New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

802.11g not n

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

exile

exile is on a distinguished road

I have a White Macbook 13'' 2009 Intel Core Duo 2. Running OS X 10.6.6

I'm using a HG556A Wireless Router which definitely supports 802.11n..

When I hold alt/option and click on my airport it says the PHY mode is 802.11g

Can anyone please tell me why and/or what I can do to change this to 802.11n

Many thanks in advance!!
QUOTE Thanks
tigerbomb8

tigerbomb8 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: ................................ OLD: MBP 13" Mid 09 .......... NEW: MBP 13" Mid 12 ..........

same here
QUOTE Thanks
mrplow

mrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i7 (2011) 10.10, iPhone6, iPad Air, AppleTV2

I can't find much info about the HG556a. But I have found the user guide https://broadband.vodafone.ie/downlo...viceManual.pdf

Can't see any reference to 802.11n - unless this is a different router to yours that just happens to be named the same. Who's the manufacturer? The manual is for one made by Huawei

This is the closest I can find to a spec - only mentions 802.11b & g:
Huawei HG556a 300M 3G wireless router:
International brands Vodafone (Vodafone) customized products company
Built ADSL2 (for ADSL broadband, plug devices directly to the telephone line), 3 USB interface (supports USB2.0 standard), support for 3G wireless router. That is, ordinary ADSL lines and dual-use equipment, 3G routers, CPU uses Broadcom BCM6358, 300MHZ processor, FLASH for the 16M, 64M large memory.

Item Specification:
An external fixed omni-directional antenna

The transmission distance: Furthest indoor 100 meters, outdoor 300 meters far

Support: IEEE 802.11g, IEEE 802.11b, IEEE 802.3, IEEE 802.3u, IEEE 802.3x, CSMA / CA, CSMA / CD, TCP / IP, DHCP, ICMP, NAT, PPPoE

LAN port: 4 10/100M adaptive RJ45 Port

WAN port: 1 10/100M adaptive RJ45 Port

Frequency Range: 2.4 ~ 2.4835GHz

11g: 54/48/36/24/18/12/9/6M

11b: 11/5.5/2/1M

Data modulation: BPSK, QPSK, CCK and OFDM (BPSK/QPSK/16-QAM / 64-QAM

RF Power: 17dBm

External power adapter output: 9V ~ 50Hz 0.8A

Package Including:
Huawei HG556a X 1
Power adapter X 1
ADSL Micro-Filter X 1
Telephone Cable X 1
PC/LAN Cable X 1
Base X 1

External hard disk acquisition addict - but admitting the problem is the first step to a robust backup

Please use the reputation system if you think you've been helped - top right of this post
QUOTE Thanks
quin

quin will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: MBP 13, 2.4, 8GB, 120GB SSD OCZ

Mine says he same MBP 13". PHY Mode 802.11g, transmit rate 54.

Found the specs on Apple site:
Communications
AirPort Extreme Wi-Fi wireless networking2 (based on IEEE 802.11n specification); IEEE 802.11a/b/g compatible
Bluetooth 2.1 + EDR (Enhanced Data Rate) wireless technology
10/100/1000BASE-T Gigabit Ethernet (RJ-45 connector)
QUOTE Thanks
exile

exile is on a distinguished road

Thanks for your reply mrplow.. Yup thats the router but mine must be an upraded version
because I've looked at the Box Statisitics and it definitely says 802.11b+g+n..
QUOTE Thanks
mrplow

mrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond repute

In that case just use that guide to log into the router and change the network type to g and n or just n. The default will just be b/g

External hard disk acquisition addict - but admitting the problem is the first step to a robust backup

Please use the reputation system if you think you've been helped - top right of this post
QUOTE Thanks
mrplow

Quote:
Originally Posted by quin View Post
Mine says he same MBP 13". PHY Mode 802.11g, transmit rate 54.

Found the specs on Apple site:
Communications
AirPort Extreme Wi-Fi wireless networking2 (based on IEEE 802.11n specification); IEEE 802.11a/b/g compatible
Bluetooth 2.1 + EDR (Enhanced Data Rate) wireless technology
10/100/1000BASE-T Gigabit Ethernet (RJ-45 connector)
Those are the MacBook specs. That's not the issue, I'm sure the MacBook is n capable it's just that the router isn't transmitting an n network at the moment

QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Student needs recommendations: MB or MBP? | The Elusive Solution to CPU Noise »