New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

Asking opinion on iBook quirk?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

gbsothere

gbsothere is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: iBook G4 10.4.11

Specs: 1.33 GHz, 12" iBook (December 2005) 40 GB HD running Tiger 10.4.11

In your opinion, what might make an iBook go "black" only when plugged in, but fine when running off battery power? It seems to be alright plugged in when either running off the installation disk or in Safe Mode but, when started regularly, it goes black when using AC (fine with DC). Permissions show nothing needing to be corrected. Disk verifies "OK". Battery charges fully.

There are no other issues (that I'm aware of) other than the iBook going black a few seconds after I plug in the charger.

NOTE REGARDING AHT: Installation disks did come with this particular iBook, but no Apple Hardware Test disk. However, yesterday, while working on another iBook, I had to fire this one up in target mode, fire the other one up holding down the Option key and I noticed that, with the installation disk in the target iBook, Apple Hardware Test was a start-up option for the iBook started with the Option Key held down. Apparently, it's on the installation disk but I can't seem to access it simply by starting from the installation disk. (It only showed up when using the firewire..... if any of that makes sense.)

If anyone has a suggestion as to what could be causing this "black-out during AC connection" event, I'd appreciate your insight.
QUOTE Thanks
gbsothere

gbsothere is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: iBook G4 10.4.11

Well, alrighty, then...

(I think I've figured it out. Disregard.)
QUOTE Thanks
pershingd

pershingd is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro, 2.3 Ghz, 4 gb RAM

What was it?
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Per pigoo3's suggestion I got a used MBP 13 | CD drive »