New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

1TB drive upgrade macbook pro

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

torrit

torrit is on a distinguished road

Hi Guys,

I spoke to my local Apple store last week as I want to upgrade my 320 drive for a 1tb drive. The guy said they had tested a number of drives but found that they didn't quite fit and he was worried about overheating. He suggested a 500gb drive but I won't bother as the difference isn't enough.

Can anybody recommend a 1tb that works ok as I may have a go at doing the upgrade myself.

Thanks

Tom Mcguire

macbook pro5,1
2.93 GHz
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by torrit View Post

Can anybody recommend a 1tb that works ok as I may have a go at doing the upgrade myself.
The drive needs to be 9.5mm in height...most if not all 1 terabyte drives are "thicker" (12.5mm)...and that's why there are issues as the Apple person mentioned.

If you can find a 9.5mm 1.0 terabyte height drive...then you're good to go....but I'm not sure they exist yet.

- Nick

- Too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
Buzzard2010

Buzzard2010 is just really niceBuzzard2010 is just really niceBuzzard2010 is just really niceBuzzard2010 is just really niceBuzzard2010 is just really nice
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 15" 2014, 2.2GHz i7, 16GB RAM, 250GB SSD, OSX 10.9.5 - iPhone 5s 16gb

Been doing alot of googling on this subject as I would love a 1tb internal drive for my MacBook Pro, unfortunately can't find anything on the matter and I am presuming the same as Pigoo that they simple just don't exist at the moment Think what I might do is save quite a bit, get a 256 SSD for the the macbook and get a 1tb drive external, with a partition on it for time machine and the rest for anything I don't constantly need / use.

- Simon

If you have been helped, don't forget to use the Reputation system at the top right of their post.
May 2011
Nominated: March 2011 & April 2011
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzzard2010 View Post
Been doing alot of googling on this subject as I would love a 1tb internal drive for my MacBook Pro, unfortunately can't find anything on the matter and I am presuming the same as Pigoo that they simple just don't exist at the moment Think what I might do is save quite a bit, get a 256 SSD for the the macbook and get a 1tb drive external, with a partition on it for time machine and the rest for anything I don't constantly need / use.

- Simon
I have a feeling that instead of making "thinner" (9.5mm) 1 terabyte drives (currently 12.0-12.5mm) to fit into older Macintosh laptops...when 1 terabyte drives (in the future) become the "norm" or common in laptops...Apple will simply redesign MacBook Pros (maybe MacBooks as well)...to safely accept the 12.5mm 1.0 terabyte & larger 2.5" hard drives.

I know some folks have posted on Mac-Forums trying to fit the 12.5mm into their MacBook Pro's...and found the fit to be VERY tight if forced. Kind of like putting one or two pairs of pants too many into a suitcase, and having to sit on it to get it closed!

They then decided to remove the 12.5mm drive...return the drive...and get the largest 9.5mm drive they could find (generally a 500 gig).

- Nick

- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
QUOTE Thanks
Buzzard2010

Buzzard2010 is just really niceBuzzard2010 is just really niceBuzzard2010 is just really niceBuzzard2010 is just really niceBuzzard2010 is just really nice
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 15" 2014, 2.2GHz i7, 16GB RAM, 250GB SSD, OSX 10.9.5 - iPhone 5s 16gb

I'm sure that eventually a 1tb 9.5mm drive will be available, just have to be patient I suppose, just like a lot of things.

- Simon

If you have been helped, don't forget to use the Reputation system at the top right of their post.
May 2011
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

Quote:
I'm sure that eventually a 1tb 9.5mm drive will be available, just have to be patient I suppose, just like a lot of things.

- Simon
Anything is possible.

What I'm thinking is...since Windows computers:

- make up approx. 90% of all computers sold (not sure of the exact Mac vs. Windows laptop breakdown)
- all (or probably all) 1 terabyte 2.5" laptop hard drives at this point are 12.0 - 12.5mm in height
- these 12.5mm height drives do safely fit into most modern Windows laptops (otherwise these 2.5" hard drives would only be used as external storage).

...that there is no real driving economic force to encourage 2.5" laptop manufacturers to reduce the "thickness" of 2.5" 1.0 terabyte (and larger drives) to a "thinner" 9.5mm size...since Macintosh laptops make up such a small proportion of the overall laptop market.

Of course...laptop manufacturers (both Apple & Windows manufacturers)...are always looking for ways to make laptops thinner & lighter...so this could be a "driving force" to encourage hard drive manufacturers to reduce the thickness of 2.5" 1.0 terabyte (and larger drives) to a thinner 9.5mm height.

But...with the inclusion of SSD drives starting to take place in laptop computers...if the price, performance, longevity, and durability of SSD drives starts to displace traditional hard drives...this could also be a driving force against reducing the thickness of 2.5" 1.0 terabyte drives from 12.0-12.5mm to 9.5mm (since traditional hard drive storage would become obsolete).

Hey...just my humble opinions or theories. If I had all the answers...my investment accounts would be 7 figures or more!

- Nick

QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, Yosemite

Good points Nick. Of course if one wanted to buy a 1 TB SSD or Flash unit, they could always pay a visit to their nearest credit union and apply for a low interest loan!
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

Quote:
Originally Posted by chscag View Post
Good points Nick. Of course if one wanted to buy a 1 TB SSD or Flash unit, they could always pay a visit to their nearest credit union and apply for a low interest loan!
YIKES...do they even make a 1TB SSD yet? If so...I'm afraid to know how much!!!

- Nick

QUOTE Thanks
Buzzard2010

Nah i've looked for that aswell probably in the region of a small retreat cottage

- Simon

May 2011
QUOTE Thanks
Lbatson21

Lbatson21 has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: 2011 Mac mini and 2010 13" MacBook Pro, iPhone 4 and iPad

WD and Toshiba make up to a 750 GB 9.5mm hard drive for now. Can't find anything smaller than 12.5mm for a 1 TB drive.
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, Yosemite

Yes, that's correct. The 750GB drives by WD and Toshiba are the largest capacity drives currently available that will comfortably fit in an Apple notebook computer. Some folks have stated that the 17" MBP has a bit more room and can accommodate a 1 TB 12.5 MM drive. However, as much as the 17" MBP machines cost, I would certainly hate to take a chance to only gain 250 GB of space.
QUOTE Thanks
AUZambo

AUZambo will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: 2006 Macbook Pro 15.4" glossy screen, 2.16 ghz, 640 gb, 2 gb ram

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lbatson21 View Post
WD and Toshiba make up to a 750 GB 9.5mm hard drive for now. Can't find anything smaller than 12.5mm for a 1 TB drive.
Beat me to it. I'm sure they'll eventually fit a TB in a 9.5 mm casing, but they do at least have 750 GB, which would more than double the OP's original HD. In addition to that, he'd get to use the old 320 GB HD as an external HD.
QUOTE Thanks
Buzzard2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by chscag View Post
Yes, that's correct. The 750GB drives by WD and Toshiba are the largest capacity drives currently available that will comfortably fit in an Apple notebook computer. Some folks have stated that the 17" MBP has a bit more room and can accommodate a 1 TB 12.5 MM drive. However, as much as the 17" MBP machines cost, I would certainly hate to take a chance to only gain 250 GB of space.
I definitely wouldn't chance my luck at this kind of thing, especially as it is something that will definitely void any kind of warranty, stuffing a drive that is larger than specified.

- Simon

May 2011
QUOTE Thanks
AUZambo

AUZambo will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: 2006 Macbook Pro 15.4" glossy screen, 2.16 ghz, 640 gb, 2 gb ram

Quote:
I definitely wouldn't chance my luck at this kind of thing, especially as it is something that will definitely void any kind of warranty, stuffing a drive that is larger than specified.

- Simon
Stuffing a drive that won't fit probably will void the warranty, but upgrading the hard drive with a compatible HD will not.
QUOTE Thanks
Buzzard2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by AUZambo View Post
Stuffing a drive that won't fit probably will void the warranty, but upgrading the hard drive with a compatible HD will not.
Yeah, that's why I said "larger than specified."

- Simon

May 2011
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Upgrading, please help with backup and restore | 2010 Macbook Pro - Charger no longer working properly, Can I get a free replacement? »