc (64.5 KB, 14 views)
QUOTE Thanks
kbossert

Here is another log where it shutdown almost instantly after startup. The last log is from the failure during the attempted osx install and this was normal startup and usage.

Thanks,
Kellen
Attached Files
File Type: doc Interval Since Last Panic Report2.doc (69.0 KB, 3 views)
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute

I just looked over both panic report documents. The system is going into immediate panic which leads me to believe it's a hardware failure rather than being caused by software.

However, I would like you to try this first to make sure: Let's try to startup in Safe mode: Reboot and as soon as you hear the chime, press and hold down the Shift key. Keep holding until the Apple appears.

If the machine panics even from Safe mode, we can eliminate software or drivers as a cause.

Also, in the meantime download a memory check program. MemTest OS X The panic reports are inconclusive because the registers are dumping as soon as the system starts to load. It could be bad memory but of that, I'm not sure.

Post back results of starting in Safe mode.
QUOTE Thanks
kbossert

I did as you suggested and attempted to boot the mac in safe mode and while it ran for some time it did after about 30 minutes get the message. After I removed the ram and reinstalled it I ran the memory check program and the computer didnt freeze up during the check. Right after the computer finished running the memory check and it said that everything was ok, I moved the cursor and right away the kernel panic message scrolled down the screen. Are there other things that I can do to narrow down the problem?

Thank you for the assistance,
Kellen
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

Not much else we can try... You can try replacing the memory modules with new ones just in case the memory is intermittent. Buy the memory from a reseller who offers a refund on returns. This way if it turns out the original memory is OK, you can return the new modules and get your money back.

The only other thing that I can think of which will send the machine into panic so quickly is a bad or faulty logic board.
QUOTE Thanks
kbossert

I had some other ram laying around and tried them and this is the report from those sticks of ram. Tomorrow I am going to be seeing my brother and I am going to swap my ram with his (he has a black macbook) and see if it will work
Attached Files
File Type: doc Interval Since Last Panic Report3.doc (67.5 KB, 1 views)
QUOTE Thanks
kbossert

I have tried a different set of ram in my computer with no change after this failure i assumed it was a faulty logic board as suggested. I let the laptop sit with ram removed for several days and today just reinstalled the factory ram in an attempt to try the computer one last time. I have been using the computer for the last three hours with no ill effects. Could my logic board still be faulty but let my computer run for hours? My mac has seemed slower and I only have 20 gigs left on my HD could this be causing any problems?

Thanks,
Kellen
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

Just keep your fingers crossed.... Declining hard drive space will not cause kernel panics. But before you give up and have it repaired try one more thing:

The next time it goes into KP, shut it down. Open it up on the bottom, remove the battery first and then remove the hard drive from the machine but leave the memory modules intact. Replace the battery, close the machine up. Now boot it with your install DVD and let it run and run and run. Let's see if it goes into KP or not.

The reason to try this is just in case the hard drive somehow is causing the KPs. I've seen that happen before. Let us know.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« fixed but not really - help! | Can the hard drive and RAM be upgraded on the 11" MB Air after purchase? »