New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

Hard Drive Upgrade shenanigans. help/advice needed

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

chrsb5

chrsb5 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 15" MPB

My mid 2009 15" MPBs(2.53ghz, 4gb ram, 10.6.6) 250gb factory drive was starting to fill up, so naturally I opted to upgrade to a faster, 500gb drive.

I've had good luck ordering parts from newegg.com in the past with excellent customer service so I turned there for my new drive. I ordered a Seagate Momentus XT 500gb drive, I couldn't for the life of me get the OS to load/boot. After sticking the drive in an enclosure, formating and partitioning it, I first tried to use Carbon Copy Cloner to copy my existing drive. CCC would complete, and I'd try to boot from the new drive only to get the flashing folder question mark and circle with the line through it. I reformatted/partitioned and this time zero'd the disk out and tryed using SuperDuper to create the clone with the same results.

At this point I figured I was sent a bum drive, newegg sent me a replacement. Went through the same process with SuperDuper, I was able to get a boot, but the machine hung with the spinning beachball after a moment or two. Powered off then on, only to get the grey screen/questionmark folder/circle.

At this point, I booted from the CD, format,partitioned and attempted to load from my factory OS DVD (10.6.4) the install would hang at 27 min remaining, even after letting it sit overnight(8+ hours) Attempted this at least twice.

I did a little more reading and found that there's been reports of issues with the XT and Macs. Returned the second XT for a refund.

Picked up another Seagate from Best Buy, this time a regular Momentus. Formatted/partitioned and used SuperDuper to clone. It worked flawlessly. I wasn't happy with the amount of noise this drive made and felt that it should be a little faster, so I ordered yet another drive from newegg.com. This time a Western Digital Scorpio Black, 500gb.

I've tried both cloning from my origional HDD(once) installing from the DVDs and using migration assistant to restore from a time machine backup and once installing from the DVDs and manually reinstalling all my programs.
No matter what, the WD drive will hang on boot, spinning beachball, and repeatedly freeze, every minute or two, sometime with the beachball, sometimes without.

So afte 4 hard drives, numerous attempts and many many hours, I'm still stuck at square one, using the factory drive. Is there an issue with drives from newegg that I'm not aware of? Is there a comparability issue with both the Seagate XT and WD Scorpio Black? My methodology hasn't changed from drive to drive. Before I order a 5th drive, this time from OWC does anyone have a clue about what's going on here?
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz OS X.9.4

Have you gone into Partition, even if for only one partition, then in to Options and selected GUID as the partitioning system and formatted Mac OS Extended (Journalled)?

Hang on to those original install discs like grim death! Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!
QUOTE Thanks
chrsb5

chrsb5 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 15" MPB

Quote:
Originally Posted by harryb2448 View Post
Have you gone into Partition, even if for only one partition, then in to Options and selected GUID as the partitioning system and formatted Mac OS Extended (Journalled)?
Yes on both counts.
QUOTE Thanks
normanio

normanio is on a distinguished road

I don't have any personal experience with newegg but OWC @ macsales.com is a sure thing. They are catering specifically to Mac owners and have technical support available via phone or internet. I replaced my HDD with an SSD I bought from them and it was very straight forward. The prices may vary from newegg but to me the prices weren't off the wall. Check them out and if you order from them, you can phone in your order and ask to speak to a technical oriented person to clear up any questions you might have.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Weird Mac Book Charging problem. | problems installing program »