Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 20
  1. #1


    Member Since
    Jan 19, 2011
    Posts
    4
    Question I'm thinking of buying iBook from 2001, good idea?
    I was given the offer of $175 dollars and I thought it was a good price. I just want a starter laptop that will do me for three years while in school. I will be doing a lot of video editing with sound. It is coming with Microsoft Office 2008 and a video editing software. I know it's not perfect, but is it worth it for right now? As soon as I get a real job, I plan on buying a new Mac laptop, so this isn't a set thing. I just need some advice on what to do...

  2. #2

    pigoo3's Avatar
    Member Since
    May 20, 2008
    Location
    U.S.
    Posts
    35,124
    Specs:
    2011 13" MBP 2.3ghz, 8gig ram, OS 10.8.5
    Quote Originally Posted by anna_banana View Post
    I was given the offer of $175 dollars and I thought it was a good price. I just want a starter laptop that will do me for three years while in school. I will be doing a lot of video editing with sound. It is coming with Microsoft Office 2008 and a video editing software. I know it's not perfect, but is it worth it for right now? As soon as I get a real job, I plan on buying a new Mac laptop, so this isn't a set thing. I just need some advice on what to do...
    An iBook from 2001 is:

    - no where near worth $175 bucks
    - it will in no way be able to do what you want it to do
    - or last you 3 years in school

    This is a 10 year-old laptop...and if you did get it & used it in school...it would be 13 years old. That is an old, old, old computer. You really need something that's at least no older than 5-6 years old.

    Even if this computer could do what you want it to...the main point is $175 is too much for it.

    Just my humble opinion,

    - Nick
    - Too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
    - Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
    - Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
    - Apple Battery Info. Battery

  3. #3


    Member Since
    Jan 19, 2011
    Posts
    4
    Quote Originally Posted by pigoo3 View Post
    An iBook from 2001 is:

    - no where near worth $175 bucks
    - it will in no way be able to do what you want it to do
    - or last you 3 years in school

    This is a 10 year-old laptop...and if you did get it & used it in school...it would be 13 years old. That is an old, old, old computer. You really need something that's at least no older than 5-6 years old.

    Even if this computer could do what you want it to...the main point is $175 is too much for it.

    Just my humble opinion,

    - Nick
    what would be a reasonable price for it?

  4. #4

    pigoo3's Avatar
    Member Since
    May 20, 2008
    Location
    U.S.
    Posts
    35,124
    Specs:
    2011 13" MBP 2.3ghz, 8gig ram, OS 10.8.5
    Quote Originally Posted by anna_banana View Post
    what would be a reasonable price for it?
    I would need to know:

    - what is the cpu speed
    - what size display
    - how much ram
    - how big is the HD
    - does the battery hold a charge
    - does it come with the power adapter
    - what OS is on it

    But roughly speaking (depending on exactly what model it is & the exact specs)...I wouldn't pay more than $20-$50 bucks for it.

    - Nick
    - Too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
    - Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
    - Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
    - Apple Battery Info. Battery

  5. #5


    Member Since
    Jan 19, 2011
    Posts
    4
    Quote Originally Posted by pigoo3 View Post
    I would need to know:

    - what is the cpu speed
    - what size display
    - how much ram
    - how big is the HD
    - does the battery hold a charge
    - does it come with the power adapter
    - what OS is on it

    But roughly speaking (depending on exactly what model it is & the exact specs)...I wouldn't pay more than $20-$50 bucks for it.

    - Nick
    its a 500 MHz powerPC G3 640MB SDRam display may be 13" HD is 9.24 GB, the battery can hold a charge for about 30 to 45 mins and it comes with the power cable. and it has OS X 10.4.11

  6. #6

    pigoo3's Avatar
    Member Since
    May 20, 2008
    Location
    U.S.
    Posts
    35,124
    Specs:
    2011 13" MBP 2.3ghz, 8gig ram, OS 10.8.5
    Quote Originally Posted by anna_banana View Post
    its a 500 MHz powerPC G3 640MB SDRam display may be 13" HD is 9.24 GB, the battery can hold a charge for about 30 to 45 mins and it comes with the power cable. and it has OS X 10.4.11
    Thanks for the info...sounds pretty much what I was expecting. If you keep your needs modest:

    - light internet surfing
    - no You Tube videos
    - e-mail
    - using MS Office 2008 (an older version would probably be better/faster)
    - mp3's will be ok
    - video editing...I really doubt it. If you're using really old software (maybe)...but don't even think of running any modern video editing software.

    Like I said...$175 is way too much for this. I bought one like it a while ago for $40 bucks. I would say it's worth no more than $75.

    To add another example. I bought a Powerbook G4, 867mhz, built-in airport & bluetooth, 640 gig ram, 20 gig hard drive (this is a 2003 computer) for $80.

    Good luck,

    - Nick
    - Too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
    - Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
    - Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
    - Apple Battery Info. Battery

  7. #7


    Member Since
    Jan 19, 2011
    Posts
    4
    Quote Originally Posted by pigoo3 View Post
    Thanks for the info...sounds pretty much what I was expecting. If you keep your needs modest:

    - light internet surfing
    - no You Tube videos
    - e-mail
    - using MS Office 2008 (an older version would probably be better/faster)
    - mp3's will be ok
    - video editing...I really doubt it. If you're using really old software (maybe)...but don't even think of running any modern video editing software.

    Like I said...$175 is way too much for this. I bought one like it a while ago for $40 bucks. I would say it's worth no more than $75.

    To add another example. I bought a Powerbook G4, 867mhz, built-in airport & bluetooth, 640 gig ram, 20 gig hard drive (this is a 2003 computer) for $80.

    Good luck,

    - Nick
    well thanks for the help. if i could afford a macbook i would, that's why i was looking at this...

  8. #8

    pigoo3's Avatar
    Member Since
    May 20, 2008
    Location
    U.S.
    Posts
    35,124
    Specs:
    2011 13" MBP 2.3ghz, 8gig ram, OS 10.8.5
    Quote Originally Posted by anna_banana View Post
    well thanks for the help. if i could afford a macbook i would, that's why i was looking at this...
    Guess what???...there's a lot of Macintosh laptop models between this 2001 iBook and a much newer MacBook.

    If $175 is the maximum you have to spend...then that's the way it is. But with only $175...you at least want to get as much computer as possible! Paying $175 for a 2001 iBook that's probably worth $75 or less wouldn't be a good purchase.

    Keep looking for something a little bit newer...and a little bit better...so you get the most for your $175.

    - Nick
    - Too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
    - Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
    - Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
    - Apple Battery Info. Battery

  9. #9

    MacDude121's Avatar
    Member Since
    Sep 22, 2010
    Posts
    1,426
    Specs:
    Black MacBook 2.2GHz C2D, 4GB Ram - iMac G4 700MHz, 512MB Ram
    If you're going to use this at school, I'd really try for a Macbook, or one of the fastest PowerBooks at least. I'm currently using an iBook G4 as my main computer, and it's starting to just not cut it. I can't even play a moderately simple flash game without slowdown anymore. Granted if I got more ram it would probably run better and faster, but you're gonna need something that's future proof, and the ever aging Power PC G3's, G4's, and G5's definitely are not. Just my opinion. Also, if money is a problem, try looking at apple's refurbished machines instead of the brand new ones.

    -Good Luck

  10. #10

    pigoo3's Avatar
    Member Since
    May 20, 2008
    Location
    U.S.
    Posts
    35,124
    Specs:
    2011 13" MBP 2.3ghz, 8gig ram, OS 10.8.5
    Quote Originally Posted by MacDude121 View Post
    I'm currently using an iBook G4 as my main computer, and it's starting to just not cut it.
    And you actually have a pretty nice & fast 1.33ghz iBook G4.

    The computer the OP is talking about is only 500mhz...just imagine how slow that would be compared to your 1.33ghz.

    - Nick
    - Too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
    - Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
    - Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
    - Apple Battery Info. Battery

  11. #11

    MacDude121's Avatar
    Member Since
    Sep 22, 2010
    Posts
    1,426
    Specs:
    Black MacBook 2.2GHz C2D, 4GB Ram - iMac G4 700MHz, 512MB Ram
    Quote Originally Posted by pigoo3 View Post
    And you actually have a pretty nice & fast 1.33ghz iBook G4.

    The computer the OP is talking about is only 500mhz...just imagine how slow that would be compared to your 1.33ghz.

    - Nick
    I know. 500MHz is almost nothing compared to today's computers. As for my iBook, it's no speed demon, and I'm a fairly heavy computer user. I'm starting to lose my patience when it comes to the lagging of videos and games as well. Oh well, it gets the job done for now anyway.

  12. #12

    pigoo3's Avatar
    Member Since
    May 20, 2008
    Location
    U.S.
    Posts
    35,124
    Specs:
    2011 13" MBP 2.3ghz, 8gig ram, OS 10.8.5
    Quote Originally Posted by MacDude121 View Post
    I know. 500MHz is almost nothing compared to today's computers. As for my iBook, it's no speed demon, and I'm a fairly heavy computer user. I'm starting to lose my patience when it comes to the lagging of videos and games as well. Oh well, it gets the job done for now anyway.
    Actually I forgot that you have a 500mhz iMac...so you do have something to compare your 1.33ghz iBook to.

    - Nick
    - Too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
    - Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
    - Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
    - Apple Battery Info. Battery

  13. #13

    MacDude121's Avatar
    Member Since
    Sep 22, 2010
    Posts
    1,426
    Specs:
    Black MacBook 2.2GHz C2D, 4GB Ram - iMac G4 700MHz, 512MB Ram
    Quote Originally Posted by pigoo3 View Post
    Actually I forgot that you have a 500mhz iMac...so you do have something to compare your 1.33ghz iBook to.

    - Nick
    Kinda hard to do a comparison when it can't get on the internet:

    http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/air...-internet.html

    But as far as application launching and start up/shut down times go, it's no competition to the iBook.

  14. #14

    pigoo3's Avatar
    Member Since
    May 20, 2008
    Location
    U.S.
    Posts
    35,124
    Specs:
    2011 13" MBP 2.3ghz, 8gig ram, OS 10.8.5
    Quote Originally Posted by MacDude121 View Post
    Kinda hard to do a comparison when it can't get on the internet:

    http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/air...-internet.html

    But as far as application launching and start up/shut down times go, it's no competition to the iBook.
    Yeah...I wasn't really thinking about the internet...I was thinking running apps. like the OP referenced in their posts.

    - Nick
    - Too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
    - Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
    - Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
    - Apple Battery Info. Battery

  15. #15

    MacDude121's Avatar
    Member Since
    Sep 22, 2010
    Posts
    1,426
    Specs:
    Black MacBook 2.2GHz C2D, 4GB Ram - iMac G4 700MHz, 512MB Ram
    Quote Originally Posted by pigoo3 View Post
    Yeah...I wasn't really thinking about the internet...I was thinking running apps. like the OP referenced in their posts.

    - Nick
    Yeah. Well like I said, the applications are no competition either. But then again, the applications and OS that are on the G3 are older and therefore "lighter" and probably better configured for the computer.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Lion OSX on Macbook 2.0Ghz - good idea or bad idea?
    By OM2 in forum OS X - Operating System
    Replies: 29
    Last Post: 05-24-2012, 07:32 PM
  2. Buying a brand new but dated iMac, good or bad idea?
    By Make_It_Rayne in forum Apple Desktops
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 12-27-2010, 02:32 AM
  3. External Monitor - Is Buying a 32" 1080p LCD TV a good idea?
    By Silver Bullet in forum Other Hardware and Peripherals
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 12-26-2009, 10:27 AM
  4. Thinking of buying iSight for my iBook
    By iRock in forum Apple Notebooks
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 02-19-2006, 06:27 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •