New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

repair disk

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

DELINDA

DELINDA is on a distinguished road

Can I use my osx start up disk that came with my mac 15" mbp to restart up my 13" mb..? And how is it done, I have watched a video, that says to press and hold the C key etc... But at what point do I install the disk in order to restart? Thanks
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

No. You need the original startup DVD for the 13" MB. The startup DVDs are specific for the hardware they were shipped with. If you no longer have the original startup DVD for the MB, you can buy a copy of Snow Leopard for $29 from Apple or Best Buy and use that instead.
QUOTE Thanks
DELINDA

DELINDA is on a distinguished road

Can I use Time machine and how is this done ?
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

A Time Machine backup is not bootable. You still need to boot the machine with the original startup DVD in order to reinstall. During the reinstall process you will be asked if you have a backup. That's when you can use the TM backup to restore everything.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Help With Trojan (?) | Late 2008 MacBook Pro blinking screen »