New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

CD drive

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

greggchap

greggchap is on a distinguished road

HI - My 2 year old Mac book pro will not play published music cd's. It draws them in makes noises for a while then spits them out. I cleaned the drive with compressed gas, but did not help.
please give advice.
QUOTE Thanks
EvenStranger

EvenStranger is just really niceEvenStranger is just really niceEvenStranger is just really niceEvenStranger is just really niceEvenStranger is just really nice
Mac Specs: Currently 13" Late 2010 MBA, 4GB/128GB; Early 2011 13" MBP, dual core i7 2.7ghz, 4gb ram, 500gb hd

Sounds like it's time to replace the optical drive. MCE Technology sells optical drive replacements for $139, or you can have them install it for you for a shipping and service fee. If hard drives are the most common repairs in most Mac portables, the optical drive is second. Thankfully, the repair is fairly simple and there are free guides to replacing them on iFixit.com.
QUOTE Thanks
greggchap

greggchap is on a distinguished road

Would it be optical drive if it reads cd' other than music cd's?
QUOTE Thanks
EvenStranger

EvenStranger is just really niceEvenStranger is just really niceEvenStranger is just really niceEvenStranger is just really niceEvenStranger is just really nice
Mac Specs: Currently 13" Late 2010 MBA, 4GB/128GB; Early 2011 13" MBP, dual core i7 2.7ghz, 4gb ram, 500gb hd

Not having seen the drive, obviously, all I can give you is my best guess. The laser operates at different frequencies depending on media. It's certainly possible the laser would work for some media at one frequency and not on another at a different frequency. This could be due to power issues, laser diffusion, dirty mirrors... but if compressed air didn't blow dust around enough to make it read commercially pressed music CDs, I wouldn't waste a lot of time on it. The problem most likely won't get better, and odds are will get worse. BTW, the drives I suggested are much faster than the stock optical that came with the computer. There are lots of vendors online though. MCE is just one I've used in the past and liked.
QUOTE Thanks
pershingd

pershingd is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro, 2.3 Ghz, 4 gb RAM

Before you spend any money, try resetting the SMC. I had a similar problem with flaky drive performance and was looking for a new drive when I stumbled across a reference to it. I figured it couldn't hurt so I tried it and now my drive is working fine.

Intel-based Macs: Resetting the System Management Controller (SMC)
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Asking opinion on iBook quirk? | slow connection speed »