Specs:
    Macbook 2GHz Intel Core Duo
    MagSafe Charger Macbook & Pro? - HELP!
    Hi i have a Macbook 13.3 inch white with a MagSafe 85W Charger and i was just wondering if i could also use the same charger with a Macbook Pro?
    would there be any compatability issues?
    I've been told that Macbook pro's work with 60W Chargers..

Thanks

-Sikander

Specs:
    4.1 Mac Pro. 15" MBP. 13" MBP. 17" PB. PM G5. iPhone 6S+ 64gb Gold. Apple Watch 42mm.
    It will work, but charging a battery that is meant to be charged with a 60W charger, and using an 85W charger instead, *can* lead to problems because it is taking in more power than it is intended to. Mostly, things go wrong if there is already something unusual with the battery, because the new batteries will stop themselves from over charging. Using a 60W charger in place of an 85W charger is OK though.
    “If you are distressed by anything external, the pain is not due to the thing itself but to your own estimate of it; and this you have the power to revoke at any moment.” Marcus Aurelius

Specs:
    thanks alot, but you can also use a 60W charger for a Macbook that Needs an 85W?
    Oh and wheer can i find out what W charger i actually need? because I've had 2 85W in the space of 5 months and im going onot my 3rd.. and im questioning if im using the right W charger.. thanks

Specs:
    4.1 Mac Pro. 15" MBP. 13" MBP. 17" PB. PM G5. iPhone 6S+ 64gb Gold. Apple Watch 42mm.
    You can find them online at places such as ebay, but unless it's absolutely brand new, you never know what you are really getting. I prefer genuine batteries/chargers for computers. And when looking, make sure you match the OUTPUT Volts and AMPS.
    “If you are distressed by anything external, the pain is not due to the thing itself but to your own estimate of it; and this you have the power to revoke at any moment.” Marcus Aurelius

Specs:
    alright i have a last query.. my battery is a Li-Ion 1.8V 55WH
    does that mean i have to use a 60W charger? becuase im not sure.. help much appreciated

-Sikander

Specs:
    Currently 13" Late 2010 MBA, 4GB/128GB; Early 2011 13" MBP, dual core i7 2.7ghz, 4gb ram, 500gb hd
    Macbooks and Macbook Pros can use higher voltage chargers, but not lower voltage chargers. (Verified at Apple Portables: Troubleshooting MagSafe adapters) The 85w charger ships with the 15" and 17" MBP, the 60w ships with the 13" models and the Airs ship with a 45w adapter. Using a higher voltage adapter isn't a problem because the adapter can step down power to compensate for the lower voltage device. However, a lower voltage charger on a larger computer will not charge properly, and in the event that the battery is completely dead, won't provide enough juice to boot the computer.

What I do recommend, though, for people who travel regularly to other countries with different voltage settings than the US is to have two chargers, one for US, one for travel. I have seen many power adapters after about the third trip or so that simply stop working. The chargers will work fine if they're kept on a 220v current, or if they're kept on a 110v current, but bouncing between the two can wreak havoc on them.

Specs:
    aaah that is incredibly helpful thank you sooo much! im in the UK and dont travel much so its ok!

One last thing..
    Macbook air - 45W Charger
    Macbook - 60W
    Mackbook Pro - 85W

Is this correct yes??

Specs:
    Currently 13" Late 2010 MBA, 4GB/128GB; Early 2011 13" MBP, dual core i7 2.7ghz, 4gb ram, 500gb hd
    Correct, apart from the 13" MacBook Pro... it'll use the 60w.

Specs:
    o okay, thats fine then helped me out alot, much appreciated!

Thread Information